advertisement

identify the Kimber power cable

kwmason

Won Ton On
When i purchased my pre-power amp set up i was told it came with a pair of kimber power leads. One is identifiable by the yellow tag etc but the other which is much thicker has no markings clear.

It is extremely thick and fairly rigid and when you feel beneath the outer sheath it is 2 thick cores each as thick as a standard power cable but firm.

pictures here show how fat it is compared to the plug etc

www.flickr.com/photos/16554227@N08/7336972996/in/photostream
www.flickr.com/photos/16554227@N08/7336976174/in/photostream/
www.flickr.com/photos/16554227@N08/7336978914/in/photostream/
www.flickr.com/photos/16554227@N08/7336981588/in/photostream/

any ideas?

To make a nice premium cable "phat" hosepipe is often used filled with leadshot/ball bearings/gel/sand/name-your-neurosis... purely for RF/Microphonic/Quantum Infrasoniq™ reasons I hasten to add, not to make the cable look fatter then it really is... There is "Real Science" involved.

Whoever made it could at least have used some heatshrink going into the Plug. Very messy.

A ring of wood with a fancy company logo would not go amiss either -- sign of a real pro. Again, the wood would be there not for foo reasons at all but to add a certain "organic richness" to the energy transmission. Makes it more holistic-like. Just ask anyone with bits of wood on their power and signal cables. Very serious stuff. get some wood on them and heatshrink and we can do a proper cable thread.

i never said i was a cable believer/unbeliever guys, but i happen to have acquired this so wonder what the hell it is.

It looks DIY because of the lack of a tidily terminated plug and a baby IEC not even the bottom of the range wattgate which suggests its probably either something like 6mm steel armoured wire (SWA) or its ordinary flex in a a bit of hosepipe which is a common tactic for both charlatans and respected cable makers in this industry.

Its a tube with some wrap over it -- that is all anyone is going to know without opening it up

KW, your tablecloth really does tie the room together though is it.

Perhaps you could ask Russ Abbott about the wire?

DS

These look like Krystal Kables, perhaps Titans. Don't think they are around any longer. They were designed by Frank who used to post quite regularly on Hifiwigwam.

just looked up Krystal Kables and the image i found for the titan looks identical, thanks sukalite.

the table cloth was also acquired and not purchased lol

advertisement

Back