advertisement

1980 and NWOBHM

Mr Perceptive

Perceptive Member
Slapped a CD on in the car today that sent me back in time and thinking - The CD - Diamond Head - Greatest Hits, still sounded good today and some of the riff work would give good competition to Tony Iommi (especially Am I Evil)

Anyway it cast me back to 1980, the old guard Black Sabbath relaunched with Ronnie James Dio, Rainbow were brought Down To Earth (especially after the dismal Donington set televised on BBC2 after which Cozy Powell left the band), Whitesnake were Ready'n'Willing, Gillan was Mr Universe, Ozzy was in a Blizzard, and EMI were releasing Deep Purple compilation after compilation (whats new) when....

Out of the East End came Iron Maiden strorming into the charts with Running Free (there one and onlt TOTP performance and the first band to play live for many years). From Barnsley came the tea drinkers Saxon (comfortably one of the worst concerts I've ever been to, fortuanately after they played 747 Strangers in The Night, the pubs were still open to rescue the evening!). From Sheffield came Def Leppard, relatively unknown in the UK but hit it big time later in the states.

Many others also appeared often guesting as support acts on the old guard tours, More, Samson, Tygers of Pan Tang, Raven, AIIZ, Praying Mantis, Girlschool (whose Motorhead connections made them famous), etc. What happened to them all?

My favourite (along with Iron Maiden) was Diamond Head who had an indie album Lightning to The Nations, difficult to get hold of even in 1980, followed up by Borrowed Time (1982) and Canterbury (1983). hailed by the press as the new Led Zeppelin the third album had shades of Led Zep II about it, then it all went wrong with a failed contract/management issue.

Meanwhile Iron Maiden went from strength to strength, replacing the unwilling tour lead singer with Bruce Dickinson from Samson (the band with the masked drummer). Heavily backed by EMI from the first LP, EMI were desperate for e new Deep Purple and even used Purple's engineer Martin Birch from the off. Even their live EP was a play on Purple's Made in Japan - Maiden Japan.

Across the water the Americans were getting ready Van Halen already had been stateside headliners and bands such as Twisted Sister were getting ready (scary thought!). Michael Schenker got on the wagon and launched his own post-UFO band and the Aussies (AC/DC) were regrouping with Brian Johnson to replace the late Bon Scott.

In 1980 many of these heavy rock acts got chart entries and the Reading Festival was a celebration of all things metal!

So do any of the PFMers have concert/gig memories (or even LP) from this period when Sounds and Kerrang were the publications to have?

What happened to many of these bands?

Some of you probably don't care, but it was an important part of my late teenage years.

I lived down in England in the West Midlands until 1983, when i left home to join the forces. Diamond Head used to play locally, one of my best buddies at school had some tenuous link to the band ( cousin, 2nd cousin, whatever...) and i remember we all used to sport The Diamond Head Logo ( a D superimposed over an H :) ) on the back panel of our Cut-off denim jackets.
I still have ( i think) an 4 page black and white DH program from that era, although it isn't in very good condition now I'm afraid. On the album front I'm surprised to say that i only own Canterbury and note that DH records go for top dollar when available.
Iron Maiden have always been my favorite metal act. The fact that they can still shoot to the top of the charts in 2005 ( however short the stay) so many years after i first saw them play live ( about 1981-2 at Wolverhampton civic hall ) is testament to their loyal fan base and the fact thay thay can still make a good metal record.

Favorite hard rock/Metal track of all time - it's gotta be ;Hallowed be thy name by Iron Maiden.

Funnily enough I was listenenng to 'Best of the Beast' on CD not two days ago . Strangely IM is one band where i have all of their albums, but only two on Vinyl, Iron Maiden-Iron Maiden and a live BBC transcription disc. I've seen Maiden live at :
Woverhapton Civic Hall in about 1981-2
Cornwall Colasseum in 1984-5 ( world slavery)
Cornwall Colesseum in 1987-8 ( somewhere on tour)
Donnington Monsters of rock 1992 - headline act
Glasgow Barrowlands ballroom 1995-6 ( Virtual Xi)

True story (if a bit of an aside). A good friend of mine was a huge Diamond Head fan. He was visiting his aunt, sady in a hospice, on a hot summer day. It got so warm he removed his jacket, only for someone to point out that the newly exposed t-shirt could be considered somewhat insensitive reading, as it did, 'Living on Borrowed Time'...

Just played the Motörhead “Golden Years” EP, after watching the prog on Ch 4 about them last night. Captures what they were like as a live band better than “No Sleep…” I reckon. Bloody brilliant.

