advertisement

Needed: helpful DIY suggestions to get my Naim CD3 working again…

For starters you could just replace all the 317/337 regs like for like, they are cheap and easy to get from maplin etc.
Do you have a solder sucker to desolder them they are pretty essential if you want to desolder quickly so as not to lift tracks.
Tip some commercially soldered boards have lead free solder which doesent flow well when de soldering so I add a little leaded solder to each joint first to get it to flow properly then its easier to de solder :)

Alan

Thanks for the (soldering) tip (geddit?)!

This seems like a bargain, or do I need to spend more?

This idea (from Wikipedia) seems like a good un': "Multiple-lead devices require special care in removal. In some instances it is better to destroy the part by cutting off its leads and removing the leads individually, instead of risking damage to the printed circuit board."

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Solder sucker works fine, without track damage once you have practised a bit. Do you have an old PCB somewhere you can test with?

One issue with Naim are the double sided cct boards - so definitely add leaded solder to each joint before trying to desolder it.

Cutting the components is fine, if a bit of a waste. Just make sure power is removed before you cut the legs off. Can still be a pain to get each individual pin out of a double sided PCB though...I prefer desoldering.

Richard

Richard

Solder sucker works fine, without track damage once you have practised a bit. Do you have an old PCB somewhere you can test with?

This is so true. Get some old pcb, broken or not it doesnt matter and practice removing components by desoldering.. You need to get the temperature just right, not to hot and not to cold. Sometimes adding solder can help before sucking. If a part is being a pain leave it and move on.Come back to it later.. Heat for too long is a bad thing.

If something has 2 or 3 legs you can usually remove it ok.. Any more than that I prefer to snip its legs off.. But I am not an expert, just a bodger.

Sam

Thanks for the helpful hints, I'll see if I can find a piece of gash PCB to practice on. There's going to be a bit of a hiatus while I wait for the delivery of the solder sucker and replacement 317 regs.

Watch this space...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for the helpful hints, I'll see if I can find a piece of gash PCB to practice on. There's going to be a bit of a hiatus while I wait for the delivery of the solder sucker and replacement 317 regs.

Watch this space...

While you are waiting, cut off the regulators so some of the pin is still there and measure the voltages, sounds like a collapse of one the the analogue supply rails, could be a rectifier failure or dry joint on the transformer, if its not the regulators. Should get some useful information to the panel if you can measure the input voltages to the regulators. Don't forget to unplug first!

advertisement

Back