advertisement

Should I bi-wire my speakers?

It's worth trying both, to my ears its better to connect the speaker cable to the high frequency and use a solid core cable as a jumper to the bass switch them around and you will hear a difference

Show me where it isnt

It's just not right. How can you cope with none compliance with what is reasonable?

As long as you don't say it sounds better, i will defend your right to wire the speakers anyway you wish.

They must sound slightly different, but it's clearly not audible.

It's worth trying both, to my ears its better to connect the speaker cable to the high frequency and use a solid core cable as a jumper to the bass switch them around and you will hear a difference

cobblers, in my h opinion. How can it sound different? Mine go into the bass first but there's no good reason for that.

What you want is 'F' plugs on the cable rather than jumpers. Two plugs in parallel on the end of the cable so that you can plug into both sockets with the one cable.

Or remove the socket plate from the speaker a rewire it for single wire.

Mr Pig is spot on right

Bi-wire is the hifi humbug of two decades and its providing two things, more sales for cable manufacturers and a degraded sound for end users

I think it mainly gained acceptance because buyers wanted it, as they always want more assuming that more is better.

Mr Pig is right F is the answer and what I do. However I probably couldn't guess which speaker was bi-wired, had an F connector rather than a bit of bell wire or scarily a twist of tinfoil as a jumper in a blind test. The F makes me feel secure.

It's very simple. You just solder two sets of plugs on the ends of the cable so that they can plug into the two sockets on the speakers:

F-plug.jpg

Don't forget to remove the link plates on the speakers.

It's very easy to do with Naim speaker plugs as they have a slot on the end of the pin. With some plugs and heavy cables it will be impossible to do properly.

Hi,
Would anyone care to explain to a newbie what F wiring is and how it's done?
Thanks a lot!

Imagine a speaker plug soldered at right angles to the end of the speaker cable. Then another soldered at a right angle 3cm below it making an F shape.
The top one plugs into the top hole and the bottom into the bottom hole. Sounds no different to a jumper but feels like it does which is the same thing really.

Mr Pig beat me to it but he used a picture which is cheating.

Imagine a speaker plug soldered at right angles to the end of the speaker cable. Then another soldered at a right angle 3cm below it making an F shape.
The top one plugs into the top hole and the bottom into the bottom hole. Sounds no different to a jumper but feels like it does which is the same thing really.

Placebo...

Sounds no different to a jumper but feels like it does which is the same thing really.

The point is that it's not worse and it's cheaper.

With jumpers one socket has the cable plugged straight into it. The other has a plug and a screw connection so an extra connection relative to the other socket. I'm not saying that's a disaster but it's not better than the 'F' plugs and in theory at least the 'F' plugs win.

It's very easy to find out how either jumper leads or connector plates sound. Swap the incoming cable between the bass to treble sockets. I tried that years ago and the result was the 'F' plugs!

Ok Mr Pig, I think it sounds better too which is why I have done it. (and I had the jumpers so it was dearer for me)

Quoting Bruno Putzeys:

Speakers are nonlinear things, so a speaker's back EMF is distorted. If you use biwiring on a very low-impedance amp you can stop distortion generated in, say the woofer, from electrically cross-talking into the tweeter. With moderate impedance amps you can only get the same result with biamping. I think this is the only sensible explanation why biwiring sometimes sounds different. I'm not saying the effect is very big but it's hard to argue that it is always inaudible.

A lot is being said about sense or nonsense of biwiring but what it is about is that loudspeakers are nonlinear. If the woofer draws a distorted current, biwiring can prevent this current from causing distortion in the voltage going to the tweeter. What it takes is an amplifier with output impedance much lower than that of the speaker cable. Running two separate cables between the amp and speaker will make a difference. Since the amplifier feedback senses exactly where the speaker cable is connected, you can just connect two sets at the same point and be certain that the common impedance between the HF/LF current loops is just the amplifier's output impedance.

He is the John Westlake of Class D amplifiers and certainly known for his dislike of foo in audio:eek:

advertisement

Back