advertisement

I'm about to have my evening shave (part II)

Superb. I bet the lip on the last one works well for grip/drip prevention.

actually, if i go light on the tung oil/varnish/finish, the handle stays grippy no matter what.

btw--now that i have your attention, can you please advise on a cost-effective way to sand the bamboo with an electric device? that is the most tedious and painful part of the process here. bamboo is very hard stuff.

vuk.

I take it this means the highly trained pandas VKO Labs were experimenting with didn;t work out?

Hmmm, maybe these would help if you were going into full scale production:

426407_lg.jpg

and

123586_lg.jpg

after adopting DE last february, I find myself missing a decent shave whilst on holiday. my travel kit consists of KOS kinexium shave oil, and a mach 3 handle and blades. compact and lightweight. I lack the dedication to have a travel razor and brush.

at least from the grooming point of view, I am looking forward to returning home.

vuk, the brushes are looking good. you might consider a decent bosch belt sander to go in your work bench, one can invert the sander, clamp it in the bench as it has nice square sides. a variety of belts are available. HTH.

oh, on a related note, I have observed that the old trusty palmolive shave stick is readily available on supermarket shelves in NSW of the suncuntburntree.

oh, on a related note, I have observed that the old trusty palmolive shave stick is readily available on supermarket shelves in NSW of the suncuntburntree.

Hi Rico

I am now seriously considering suicide.

A one off programme was shown last night called "Endeavour" which was about the Oxford detective Morse set back in the sixties when he was a young man and had just joined the police.

The attention to detail is brilliant and there it was on his washbasin, a DE razor and a green Palmolive shaving stick.

If I am noticing things like this, I need to get out more.

Regards

Mick

Nice work vuk. Yes, unbelieveable just how hard the surface of bamboo is, until you first try to abrade it. I know this because as a teenager, a neighbouring friend's parents had - of all things - a stair banister made of bamboo, and paid us as to sand and prep the thing for painting. They did not pay us anywhere near enough.

Just treated myself to a Merkur slant, I will let you know how I get on.

I have been experimenting with both a Merkur Slant and a Merkur Futur over the last couple of weeks as my intro to DE shaving. Contrary to the received wisdom, I found the Slant much more benign than the Futur.

There is no doubt handling the head of a DE Razor so as not to rip the face off yourself is an acquired skill. The learning curve to get to an acceptable level of non-mutilation on my part was about 10-15 shaves). I'm still having problems with the Futur, which I think is due to difficulties positioning the larger razor head accurately to access the reentrant curves around one's nose and chin. I still slice myself at least once every other shave with it. When I reach for the Futur, I can almost hear Clint Eastwood whispering "Well this here's the Merkur Futur, the most aggressive DE Safety Razor in the world today..you gotta ask yourself one question ..etc ":()

The Slant on the other hand, is a pleasure to use at this stage.

I was taken to see it by a student nurse I was "dating" at the time. I think it's possibly the worst film I have ever seen.

You watched it as a FILM? The rest of us just looked at that pic and went "oooooh. Oh God..."

Then again I was about 14 at the time and young women like that actress (was she called Irene Cara, or was that the singer?) had a profound effect on me, even before they showed their legs off.

Oh God...:p

Hi Rico

I am now seriously considering suicide.

A one off programme was shown last night called "Endeavour" which was about the Oxford detective Morse set back in the sixties when he was a young man and had just joined the police.

The attention to detail is brilliant and there it was on his washbasin, a DE razor and a green Palmolive shaving stick.

If I am noticing things like this, I need to get out more.

Regards

Mick

I hope they matched that level of detail and the young morse had a Garrard 401 and Tannoys (which of course he'd biffed for the Roksan in the 80's)...

just blame it on high-def television and the 50 inch TV you're watching on. I trust you are enjoying it in Spain at this time of the year, Mick!

best regards

Rico

A locally made product, without tallow and no match for the European made stick which is available online for about AU$10 per stick.

advertisement

Back