advertisement

High Quality Aluminium Enclosures?

dcathro

pfm Member
I was wondering if anybody knew where I can buy a strong high quality aluminium enclosure for making an external power supply.

I need something big enough to hold a couple of transformers (500va & 200va) plus some med size electrolytics. I estimate that 180mm x 100mm x 250mm should do it

Also the finish on this needs to be good (brushed aluminium & black)

I have looked at RS, CPC, etc, and their cases are either too small or very poorly finished. I have also found some companies that sell extrusion, but the biggest I have found is 160mm wide by 60mm high

Thanks

David

It's a big problem, nobody actually does decent cases of the type you suggest that I've managed to find.

Les at Avondale does good large cases for his amps that would probably be just the ticket but don't know the cost.

If you find a source keep us updated.

J

Take a look at this Italian website - select Cabinet & Chassis on the top left, then Hi-fi-2000 bottom left. I think the main part of the chassis is stell rather than alu, but the front plates are alu. I built a headamp for someone who supplied one of these cases, and it looked pretty nice.

Some HTPC cases are made from aluminium and I've seen some expertly finished ones. It might take some "customization" to get exactly what you require, but could be worth it.
I243449.jpg

RichardH said:
Take a look at this Italian website - select Cabinet & Chassis on the top left, then Hi-fi-2000 bottom left. I think the main part of the chassis is stell rather than alu, but the front plates are alu. I built a headamp for someone who supplied one of these cases, and it looked pretty nice.

Thanks Richard,

Again some nice cases, but I can't see anything there that will do the job. I need something half width, but with decent height and depth. It has to have a professional finish and not be made of steel.

Best Regards

David

Mike Sae said:
Some HTPC cases are made from aluminium and I've seen some expertly finished ones. It might take some "customization" to get exactly what you require, but could be worth it.
I243449.jpg

Hi Mike,

I have been looking at some of the HTPC cases, and have found some that may be good for other projects. Uneed and Silverstone, in particular, seemed good.

Thanks

David

advertisement

Back