advertisement

Apple TV 1

I do need to hack it though, since I'm going to use it for video. Is there a consensus on the easiest way of doing this, or the best software to break free of iTunes use.

I hacked my ATV2 and its great. Picked up a refurb unit with a year's warranty for £69. Cannot be arsed with all this hard drive nonsense and Broadcom Crystal 720p upgrades in the ATV1. ATV2 is cheaper, smaller, lighter, uses less power, faster to boot, nicer remote, does 720p judder-free and runs XBMC like a wet dream done right. PLus you have access to the full iTunes movie catalogue. Ok, so no storage and no analog out but if you're going to be using a NAS and adding a DAC anyway, you won't need it. Soundwise is as good as your DAC, acts as an AirTunes device and streams content from an iPhone/iPad/Mac as well. Hell, what's not to like?

As i explained sams image is the esiest way, you just need to borrow a pc or bootcamp to make the stick. Then you plug it into an atv and run xbmc from the stick

Actually I've just found that Vuze has a function that allows you to convert video for use with iTunes, so I'm trying that first.

ATV Flash was my first thought, but you have to pay, and garyi's options seems to be a free way of doing it.

If you really want too open the ATV1 up, you can actually install a full Apple OS on it. There's a few websites that can show you how to.

One of the earlier posts mentioned tht the ATV 2 plays nice smooth judder free 720p. Could anyone comment on the mark 1 atv compared to say a early mac mini, which is not entirely judder free when connected using it's dvi.

Things have not progressed very far with my Apple TV. It looks like its just going to be an Airport Express substitute, but that's not even working properly now. It seems to want to put the audio though my TV speakers via the HDMI, rather than into my DAC through the optical. I got sound coming through my speakers briefly but now, using Airplay to control, its only interested in the TV speakers. No doubt something very basic I've missed.

It'll feed through the hdmi at the same time as the optical. you'll have to turn your tv to silent... I use a remote on an ipod touch/iphone so don't need the tv on for a screen...

Yes I've turned the TV off and I'm using Airfoil to control the ATV, just as I always have done with AE previously. I know this must be something blindingly obvious, but it eludes me.

Why are you using Airfoil? why not just sync the ATV's HDD with your iTunes Library and play from its internal HDD?

Do you have an iPod Touch or iPhone? if so use the 'Remote' ap.

I use Airfoil so that I can stream Spotify. And so that I can use my laptop as a control device if I want to use iTunes.

Its crucial that I don't have to use the TV for control, but I haven't yet managed to get my iPhone to work using the 'Remote' App

You don't need airfoil to play from iTunes, iTunes can stream direct to the ATV just like an Airport Express.

I do understand using it for Spotify though...

advertisement

Back