Although I was weaned on the tail end of punk/new wave (via an elder brother) I started going to gigs at the time of the NWOBHM. The spectacle of a Motörhead, Judas Priest or Saxon gig at Newcastle City Hall was pretty awe-inspiring when you were 14. The best gig I can remember was a Saxon/Twisted Sister/Girlschool + others all-dayer at Leeds Queens Hall in about 1982. Futurama it wasn’t.

Heavy Metal always seems to be the Pantomime Dame of music, but as a visceral live let-yer-hair-down experience, it took a lot of beating. Saying that,I went right off all this stuff when they started perming their hair and pouting too much. Miserablism beckoned, with the Cure and The Smiths…

Funnily enough, a few years later I lived in Horncastle, Lincs.(Sid & Coke should make the connection..). Biff Byford, the lead singer of Saxon, who had seemed like some Heavy Metal Demi-God in my early teenage years, lived in the flat above the hairdresser’s opposite me, next to the chippie. He had a bonny wife (and a ropey Porsche 911), from what I remember.

Kev.

I was fortunate to be in Croydon, Surrey so I could get to London , Crawley and Brighton gigs, and in 1981 I went north to university (Hull), cosmopolitan it was not and hard rock ruled. This enabled be also to get to Sheffield, Bradford and Leeds for gigs.

Gigs that really stand out, Judas Priest in Hull City Hall, the warm up date for their 1981/2 tour, what a spectacle, Robert Plant on the Principle of Moments tour at Hammersmith Odeon, with James Patrick Page guesting in the encores, Sabbath in 82 (Mob Rules) at Hammersmith, Diamond Head at Hull Tower (a 500 people absolute max venue) and Magnum at Hull Tower.

And the best crowd reaction, when I saw Michael Schenker Group at Bradford when they announced just after the lead intro, that Graham Bonnet wouldn't be coming and Gary Barden had come back!!!!

And of course we mustn't forget the late Tommy Vance and his Friday Night Rock Show on Radio 1.

The problem with Diamond Head (IMHO), was that they were too much like Purple. Fine musicians, etc., but not original.
I saw Gillan at Retford Porterhouse just before Mr Univers came out - I was expecting jazz-rock and got metal with a big fat bass player who frother at the mouth.
I saw MSG and Priest around then.
Saxon, Thor, and some of the others were pretty missable (though I still know the riff to "747"), and I never liked Iron Railing.

I was a massive fan of NWOBHM and still have loads of vinyl from that time.......notably, Maiden's Soundhouse Tapes(the Rok hard original), Def Leps Bludgeon Riffola EP.
Sounds was the weekly to read and Geoff Barton was God. Tommy Vance in a pre MTV era was essential for maybe hearing some new stuff.
Having given a few bits a spin I would have to say that a lot of the more obscure stuff now sounds a bit dated, but Diamond Head..........Lars Ulrich has always been right about them. Tatler and Harris were good song writers - I have all the original independant releases, the white album etc.
I have fond memories of an afternoon spent at Hammy odeon for a DH soundcheck on the Canterbury tour.
For anyone interested they did release an acoustic (unplugged) ep in 2003 through the Fan Club - 4 classic 80's songs reworked.

Having more of a punk heritage I could never get on with the more bluesy stuff like Whitesnake & Gillan.
Priest are still going but are a pale shadow of their classic early 80's form. Saxon still tour and I believe are huge in Germany, hmm..
I went off Maiden after the first 3 albums - it all got a bit samey after that - but they went on to be huge : ditto Def Leppard.

I was totally into Motorhead (It did'nt come any heavier in those days)- saw em at Aylesbury Friars (overkill tour - one of my first ever gigs), and also at Hammy odeon so many times I cannot remember. The classic line-up Fast Eddie, Philthy Phil & Lemmy 1977-1982 still shreds now. Havent got round to watching the Ch4 documentary - is it any good ?

prowla

I would liken Diamond Head to have more influence from Zeppelin and Sabbath than Purple, but each to their own. Remember Zeppelin and Purple were heavily influenced by the blues sound (and rock'n'roll eg Speed King) and most of NWOBHM was influenced by 10 years previous; Purple, Zeppelin, Sabbath, so they are really no more of a rip-off than Peep Purple et al were back in the late 60's early 70's. The band that could be considered more original was actually Black Sabbath - no blues band generated their heavy kind of riffs!

