advertisement

MDAC first listen (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if John had a rough timeline for the first firmware update yet? I am particularly keen to get the enhancement for screen dimming/off capability. :)

I'd expect his set-up to be more dynamic than mine

But I didn't think it was undynamic as such, I just thought it had a soft presentation, as if the leading edges had all been smoothed off. Perhaps I'm just used to hearing them artificially sharpened ;).

Has anyone had issues connecting the MDAC to their TV via Optical/Toslink? On my MDAC, the sound cuts out every 4/5 seconds. My main input to the MDAC for Audio and Movies is my AppleTV via optical and it works perfectly. I then have my Apple MacBook Pro connected to a Samsung D7000 TV via HDMI and linked via the TV's optical out to the MDAC. This issue with intermittent sound occurs with both the audio output of the TV itself as well as with all audio sourced from my Laptop via the TV. If I connect my Laptop directly to the MDAC, it works fine. If I connect my old Cambridge Audio Dac Magic to my Samsung TV it also works fine so it would seem to be an issue relating to the MDAC being sensitive to the digital output of my TV. One thing I did notice on the MDAC is that there is constant variation on the frequency reading for the input from the TV i.e. from say 43.999KHZ to 44.000KHZ and back again. Another user on this forum suggested that they had similar issues when connecting their MDAC to a Sky Digital Set Top Box via optical. I think they resolved this issue by switching D3E from Full to Partial. I haven't had a chance to test this as am away from home but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue.

...it would seem to be an issue relating to the MDAC being sensitive to the digital output of my TV. One thing I did notice on the MDAC is that there is constant variation on the frequency reading for the input from the TV i.e. from say 43.999KHZ to 44.000KHZ and back again
Others have had similar issues when connecting to some broadcast receiving devices. It's caused by rapid 'shifts' in output sampling rate which cannot be tracked by the MDAC. JW has said he will look into the possibility of a software fix.

I would be interested to hear how it stacks up as a headphone amp against some of the popular contenders such as:
Rega
Naim
Graham Slee

...In the J River player, I changed the 'Hardware buffer size' in Output Mode, WASAPI settings to '10 milliseconds' from '100 milliseconds'. It's bloody awesome!!!!

In Foobar, the lowest buffer length is quite a bit larger at 50 milliseconds. Goes some way to explaining why WASAPI stilll doesn't sound good for me in Foobar...

Anyone know the reason though? On the USB buffer it was always hovering around the 50% mark... it's just that now it's fixed perfectly (doesn't move) at the 50% mark...

The various buffer settings in JRiver & Foobar don't work in the the same way. Foobar's buffer control is more akin to JRiver's "prebuffering". JR's "hardware buffer size" (within the "output mode settings" dialogue) is different and usually needs to be set on the low side when a USB interface is in use. Try increasing the hardware buffer above 100mS and describe what happens. If 250mS is dodgy (or doesn't work at all) it may well be that 100mS is on the margin of stability and you have done the right thing in reducing it.

Also, please don't become obsessive about a desire to keep the USB gauge static at the 50% point. I'm sure that there really isn't a connection between sound quality and the stability of that meter, as long as the meter doesn't hit the buffers - even then I'd expect muting, not a sound quality issue. Perhaps JW will confirm.
But I am a bit concerned by your earlier comment about passing the MDAC bit-perfect test but still sounding different - this is something about which JW will need to comment because I find this very surprising indeed. Please be very sure of your findings because a reproducible change in sound despite passing the bit-perfect test would, I'm sure, be something in which many folks would take a great deal of interest.

I would be interested to hear how it stacks up as a headphone amp against some of the popular contenders such as:
Rega
Naim
Graham Slee

Hi Pete,

It probably beats all of the above. I have compared it with a Naim Headline and Woo Audio 3 and it beats the Naim and matches the Woo. The Woo easily beat and replaced my previous headphone amps, including a Graham Slee Novo.

FWIW, my listening is on Sennheiser HD650's and Beyer DT880's (600 Ohm version).

The MDAC has a really really good headphone amp - buy with confidence.

Has anyone had issues connecting the MDAC to their TV via Optical/Toslink? On my MDAC, the sound cuts out every 4/5 seconds. If I connect my Laptop directly to the MDAC, it works fine. If I connect my old Cambridge Audio Dac Magic to my Samsung TV it also works fine so it would seem to be an issue relating to the MDAC being sensitive to the digital output of my TV. One thing I did notice on the MDAC is that there is constant variation on the frequency reading for the input from the TV i.e. from say 43.999KHZ to 44.000KHZ and back again. Another user on this forum suggested that they had similar issues when connecting their MDAC to a Sky Digital Set Top Box via optical. I think they resolved this issue by switching D3E from Full to Partial. I haven't had a chance to test this as am away from home but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue.

I have the same problem with a (new) Samsung BD-D8200 HD PVR/BRay BD-D8200 player via opt (either inputs).

Playing BR discs, CD's or any sound via the internet -all OK.
Problem seems to be related to frequency drift on the freeview audio output only.

Changed D3E settings on MDAC - no difference.

Reconnected my CDQ and tested - still same dropouts showing 'no lock' due to fluctuating frequency from Samsung (16 bit/47.999 - 48.001KHz) as Digital Input DPLL on Auto.
Altered to High bandwidth and now sound is stable without dropouts.

I'm sure that John/Dominik will come up with an answer and the updated software.

Dave.

That was levelled at you Orang, rather those claiming to be able to hear differences in bit identical software playback played on the same source into the same dac, despite it's three layers of jitter attenuation.

Different software can make music sound different. Try jplay for the pc or amarra on a mac and you might just be surprised.

Anybody in London interested in comparing the MDAC to a Mytek Stereo96, a similarly priced DAC but with a very different design ?

That was levelled at you Orang, rather those claiming to be able to hear differences in bit identical software playback played on the same source into the same dac, despite it's three layers of jitter attenuation.

Ahh - makes more sense! With you on that one. MDAC Bit Perfect test is the perfect proof.

It probably beats all of the above. I have compared it with a Naim Headline and Woo Audio 3 and it beats the Naim and matches the Woo. The Woo easily beat and replaced my previous headphone amps, including a Graham Slee Novo.

FWIW, my listening is on Sennheiser HD650's and Beyer DT880's (600 Ohm version).

The MDAC has a really really good headphone amp - buy with confidence.
This is really good to know, as I'm planning to replace my Novo with an MDAC in the new year (or sooner depending on the dealer getting one in).

And, you know the best thing? I told my trouble'n'strife about my plan to get one, and she didn't freak....

I am most surprised but very pleased.

So, all I need to do now is to determine whether the MDAC will work properly with an 'extended' USB cable (i.e. two joined together by a booster-type thing) so that I can locate it where I want it and use it with the Mac. Which would then enable me to sell on the Squeezebox Classic as well...

Hi JTC - How long are you expecting this cable to be?
Happy to try a few USB extenders at home to see how mine copes.
Also, have you considered a long optical cable instead if extended USB wasn't feasible?

More than 5m but less than 10m. Would prefer not to use optical if at all possible. If you've got a USB extender or two, I'd be very interested to hear how it works... this being the only thing that can stand in the way of my getting an MDAC...

can anyone recommend a attenuators to me (for rca)?
I know someone have some advice earlier, but i cant find the related post...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back