advertisement

Ortofon 2m Red vs Shure M97XE on a RB300

PinkFushy

I recently purchased a Rega Planar 3 with RB300 that was fitted with a A&R p77 but the stylus is totally trashed and i cant afford getting a Jico SAS for it.
I have about £100 to spend at the absolute most and i have narrowed it down to either a Ortofon 2m red for £80 or a Shure M97XE for £70.

What would you guys recommend would go well with the Rega Planar 3 + RB300?

Im leaning towards the m97xe becuase i have read it has a more analog sound and the ortofon 2m red has a more digital sound.....

I also have never done this before so i want it to be easy...are any of them more difficult to set up? any of them built better? will i need to use spacers? sorry for all the questions

If it helps, my setup is
Im using a ART DJ II Preamp to NAD c372 with B&W 602 speakers or Grado sr225.
I listen to mostly rock , classical , jazz and some electronic music.

Both cartridges are very good indeed. However the Sure is getting a little long in the tooth. I would plumb for the Ortofon. All of the 2M series are excellent contempory devices and great value for money.

Main different between them is tonality.
Into standard loading typical on most stages the Ortofon will sound brighter, livelier and more projected. The Shure is warmer, laid back and softer toned by comparison.

The one major plus for the Ort is the ability to fit a better stylus when funds allow.

My teenage son has a Red on his Planer 3 and it sounds great through my old Audiolab and JBL L1's :)

Thanks for the replies....I guess i keep the m97xe in mind because my girlfriend has hyperacusis and high frequencies hurt her ears but i would say my Nad c372 and B&W 602 already have a rather warm sound so im worried the m97xe might be too dark.

Same goes for the Ortofon 2m Red (I wont ever be upgrading to blue)....i am worried it will be too bright for her, maybe not as piercing as a AT95e. Im sure this also makes it a bit more detailed so i do keep coming back to the Ortofon.

Not a easy decision..they have quite a large following with many good things said about both but it seams as though more people recommend the 2m Red.

I know nothing about hyperacusis, and having had a 2m Red and M97, I would agree that the 2M is a little more "defined," a bit sharper. Its not that there are high frequencies that are absent on the Shure, its just a bit "brighter" at all frequencies. If your girlfriend can listen to a CD, I doubt the 2M would bother her. But then I'm not your girlfriend.....

I have a AO Modified RB251 tonearm and I did originally have the 2M Blue on it. I replaced it with a Nagaoka MP-11 Boron and liked it so much that I now have a Nagaoka MP-50.

What I liked with the Nagaoka cartridges is that the sound has a rich midrange, warm bass and treble sounded so natural, cymbals rung nicely with no splashing. Also vocals were presented a lot nicer. Another bonus I am finding is that the Nagaoka cartridges eliminate surface noise far better than any other cartridge I have tried.

For the price range you have in mind I would consider the Nagaoka MP-110.

Thanks for the replies....I guess i keep the m97xe in mind because my girlfriend has hyperacusis and high frequencies hurt her ears but i would say my Nad c372 and B&W 602 already have a rather warm sound so im worried the m97xe might be too dark.

The difference between them is clearly audible but it's only a couple of dB in practice at the top end. I know nothing of hyperacusis but with those cartridges we aren't talking one being so bright as to shriek or the other sounding muffled. It's much more subtle.

Wow that Nagoaka Mp-110 looks interesting! From what i read it is fantastic at hiding crackling, unlike the Ortofon red which is very sensitive to it. It also has been described as a warm cart with inoffensive highs.
Il have to look into it. Now i have 3 to choose from haha.

EDIT: wow some people are really loving this "hidden gem" even to the point of calling it better than their 2m blue or m97xe with jico sas!!
Im gonna keep reading but mp110 is jumped up to my number 1 choice...

Thanks samz!

advertisement

Back