The recent MOJO CD with tracks from the roots of Led Zeppelin was very revealing, on a number of tracks Page and Plant were no more than re-arrangers (The Might Re-arranger?) than authors, and I have recorded on tape the BBC Guitar Greats radio programme where Blackmore describes who he ripped off, and how he took this line from a song and Hendrix took that one, and they both had succesful songs from one blues original. Blackmore even uses the words "Rip Off"!!

adamk

I think the 'punk' heritage is what made early Iron Maiden, there was a lot of influence in the vocal delivery (and there is a lot of simulatrity with bands like the Damned)

I was never into Motorhead big time, though have always enjoyed individual tracks (Ace of Spades, etc)

Sid

Donnington Monsters of rock 1992 - headline act ( Crowd Surge, awesome, 20' and i didn't put a foot on the ground........but that bloody Rain.

Mr P

Your correct, Maiden didn't know which way to go in the early days, their career would have been a lot shorter if they gone via the Punk route.

Chaz

Maybe I only heard the Diamond Head that sounded exactly like Purple then...
I've had a wee Blackmore week - caught a Purple Biography and a making of Machine head doc on the biography channel, and then went to MVC and bought a Rainbow (post-dio) DVD with footage of Bonnet, the awful Joe-Lynne Turner, and Doogie White (who still seemed to be pinching himself how he'd lucked out with the gig with Blackmore). If you haven't heard Stranger In Us All, I'd well recommend it.

Back to NWOBHM, do you remember Thor? His trick was blowing up hot water bottles till they exploded.

Does anyone remember Slough's finest NWOBHM band Sledgehammer? or how about Iron Pig from sunny Staines?
No, I didn't think anyone would.
Second best best rock gig I ever went to was Motorhead at the Lyceum in their pre-Hammersmith Odeon days.
THe best rock gig was Anthrax in 91 or 92, but that was only because Public Enemy wheeled them on to provide part of the backing track.

Anyone remember these,all from that time or thereabouts:

Tank
Battleaxe
Chrome Molly
Heavy Pettin'
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
Mama's Boys
Raven
Praying Mantis
Satan
Tresspass (put Sudbury on the map........lol)
Tokyo Blade
Angel Witch
And of course Venom.

Best gig for me Slayer - Reign in Blood tour (lol nearly got into a fight with Hurley from Extreme Noise Terror, but thats another story).

Chaz

joel

I'm sorry to disappoint you, I no doubt still have this 7" kicking around somewhere. Mind you, it will not have seen light of for the last 25 years. Iron Pig? Nope, never heard of them. I would need to have a look through my 7" boxes to remind myself of the long forgotten bands, some good, some terrible.

I was unfortunate enough only to have seen Motorhead when Brian Robertson was playing with them, circumstances always conspired against me seeing the original band.

I spent some enjoyable evenings in the Glasgow Apollo in my teens watching a whole host of bands, a number of which fell into the nwobhm category. A few of them would have been; Def Leppard on the AC/DC - If You Want Blood tour, Maiden on the 1980 Priest tour, Girl, Girlschool, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Saxon, Diamond Head, and Tank. There were a couple of US bands alongside this wave; Van Halen - 10th Anniversary Sabbath tour, Riot, Anvil (bunch of retards, kind of goes with the territory at times...).

On the subject of Diamond Head, I believe they have a gig at the Astoria in November.

I recall seeing Maiden at the Edinburgh Playhouse in '86, for old times sake as I didn't really listen to them much at the time. The night was really topped off after an excellent show by seeing Dr. Feelgood playing a blistering set in Preservation Hall. I recall ending up in a pub which never seemed to close (I think we got chucked out at about 4am, not bad for the times), then going for chips before getting the train home.

I think the wave of "thrash metal" bands that came through in the mid-eigthies were interesting at times, many of them being completely shite though. I only went to see Metallica and Slayer, but they fairly blew me away at the time.

Mr.P - You're spot on regarding Tommy Vance's show. It was a huge influence on what vinyl was getting added to the already burgeoning collection. The 70's and 80's wouldn't have been the same without Tommy. Sounds, and eventually Kerrang! were to be poured over in search of album reviews and tour dates.

Not nwobhm, but at Rush's Farewell To Kings gig at the Apollo, I seem to remember something about roadies nailing pink fluffy slippers to the stage at Alex or Geddy's mike stand. Not that I could see them, as I was in row C and was about six feet from the bass bins. The Apollo stage was probably eight feet or more (I was just a kid, so it may have been less...) above the floor. They eventually took a few rows out, as at a later gig, row G had become the front row.

Best rock gig? No idea, but my first was Quo on their Live album tour in '77. Pisstakes about Quo aside (this was before Rockin' All Over The World), this was a mightily impressive first gig for a 15 year-old, the circle and upper circle were bouncing up and down (I thought they must surely collapse sometime), and the Apollo choir were at full tilt. Superb!

