advertisement

Naim olive fascia change

PTWild

pfm Member
I've got a '94 NAC82, '92 250 and a 2000 Supercap.

The supercap has a slightly darker olive fascia and brighter logo. I used to have a late olive Hicap which had a darker fascia / brighter logo too.

Does anyone know at what date / serial number the olive fascia's changed?

I'm not talking about the chrome bumber switchover here BTW.

I'd like to get a NAC52 and just wondered when the switchover was.

Cheers,
Paul

The fascia change was gradual–but, more importantly, you'll want to find a NAC 52 with the latest microprocessor-based front panel (about #144xxx and higher). These should easily match an '00 SuperCap.

The fascias changed colour over time. Reason was the supplier who matched a new batch to a sample from the old. There's a story about this out there, if you do a search. AFAIK Naim used to do a fascia matching service but not sure if they still do it.

Try to find as late a NAC52 as possible. Only go for a very early one if the price is right and you don't mind proprietary RC. Early units aren't worthwhile updating due to the cost. NAC52s are a minefield. There are a number of poor examples doing the second-hand rounds so make sure you listen first, preferably against a known good 'un. A good NAC52 is wonderful. A poor one is a bit ho-hum - i.e. not much better than a NAC72, in some ways worse due to being more revealing. A tip: The Burndy is a critical component in the '52. Make sure the strain relief on the Burndy connector isn't done up too tight as it otherwise makes the '52 sound sat on and a bit edgy. A new Burndy can be a good upgrade for not too much money, but same thing applies re. tightness and it needs to burn in a bit before making snap judgements.

That's really useful stuff guys, many thanks. It gives me something to bear in mind.

Darren did the Pots 8 upgrade on my 82 whilst it was being serviced last year and it made a really good improvement although I can't say which brought the greater improvement as it was done at the same time. Certainly, I'd have the same done again to any unserviced 52 I buy. However my aim is to get a later one if I can.

Cheers,
Paul

The fascia colour shade differences are only really apparent when you shine a strong light on them and look for them. Not something to worry about otherwise.

PE,

if you take one from the first batches, say 1989, and compare to the last batches around 2001, then there's a marked difference. Originally it was very olive green in colour (sort of browny green), and the final ones were almost a grey-green.

Many fascias have been swapped about since then, so you'll find early kit with later fascias and sometimes the other way round, if that's what was needed for the best match.

advertisement

Back