advertisement

Interesting artists/groups which are 'new to you'

georgeeasten

pfm Member
I always like to find interesting new (new to me) artists/groups but have been at a loss recently.

My only discovery is Keren Ann who is originally from Paris and I believe she now lives in New York. There is a very interesting progression of her work and I have been listening to her latest album alot recently (Spotify Link).

So my question is this: Who have you discovered recently? Not necessarily new to the world but new to you and unlikely to have been heard by the majority (no Beatles or Rolling Stones here please!).

Please share :)

Sarahbeth Tucek - via the call for people to support small labels who lost stock in the fire at the Sony warehouse.

Very well done songs; really deeply felt, clever lyrics. Inspired by the death of her father, the songs are about grief and/or depression, with an uplifting outcome. There is a definite narrative flow to the album as a whole, shades of the much despised 'concept' album. The album is well recorded too.

She is touring the UK just now; I can't make any of the dates (away in Scotland when she plays nearest me), but expect she would be excellent live.

George Crumb.

After hearing Songs, Drones, and Refrains of Death for the first time at the weekend I've ordered it up along with the Cello solo sonata, Black Angel and Makrokosmos. Sad to say never heard of before until now.

Arp.
A friend recommended I listen to their The Soft Wave album, and I think it's a beauty - analog synths played in homage, but not slavishly copying, krautrock somewhere between the more pastoral end of Cluster/Harmonia and the burbling sequencers of Rubycon era Tangerine Dream.
I'm waiting for his debut album, In Light, to turn up; but listening to samples online, I don't think I'm going to be disappointed.
I've also bought two albums by another group he plays in, The Alps, which are in a similar vein, but more organic sounding; sounded maybe closer to Popul Vuh.
If this has piqued your interst, check out the samples on his website - http://studioalexisgeorgopoulos.com/#1295644/DISCOGRAPHY

I would like a ban on discussing any pop music more than 10 years old on PFM. Too many on here are re-living their dull teenage wastelands. Johnny Peel never did nostalgia and we need more of his spirit on here.

A few (new to me) performers I have come across in the last few weeks:

Fionn Regan
War on Drugs*
Gabe Dixon
Tom Baxter*
Jehro*
Sam Brooke

Along with the Bombay Bicycle Club, The Horrors and The Charades. Tip for the top: Various Cruelties from Leeds.

Recently discovered Midlake's The Courage Of Others album and for me they were the band of the weekend at End Of The Road Festival. Some fine examples of beard-wearing on stage too.

If this has piqued your interst, check out the samples on his website - http://studioalexisgeorgopoulos.com/#1295644/DISCOGRAPHY

Really want to give this some volume but being 22:58 im not sure the neigbours would apreciate it!

I have a feeling I might be spending more money on music now - what was I thinking posting this!

p.s. I have just done a search on Spotify and 'In Light' was his debut album in 2007! - also two more albums on there (2010 and 2011) on there if you have it - the remixes of Pastoral Symphony are good though.

Recently discovered Midlake's The Courage Of Others album and for me they were the band of the weekend at End Of The Road Festival. Some fine examples of beard-wearing on stage too.

I have been a fan of Midlake for a number years, 'The trials of Van Occupanther' being my personal fave. You should also check out Espers and The Low Anthem.

I have been a fan of Midlake for a number years, 'The trials of Van Occupanther' being my personal fave. You should also check out Espers and The Low Anthem.

Thanks AP, I ordered the Van Occupanther album; and Low Anthem were another recent discovery at Glastonbury - have a couple of theirs on order too.

I see there are some Espers albums on Spotify, ta for the tip I will go and have a listen.

Really want to give this some volume but being 22:58 im not sure the neigbours would apreciate it!

I have a feeling I might be spending more money on music now - what was I thinking posting this!

p.s. I have just done a search on Spotify and 'In Light' was his debut album in 2007! - also two more albums on there (2010 and 2011) on there if you have it - the remixes of Pastoral Symphony are good though.

Sorry it's the end of a very long day - I misread your post!

I'm off to bed.

I would like a ban on discussing any pop music more than 10 years old on PFM. Too many on here are re-living their dull teenage wastelands. Johnny Peel never did nostalgia and we need more of his spirit on here.

But then Peel also promoted Dubstep rather ardently, which makes me take any attempts to hold him up as an arbiter of taste with a grain of salt.

Stuart Moxham (YMG, Gist etc) has a new 6 track album out called Six Winter Mornings which is excellent. Fits the criteria here as his solo stuff is new to me and this one has just been released. Available on Spotify.

But then Peel also promoted Dubstep rather ardently, which makes me take any attempts to hold him up as an arbiter of taste with a grain of salt.

In the case of John Peel, I am reminded of Evelyn Waugh's criticism of John Betjeman's 'insane enthusiasm for almost every type of architecture'.

Stuart Moxham (YMG, Gist etc) has a new 6 track album out called Six Winter Mornings which is excellent. Fits the criteria here as his solo stuff is new to me and this one has just been released. Available on Spotify.

Yes it is good Ricky as was his last one 'Personal Best'...nice packaging too.

A few (new to me) performers I have come across in the last few weeks:

Fionn Regan
War on Drugs*
Gabe Dixon
Tom Baxter*
Jehro*
Sam Brooke

Along with the Bombay Bicycle Club, The Horrors and The Charades. Tip for the top: Various Cruelties from Leeds.

You can't help but like the older stuff, simply because it is better. :cool:

You can see most of these newer acts on NME TV, they sound ok, but many try to look very serious or appear to unintentionally become a parody classic bands, I must admit I get bored of it after a week - guess this is one reason my most new bands are forgotten very quickly.

Some good acts I've seen in the US in the past year:

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists
Heartless Bastards
Vetiver
Delta Spirit

You know nothing about the impact of the man and the high regard he is held in by so many people.

You can't help but like the older stuff, simply because it is better. :cool:

You can see most of these newer acts on NME TV, they sound ok, but many try to look very serious or appear to unintentionally become a parody classic bands, I must admit I get bored of it after a week - guess this is one reason my most new bands are forgotten very quickly.

That's probably what your Dad said about 40 years ago. Me, "I've had a belly full of Jethro Tull", the new stuff is always more interesting.

That's probably what your Dad said about 40 years ago. Me, "I've had a belly full of Jethro Tull", the new stuff is always more interesting.

Hmmmm I dunno man ....

99% new stuff to me is like what you see in the high street mens gadget stores - stuff that grabs your attention and amuses in a novelty sort of way and you get bored after 3 minutes.

Ok, there are over played pot-belly stuff like Smoke on the water from the old days, but for every one of those there are 20 or so Your sex is on fire.

advertisement

Back