advertisement

Miles Davis

After reading this thread last week, I saw Sketches of Spain at a record fair today, and bought it.

How do fans think this one ranks in the top 100 Miles Davis albums?

I love sketches of spain. I think it, and the previous collaborations with Gil Evans (Miles Ahead and Porgy and Bess, and I suppose Birth of the Cool, though I wouldn't put that in the same group - not in terms of quality, it's excellent, but rather that it's aiming for something very different musically) are some of the finest work he did. This is partly down to Evan's genius as an orchestrator. I don't think Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez has ever sounded so wonderful.

But have a listen and hear for yourself.

regards, Tam

I've had a listen to Sketches of Spain now and you're right, it is really good.

There's also something special about the sound of old vinyl (1960) that is completely lost on a new and so-called improved remastering on CD.

Sketches of Spain was my introduction to jazz - side B of a tape a friend made circa 1990. It is still one of my favorites.

Bluefish - Glad you enjoyed. Look out for Miles Ahead and particularly Porgy and Bess, if you liked Sketches you'll enjoy those too.

regards, Tam

Always loved 'get up with it', if only for 'rated X'. One of the most evil, menacing and purposeful tracks ever recorded.

I’m generally a fan of the whole fusion period. Miles was the master of line up organization. He managed to pick musicians who really worked as a unit.

Recently saw the episode of ‘Crime Story’ with Miles in!

Martin.

e63553w9hct.jpg

Came upon a nice copy of this yesterday, though it's gotten some bad reviews, I quite like it.

Here's one that's positive.

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/on_second_thought/miles-davis-big-fun.htm

A "bad" Miles album is still better what than 99% of people will achieve in their lifetime! Ok, Big Fun is a compilation of out-takes, unreleased stuff etc, but it's from a particularly creative period in his career so it certainly stands up IMO. The only area of his work I struggle with is the highly polished synth-funk of the 80s, though even that has it's moments now and again. I've really got into We Want Miles of late, so I'm approaching that period now.

I agree, I have about every one of his albums. I see Dark Magus and Pangaea are available on vinyl, thinking I need to get those as well.

I see Dark Magus and Pangaea are available on vinyl, thinking I need to get those as well.

Both wonderful albums IMO, probably as extreme as he got with the dark full-tilt 70s funk grooves, I'd have loved to see that stuff live, just so intense. No idea what's good on vinyl / what the current issues are like though, I'm just going from the 70+ CD Columbia box set, which is one of my favourite things!

I found Sketches of Spain hard to get into, when I was a jazz newbie. I still think it's quite challenging, but very interesting. Perhaps I need to revisit it again.

I always found it easier to get Davis than Coltrane.

I found Sketches of Spain hard to get into, when I was a jazz newbie. I still think it's quite challenging, but very interesting. Perhaps I need to revisit it again.

I always found it easier to get Davis than Coltrane.

SoS must be the most atmospheric record that I own. Miles may well be "conservative" (see an earlier post) in his playing but the feeling that he conveys here and on many other albums is gut wrenching.

Graeme

I cant imagine a better electric jazz album than In a Silent Way. I listen to a lot of fusion and electric jazz and I still keep going back to In a Silent Way and parts of Bitches Brew more often than not...

I agree, I have about every one of his albums. I see Dark Magus and Pangaea are available on vinyl, thinking I need to get those as well.

Ah good call. Dark Magus is ridiculously expensive on Japanese import, but I'll pay 20 clams for an 'audiophile' 180g version. It rocks my socks off.

I passed on a 70s Columbia pressing of Pangea a couple of weeks back, meaning to check as to whether there are significant differences in the editing compared to the recent CD. It probably works best as 2 unbroken tracks anyway. Top album though.

advertisement

Back