advertisement

Apple TV 1

Elephantears

Trunkated Aesthete
I just got one from ebay to try using for both music and video. I was thinking of getting ATV Flash to enable storage of multiple audio and video formats. Is that a good start?

Regarding connection to a DAC, is optical the best or only option here?

And I know there have been a hundred threads covering such issues, but could someone remind me what are the best ways of ameding iTunes for proper hi-fi usage? Or an alternative to iTunes that works with a hacked ATV?

Firstly, ATV flash costs money, its totally free:

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

Firecore took the open source and sold it.

Secondly, the ATV can have a crystal HD card installed in place of the wireless card, which gives you true 1080p for video play back.

Finally and this is by far the best option, purchase a 8 gig USB stick and install sams ubuntu image onto it (You need windows to do this) and simply plug it into the USB port of the ATV and boot up. It is SO MUCH quicker than XBMC under OSX as to not even be funny, again this is totally free and you do not need to carry out the steps above:

http://www.stmlabs.com/projects/crystalhd-for-appletv/

The benefit here is if in the end you want to sell on the Harddrive of the ATV will be untouched. The downside is you need to be getting all your media from the network not the ATV.

For my money sams image is really rather special for the cost of an 8 gig stick. XBMC can be configured left right and centre and is my prefered method for media distribution in my house.

Gary, thanks for that. I use OSX not Windows, so unfortunately ubuntu image is out. High quality video playback isn't so important to me; I'm not fussy with video in the way I am with audio. But I want it to replace using DVD's. Currently I am downloading video, then burning it to DVD to play. Very clumsy.

I was thinking that if I end up liking the ATV I would get a 1TB harddrive installed.

I'll look into XMBC. Cheers.

For audio, are people using USB or optical?

Gary, thanks for that. I use OSX not Windows, so unfortunately ubuntu image is out. High quality video playback isn't so important to me; I'm not fussy with video in the way I am with audio. But I want it to replace using DVD's. Currently I am downloading video, then burning it to DVD to play. Very clumsy.

I was thinking that if I end up liking the ATV I would get a 1TB harddrive installed.

I'll look into XMBC. Cheers.

For audio, are people using USB or optical?
Our Apple TV is connected using the analogue outputs. I'm thinking of trying a DAC but with levels equalised, I can't tell the ATV playing Lossless from the Arcam DV79 playing the CD so I don't know if there'll be any noticeable improvement. This is into Kairn > Klout > Isobariks.

The USB is for diagnostics only.

That would be too easy, if the analogue outputs were as good as a decent cdp. Of course I'll give it a try. I have tried Airport Express without an external DAC and its not too posh, to put it mildly.

have just bought a second hand atv 1 with flash and in trying to get it to see my offboard usb hd it wiped the lot, that was followed by missing menu options and eventually no menu at all...not impressed so far, my mac mini is staying and sounds a fair bit better and transparent via usb than the atv through optical.

That would be too easy, if the analogue outputs were as good as a decent cdp. Of course I'll give it a try. I have tried Airport Express without an external DAC and its not too posh, to put it mildly.
It costs nothing to try it. Of course, any comparison needs to be with levels equalised.

Analogue out on ATV1 is very similar to radio Paradise, f**king dull. Everything sounds the same, just like radio paradise.

If you are into that particular station you will enjoy analogue out on ATV1.

Well it works Nik, if by that definition its not poor then fair enough.

For audiophile pretentions, its a mile off.

Best we don't wander into a row about the analogue outputs.

Scoobs, you've put me off before I've picked it up. Oh dear.

Best way to use the ATV1 is in standard format with the standard OS. but with a large replacement HDD. I've been using mine like this for nearly 2 years now. In this format you only get to output digital audio via optical.

I've tried Atv-flash and its far to fussy and feels clunky in comparison. Also there's very little that needs setting in terms setup and outputs its very easy to use and in standard format is virtually plug'n'play.

One must that I've found is a decent glass optical. I tried a cheap plastic cable and it sounded muddled and dull in comparison.

I'd not recommend fitting a drive larger than 640gb as the drive bay isn't really large enough without modification of the casework and this also effects the way heat is discharged.

Can't think of owt else just yet..... :)

Spacey, that is not the best way to use an ATV at all, I am guessing its the only way you have used it long term.

In stock configuration ATV is seriously restricted in the types of files it plays and where it finds them.

Best we don't wander into a row about the analogue outputs.

Scoobs, you've put me off before I've picked it up. Oh dear.
Try it as it is before messing about with it. If it's no good to you, you can sell it with little/zero loss.

Spacey, that is not the best way to use an ATV at all, I am guessing its the only way you have used it long term.

In stock configuration ATV is seriously restricted in the types of files it plays and where it finds them.

Gary, I'm not interested in other file formats or locations as I only use it for audio, from its internal HDD, which is synced to my ALAC library in iTunes and plays faultlessly. Its never skipped a beat and is rock solid in terms of output and zero faff.

advertisement

Back