advertisement

Best 10 Manchester Bands.

Nearly forgot the Bee Gees.

M people

neither really my cup of tea but notable nonetheless.

Elkie Brooks was good at one point though.

Am I too old for this thread?

Not forgetting tractor from Rochdale, who were rated highly in their day.

1. Van der Graaf Generator
  2. The Chameleons
  3. Joy Division
  4. The Durutti Column
  5. The Fall
  6. Magazine
  7. Buzzcocks
  8. A Certain Ratio
  9. The Hollies
  10. The Smiths

The Smirks anyone?
First band I ever saw at the LSE ( I was not a student there, by the way) in 1978.

Cheers

Tony

1, The Smiths
2, The Buzzcocks
3, James
4, The Stone Roses (best album)
5, The Charlatans
6, New Order
7, Oasis (first 2 albums only for me)
8, Joy Division
9, Toss The Feathers
10, Paris Angels

Great shout for Toss the Feathers...one of the finest Irish/folk bands to see live. Mickey McGoldrick has moved on to greater things, but remember seeing them at the Carousel as a four piece, and arguably at their acoustic best before the addition of drums and bass.

Anyone remember Albertos Y Los Trios Paranoia ...used to play the Lamplight club, amongst others, in Chorlton

I think JD/NO win based on number quality tunes etc (and the spin offs you can add .. electronic etc)

but all the lists here are fine by me

adding ... for some non indie balance ..

808 State
Chemical brothers
FSOL

Maybe not top 10 but worthy of mention Swing out sister.. just liked the voice.

I have a soft spot for Crispy Ambulance - The Plateau Phase is an excellent album.

Another obscure Manc band I have fond memories of is Yargo. They were terrific live but never managed to capture that energy on their (two?) studio albums.

Just found video footage of Yargo live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGb3v214530&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaNU6BtSJjY

I was at the first concert at GMB National College in Whalley Range (!) - one of those silhouetted bobbing heads is probably mine!

Actually Vinnie my friends would find it very funny that I didn't mention ginger myself.. not that I have any of the vinyl myself you understand.

The New Fast Automatic Daffodils. 'Body, Exit, Mind' is a rather good and extremely idiosyncratic album.

Joy Division
Buzzcocks
The Hollies (Seriously!)
The Charlatans
Happy Mondays
Stone Roses
Magazine
Oasis
The Smiths
John Cooper-Clark

Chris

Compared to The Rolling Stones and The Sex Pistols, all bands from Manchester are rubbish apart from Happy Mondays, Joy Division and John Cooper-Clark.

I went to see The Stone Roses in Heaton Park at the weekend, they weren't bad.

Shame about the fat, forty-something audience, all pilled off their heads. The rain and mud didn't help.

Jack

and not to mention....Barclay James Harvest......(I said don't mention Barclay James Harvest) too late !

advertisement

Back