advertisement

Naim UnitiLite looks like a killer product

Naim need some appropriate speakers to pair with these systems, I'm surprised that they haven't rebadged some Focal speakers to go with them.

Many people who are drawn to all in one systems like the decisions to be made for them, choice of speakers could be one of them

Fair point Clay. My comment was based on the fact that China is becoming an increasingly important market for Naim. Most young people I meet think that an iPod is the pinnacle of music reproduction (a friend of my daughter has a turntable and loves vinyl so there is still hope). I have to conclude that UK/Europe/USA is a mature to declining market for hi-fi. Aspirational types in the Far East love the cachet of owning something made in the UK. I suspect that Naim are fully aware of this and helps to explain the entry level all-in-one.

Regards
Mike

50 watt just seems like too little...

For what ?

I've heard many 50w playing the assh out of some 200W so everything is relative

What's much more interesting in my view, is it based on the current 5i technologi, the Qute or something completely different ?

I think I'd miss the puck
''

this is what they should have done on their first Uniti

a puck is fine for the audiophile but for kitchens, family places, children, wifes (sometime) it has no place

no puck, better sales

A complete bedroom solution to good music reproduction. I'm definitively interested in this product.

It does look like a really interesting product: a bit underpowered, and with a few hidden caveats (ALAC only to 24/96, for instance), but well conceived, neatly executed and nicely priced. Almost makes me regret not being a Naim dealer!

The 24/96 esthetically is a very nice product, but in my Naim system (72/250/Credo) is quite unlistenable. With naim cables it's annoying on the high-freqs and lacks some lower freqs... with Chord cadenza it kills my ears! Maybe they should review the dac section.
I haven't tested the integrated amp, but the software is one of the nicer I've used. (compared to linn and simpleaudio)

Any individual reviews of this yet, or ones that that compare it to the Naim Uniti 1, 2 or Unitiqute?

KR, LongJohn

Just read first reviews of Unitilite.Seems like it may be good alternative to the Uniti 2 which I was striving to save for. Use the 1 k saving for speakers? Anyone any thoughts yet on a pair of speakers in the ?1000/1200 price bracket that would be good and not be out of their depth if power amp added to the Unitilite? Thanks

This seems like the future of Hi Fi. I hope we see other companies to the same in the future.
The only missing is a couple of more inputs and an internal HDD.

Saw one yesterday and it looks impressive.
I wish it could use the swing-out disc drawer but something has to give at the price.
Naim do seem to be pulling out the stops of late and lets hope they do well on it.

My comment was based on the fact that China is becoming an increasingly important market for Naim. Most young people I meet think that an iPod is the pinnacle of music reproduction (a friend of my daughter has a turntable and loves vinyl so there is still hope). I have to conclude that UK/Europe/USA is a mature to declining market for hi-fi. Aspirational types in the Far East love the cachet of owning something made in the UK. I suspect that Naim are fully aware of this and helps to explain the entry level all-in-one.

It's not the case that market demand is declining in North America–far from it, but rather that earning power has decreased amongst the younger demographic, enough so that imported brands must set a much higher standard for value than previously. There are some great audio brands currently being manufactured in North America at the moment (and some budget products manufactured in the Far East under American marques), many with content-oriented features that parallel those found in one's smartphone or automobile.

Add to this the fact that our heavily-connected world is far more cognizant of exchange rates and distributor margins, and one suddenly finds it hard to justify a new purchase of an imported brand through the usual (domestic) channels. When products can be purchased directly from retailers within the manufacturer's home market, it is expected that their design will be simplified and built to survive the long freight trip to the end user.

The Chinese market is not so radically far removed from the American or European markets at the high end as people often think. The problem lies in making the case for quality vis-a-vis a Chinese brand in the world market–let alone its own (domestic) one.

Just sold my olive gear to join the 'modern' world. The ULite seems like the perfect companion to me with the digital connctions I'm interested in and even something called a CD player! Trading 6 boxes one and still made in a western democracy (it seems) where the employees gets a fair pay and can join the union if they so wish.

The Nait2 I still have can act as a decent phono amp and join in on the planned multi room kit.

JohanR

From the review I've read it sounds like Naim think the CD player won't be used long term - once the user has adapted to the benefits of streaming. That's probably one of the reasons not to go to the expense of the swing out drawer.

It does sound like a very good product and if I was starting a system again I'd definitely be giving it a very long look and thinking about what speakers to match it with.

Using one as part of a second dining room system with PMC DB1i speakers and they produce a very nice sound. All inputs work well - iRadio, iPod input, CD and UPNP and even internet radio doesn't sound too shabby.

advertisement

Back