advertisement

Best way to incorporate a Rega DAC to iMac and amplifier

iSilver

Hi

I have got a mid-2007 iMac with a optical digital audio out port connected by a QED Performance Audio J2P (a 3.5mm stereo jack to two channel phono cable) to a Cambridge Audio 650A integrated amplifier. I'm pretty happy with the sound I get from the system but want more! I have just ordered a Rega DAC and would like some advice on which input and cabling I should use to get the best from this system.

I've read quite a bit of info that says USB provides the least quality, then I read a bit more info saying that USB is the best as technology has progressed! I checked the Rega website for some info so I could get the details straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, but the product info didn't get into this type of stuff.

iMac to DAC: The Rega DAC has USB, Optical/Toslink and Co-Ax Digital Inputs - which input and cable type is technically the best to use to take the signal from the iMac, considering it has a 3.5mm optical digital audio out port.

In terms of "best", I mean capable of transmitting the widest range of features the DAC offers, not best "sounding" as that's subjective. But I'd like to hear opinions on "best sounding" too, cause after all that;s the most important thing!

Is the iMac capable of playing/decoding/playing the entire 16-20-24-bit at 32kHz to 192kHz, or is there some imitation in the hardware?

Thanks for your opinions gentlemen.

I believe the Rega is limited to 48khz from it's USB connection, and the Mac limited to 24/96 from optical,
Keith.

Yes, true–optical is limited to 44.1 / 48 / 96 kHz (though the G5 iMac can handle all sample rates including 176.4 kHz).

I'd recommend something along the lines of the Hiface (Evo) or the Audiophileo range of products, as regards a USB-SPDIF interface.

I picked up a V-Link for £70 and its pretty good. I think they are on reduced price at the moment - possibly a new one coming out so you may want to hold fire.

Original V-Link is limited to 24/96

The optical out of the iMac is perfectly acceptable and if you use the Chord Opticable it sounds pretty darn good. Not sure if I would be jumping into other interfaces yet as it seems like things are still in such a state of flux as far as computer hifi.

Your amp may be the next in line to take a look at instead of a better interface for your computer.

PS. 24/96 is what you will find the most of a far as high definition files at this time so I'm not sure I would be all that concerned with 24/192 right now.

I found the optical out to be excellent on the macbook pro with this Silflex cable: http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

The only downside is having to pay about £20 in duty when it arrives from the US to the UK.

I found it to be the most neutral souding of various options (direct USB and 1st gen V-Link), with plenty of PRAT.

Also, I found using Audirvana or Fidelia makes a massive difference (particularly Fidelia - I kow it's not the purist approach, but upsampling ALAC 44.1k/16 bit files to 96k and dithering to 24 bit sounds excellent. Fidelia uses some pretty good technology to get it right).

Take the mac optical into the Toslink optical connector on the Rega.
This will give you up to 24/96.
<£10 will get you an optical 3.5mm > Toslink cable.

Best avoid USB unless of the asynchronous variety.

I received my DAC yesterday and connected it to the iMac via the USB input (using an unused cable from a HP printer) just to get it running and was pretty impressed with the result. Even though USB isn't the best connection method it sounds quite brilliant and detailed. Really happy with this DAC. I've got a Chord Optichord Toslink digital audio cable on the way and can't wait to hear the setup when it's all connected. I found a comprehensive and detailed review of the DAC at Digital Audio Review.

Thanks to the thread contributors for some valuable comments.

Take the mac optical into the Toslink optical connector on the Rega.
This will give you up to 24/96.
<£10 will get you an optical 3.5mm > Toslink cable.

Best avoid USB unless of the asynchronous variety.
I object to posts like these on this forum. You need to waste money on USB devices which reclock rather on S/PDIF, which is miles better than standard USB.

I accuse you of not being a believer:mad:

advertisement

Back