Memories, eh? Now where's me air guitar? Oh, Oz has nicked it over on another thread. :rolleyes:

HostilePhantasm said:
Anyone remember these,all from that time or thereabouts:

Tank
Battleaxe
Chrome Molly
Heavy Pettin'
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
Mama's Boys
Raven
Praying Mantis
Satan
Tresspass (put Sudbury on the map........lol)
Tokyo Blade
Angel Witch
And of course Venom.

Best gig for me Slayer - Reign in Blood tour (lol nearly got into a fight with Hurley from Extreme Noise Terror, but thats another story).

Chaz
Hi Chaz

The Slayer gig was awesome!

Dumpy's Rusty Nuts! F**K me, I nearly forgot all about them. A right laugh they were too, always to be seen at biker do's. Must have seen them a couple of times. Still have a double vinyl copy of "Somewhere Over England".

I also have "One Of These Days" 7" by Trespass!

God, I'm getting old. :p

Rod

Hammersmith Odeon?
If my memorys correct wasn't it Malice(Chaingang Women) whom backed Slayer?(seen Slayer so many times, i can't remember who was backing them)
Remember those upsidedown crosses that lit up so bright, talk about nuclear explosions being 30 times brighter than the midday sun. I'm sure i was blinded for a week.
Also got talking two guys(next row behind us) from Norwich, they were so drunk and headbanging like wild dogs fighting, until their heads collided (lol), they were out for what seemed like 20 mins.

Dumpys rusty nuts - Kent bike show and Wivenhoe Tree Fairs, lol those where the days.
I should always remember to look forward when riding pinion, that way at least i can see when were going to crash..OUCH, my knees hit the Tarmac.

Chaz

HostilePhantasm said:
Hammersmith Odeon?
No, Edinburgh Playhouse, Reign in Blood tour though, full-on insanity!

Speaking of Dumpy's, another good biker boogie band was the Hamsters. I first saw them at the Mildenhall Blues and Rock Festival in 1989. I think Rory Gallagher, Uriah Heep, and Engine also played. Pity I can't remember the rest. It was a hot day and I had to keep hydrated by drinking vast quantites of cider and ale. Didn't work obviously, but it was a great weekend!

HostilePhantasm

From your list say Raven supporting Girlschool at Hull Tower and Praying Mantis - Captured City on 12" 45rpm Soundhouse Tapes Part 2 - one of my most played 12" singles

Wasn't there a Metal for Muthas album that contained a lot of tracks by these bands on it, including Sledgehammers wonderful Sledgehammer!! and the the Tygers of Pan Tang

METAL FOR MUTHAS VOL I

metalmuthas1.jpg

1. Iron Maiden: Sanctuary
2. Sledgehammer: Sledgehammer
3. E.F. Band: Fighting For Rock And Roll
4. Toad The Wet Sprocket: Blues In A
5. Praying Mantis: Captured City
6. Ethel The Frog: Fight Back
7. Angel Witch: Baphomet
8. Iron Maiden: Wrathchild
9. Samson: Tomorrow Or Yesterday
10. Nutz: Bootliggers

METAL FOR MUTHAS VOL II

metalformuthasvol2.jpg

1. One of these days - Trespass
2. Telephone man - Eazy Money
3. Cuttin' loose - Xero
4. High upon high - White Spirit
5. Lady of Mars - Dark Star
6. You give me candy - Horsepower
7. Open heart - Red Alert
8. Chevvy - Chevvy
9. Hard lines - Raid
10. Storm child - Trespass

I need to get out more

Chaz

Christ you guys keep mentioning them............

Metal For Muthas Vol II
Stormchild by Trespass : now that's an A grade song.
They deserved better recognition. Trivia fact- They went a bit hair metal in the late 80's/early 90's and released an album as Blue Blud (Don't bother tracking it down)

Raven !!!! anything on Neat records was generally best avoided (apart from the mighty Venom of course)

Tank !!! third rate motorhead copyists with Algy Ward on bass - the first album was ok but forget it after that.

Sledgehammer : another fine tune

Want to hear Good and Bad NWOBHM + more.

http://www.hardrockin80s.com/tune.php

Ummm Blue Blud - The Big Noise......Exactly ( Vinyltap have a copy on lp if your interested).

Tank - Filth Hounds Of Hades, their best IMO

tank4.jpg

Mind you put an "ard" on the end of tank, and you'll have one of the finest German Thrashbands from the mid 80's to this day.

Likewise, Neat Records with the exception of Warfare.

Chaz

advertisement

Back