advertisement

Joy Division : Closer - COnfuSIon !!!

Gerard124

pfm Member
I is confused by the copy of Joy Divisions Closer in my collection.

The back cover has the tracks listed in lower case script below the words JOY DIVISION - what have I got here? I didnt think the back cover had the tracks printed on it?

FACT.XXXV

Sleeve is thick rough card and inner the same (inner states Printed By Garrad and Lofthouse Limited)

On labels - FACT.25
Black labels with silver text

Strangely the labels on the records are identical on side A and B and you don't know what side your playing without looking at the matrix info.

SIDE A On run out - OLD BLUE? LYN 9438 FACT 25 A-1 (hand edged)

SIDE B On run out - LYN 9438 FACT 25 B-1 (hand edged)

When I googled LYN 9438 an old Pink Fish thread appeared which mentioned 'LYN 9438' but having speed read it I don't think it came up with the answer

Is this the Vinyl , if so, yes the original cover does not have the track listing. Did you buy this at the time of release??? if yes , then you might have a "factory special".

This copy is a bit of a mystery to me - I gave my record collection to my brother for a short time - when the collection was returned the Closer was this copy 'in place' of my copy.

Just to clarify we are talking about vinyl copy and it has the track listing on back cover in lower case script - the run out section of the record is probably the shortest I have ever seen on a record (maybe less than 1cm on side A and not much more on the other side)

The script on the back cover looks totally out of place with the clean lines of the other text on the sleeve (its also slightly misprinted as the text is slightly out of level) it doesnt look good.

I Just tried to identify my Unknown pleasures and I can't identify that on Discogs either!

My Unknown Pleasures appears to be the same as This one but in a textured Garrrad and Lofthouse sleeve, the inner has square corners.

Maybe they had some original sleeves left over they used up for initial copies of this repress?

I is confused by the copy of Joy Divisions Closer in my collection.

The back cover has the tracks listed in lower case script below the words JOY DIVISION - what have I got here? I didnt think the back cover had the tracks printed on it?

FACT.XXXV

Sleeve is thick rough card and inner the same (inner states Printed By Garrad and Lofthouse Limited)

On labels - FACT.25
Black labels with silver text

Strangely the labels on the records are identical on side A and B and you don't know what side your playing without looking at the matrix info.

SIDE A On run out - OLD BLUE? LYN 9438 FACT 25 A-1 (hand edged)

SIDE B On run out - LYN 9438 FACT 25 B-1 (hand edged)

Not quite sure what you have there as the back cover makes no sense.

My copy is heavy rough matt card-stock both cover and inner. The inner is square cut with a Garrard & Lofthouse credit, the matrix is the same as yours but without the LYN9438 on either side. The label has no track credits, though it's easy to tell the sides as side two only has four tracks, at least that's what I've done for the last 31 years! I'm actually on my second copy as I found an absolute minter a few years back, whereas my original copy had a rather tired sleeve. The matrix was the same with both (I remember checking), and I think both had a square-cut inner. I've never seen a copy with the tracks on the back cover.

Is yours a dark red one? Try holding it up to a bright light - many are, though not mine (my Unknown Pleasures is). This is an indication it was pressed by Pye as most Pye-pressed albums were on this mix of vinyl.

DSC_0589-1.jpg

B.A.S.E. Record pressing from Italy, perhaps? I have seen that before.

Over here, my original vinyl was a FACTUS catalog number, not tremendously bad as pressings go....

I'm prepared to bet Peter Saville had absolutely nothing to do with that back cover - the track listing font and spacing is so, so wrong! I wonder if it might even be a fake / pirate? There are a lot of them around at present, but I've not studied them in depth so don't know what to look for. That one ain't right though, I know that much!

I'm prepared to bet Peter Saville had absolutely nothing to do with that back cover - the track listing font and spacing is so, so wrong

Its also completely pissed - not even square on the sleeve.

Whats weird is apart from the track listing it all looks kosher - I'll try and post some more pics

This copy is a bit of a mystery to me - I gave my record collection to my brother for a short time - when the collection was returned the Closer was this copy 'in place' of my copy.

This rogue copy has been in my rack for over 6 years I'd say.

If the suspect text is not square to the sleeve but the rest of the artwork is then maybe it was added somehow at a later date?

That had occurred to me too! how would one tell - scratch it?

You can usually tell by looking at the print at an oblique angle in fairly bright light as black inks often have different reflectivity, shine or even colour - it's a useful technique when looking at signed stuff, e.g. if you are not sure with an unfamiliar record if the sig is real or just part of the cover design. Plus if it was say Letroset there would be evidence of rubbing / pressure. My suspicion is a it's a foreign market issue, and the Garrard & Lofthouse on the inner may imply it's either a fake, or an original that has been cut 'n' shut into a foreign market / fake outer sleeve - records can easily get mixed up in shops that separate the vinyl from the covers in the racks, it is very common to see pressings that do not really belong in their sleeve. The other factor is the LYN 9438 part of the matrix, which to my mind does not belong, it is certainly not present on my copy.

advertisement

Back