advertisement

Improving sound quality in Squeezebox touch

Conan

Loop digger
Hi all,

Some time ago I saw a link on PFM regarding changing some settings on SBT to improve sound quality as well as streaming.
Problem is that i can not find it.

Does any of you guys know which link I am talking about?

Thanks

Largely a waste of time.

To be fair, that view is not universally held. I have a couple of mates who are convinced the Soundcheck mods improve their SQ and both have 'good ears' :) . In any case, reversing them back to factory settings is dead simple so why not try them for yourself?
Dave.

To be fair, that view is not universally held. I have a couple of mates who are convinced the Soundcheck mods improve their SQ and both have 'good ears' :) . In any case, reversing them back to factory settings is dead simple so why not try them for yourself?
Dave.

The theory quoted on that site is mostly a load of tripe, and I do not think it can possibly have an audible effect. But if it makes people happy to tinker, then fair enough...

If you have a good DAC, you can try also this:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...tal-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

Triode plugin not only allows 24/192 playback, but also makes the spdif output in some way better (less jitter ?)

First install Triode plugin and then install TT 3.0 and configure your LMS as soundcheck advices. With those two free software tweaks my system sounds as good, as never before ;)

Take care about every element in the streaming chain - NAS/notebook/LMS configuration, network, network cables, linear power supply for SBT and then SBT can compete with really expensive streamers ...

Using MDAC connected with USB to SBT also works wonders.

If you want a change in character from the SBT you could try an external dac. I use a rega dac as it makes a good solid base for the sbt. I haven't tried an async usb dac and I won't be either. I am not an expert, I don't have golden ears. I have been put off messing with the software as I am averse to bullshit. Searching through reams of bollocks information for tiny improvements does my head in.

The Rega made a great improvement to the DAC in my TV. (But that's not exactly surprising!)

Don't use usb on the rega dac as it is limited to 16/48 max. USB audio will only do a max of 24/96 anyway but if you are using a laptop this will be much better as spdif on computers tend to be of poor quality and prone to jitter.

Agreed with DAC recommenders. A friendly local retailer might even let you borrow a few to try first (there are quite a few in the £300-£500 bracket).

Don't use usb on the rega dac as it is limited to 16/48 max. USB audio will only do a max of 24/96 anyway but if you are using a laptop this will be much better as spdif on computers tend to be of poor quality and prone to jitter.

Er it's a SBT not a computer.

SBT is just a small computer with Arm cpu running with Linux operating system.

+1

One of the main benefit's of triodes EDO (I'm using 7 or 0.7 or whatever the latest incarnation is), apart from the USB out capability, is that one can switch off any unnecessary processing...so if you're only using digital out the on-board DAC is turned off, and furthermore if you're only using the USB out the SPDIF is off or vice versa...

Add to that triodes additional plugin 'Screen Off' or is it 'Screen Dark'? Something like that anyway, this allows the screen to turn off completely when you've selected the 'Screen Dark' screensaver option.

So given that the SBTouch is a little linux computer, it works better when it's not performing redundant tasks :)

The other obvious way to improve an SBTouch is via its PSU, an SBooster is quite a good value upgrade IMHO, or even a linear PSU for a few more sponds...

How silly of me. My server obviously, being a computer really affects the music it sends to my streamers. The streamer is another computer, I must remove all computing from my system or problems will just happen all over the place.

Most DACs are computers too including the async thingies. Oops.

"So given that the SBTouch is a little linux computer, it works better when it's not performing redundant tasks." - I'd be interested to understand why you believe this. Is it because you have heard improvement or is because some other expert suggest the conclusion? I've spent ages asking for evidence, but no-one has helped.

You see my server based system provides great sound with easy access to most of my music.

It's the same with films that I stream to my TV. I can't tell any difference between locally played stuff and streamed stuff. Except playing good video on my TV looks a lot better than stuff played locally on my computer.

On your last point , I use s super regulator power supply for two of my squeezeboxes and I'm not sure I can tell the difference. I just like messing about with power supplies.

After my Rega dac I am currently experimenting with a buffer and an avondale amplifier. The avondale does appear to sound better than a nap 140. Just a bit smoother and nicer to listen to.

I added a decent aftermarket linear PSU to mine and believe that it improved things. Mine was a Welbourne labs unit.

advertisement

Back