advertisement

Australian Plugs

Guy_D

pfm Member
Hi All

Just relocated to Oz! Hifi now making it's way through customs and starting to get rather excited.

I need to change the plug on my Graham's hydra for the Oz sort.

Does anyone know what brand of plug Naim uses for the Australian market or what the best brand of plug to use would be?

Thanks

Guy

I asked my local Naim dealer what kind of multi-plug to use, and he told me to go to a good electrical supply shop, not a supermarket or shopping mall, and ask for the best quality multi-plug they have. I bought a 4-place multiplug for about 14 Euro.
So I would think the best quality plug you can find in a "serious" electrical shop would be fine acoustically (????) and easiest to connect up to your Hydra cable.

I asked my local Naim dealer what kind of multi-plug to use, and he told me to go to a good electrical supply shop, not a supermarket or shopping mall, and ask for the best quality multi-plug they have. I bought a 4-place multiplug for about 14 Euro.
So I would think the best quality plug you can find in a "serious" electrical shop would be fine acoustically (????) and easiest to connect up to your Hydra cable.
What would be the difference between that and one from K-mart? Bear in mind that Australian plugs aren't fused, so that should already give you a lift in sound quality;)

I use stackable Tapons, made by PDL. That's what the NZ dealer uses and recommends. No need for hydra and other distribution.

1059_main_image.jpg

Not sure if they are available in Oz, but they are easy enough to source from across the (Tasman) ditch.

James

I'm told that Naim tried the stackable plugs that were supplied by the NZ distributor and were impressed. AFAIK they now supply them on NZ bound Powerlines. Sadly, for some reason (doubtless over-zealous bureaucracy at work), I don't think they can be legally supplied in Australia.

Thanks for the replies. Have been in bed, so sorry for slow response.

My first port of call was the local Naim dealer (interstate as sadly no Naim dealers in South Australia). He didn't know himself but advised me to contact a chap in Sydney called Harry York, who appears to be the Naim expert down here.

I shall check ebay for the stackable Tampons (need to be very careful with my search criteria).

So I shall try out Harry or other than that I guess it's be a good quality plug as suggested above or maybe an email to Naim.

Mind you I shall be some distance from the local substation so I guess it may all be academic!

Thanks again.

Guy

Clipsal is the manufacturer you want to check out.

Where are you in SA, I'm in Salisbury Park.

Steve

Harry York is from Audio Genesis

Audio Genesis
Shop 4, No 1 Murray Street
Pyrmont
NSW 2009

Ph (02) 9566-4621
Fax (02) 9566-4314
Email [email protected]

I think they're the distributor of Naim equipment.

When I bought my Naim and Linn equipment 25+ years ago (in Australia)
there were a reasonable number of friendly helpful dealers around. Sadly,
not so now.

Stackable 3 pin plugs are outlawed in Australia, people were making extension
leads with them allowing for the possibility of exposed pins carrying 240VAC.

Welcome to a Land Downunder.
I still run most of my equipment on 13 amp English plugs despite having been living in Oz for some 20 years now. Highly illegal I know but those Aussie plugs are just crap. Be careful with some of the cheap Chinese plug boards as I have come across plenty that have faulty sockets.

Mike

BTW Contrary to popular opinion Naim kit will run on any plug!! Lol

Harry uses a version (not gold plated) of this Furutech on Oz Powerlines, not cheap at around $125, but if you only need one for a Hydra then not too bad.

Clipsals are used for the standard Naim leads, soldered not screwed on. I confess they've always looked crap to me compared to the chunky pommy plugs, but being unfused must be a bit of a leg up.

T-A-M-P-O-N-S are illegal in Oz these days.

fi_au3112_l.jpg

Gawler's not a bad spot, nice little race track there, and not too far from Barossa or Clare if you're overcome by thirst.

What would be the difference between that and one from K-mart? Bear in mind that Australian plugs aren't fused, so that should already give you a lift in sound quality;)

Don't know about Australia, and I don't know what K-mart is, but here in Italy you can get Chinese-made multi-plugs, or plug boards as somebody called them, that cost 5-7 Euro. Or Italian-made equivalents that cost twice as much (e.g. Vimar).
I've opened up both kinds, and they are completely different. The Chinese have thin metal (looks like plated steel) strips running down the whole length that make the electrical contacts at each socket. The Vimar has a solid female socket, the same as you get in the wall, in each place, and they are connected to each other with thick solid core copper wire.
As to the sonic effects I can't say. But the Vimar is definitely more solid and well-engineered.

I've now had a chance to ring Harry York, although I didn't speak with him personally. The business, now renamed Number Audio were really knowledgeable and helpful. They use Clipsal plugs as above but thought the quality of plugs available in Oz was generally poor. He felt a separate spur was usually the most productive idea.

So I shall try Clipsal when I've tracked some down.

Thanks for all the input.

Guy

p.s. Batty I'm not far away in Gawler.

Hi you can buy the PDL plugs like naim use for NZ but minus the piggyback feature . Also if you don,t have young children , or are not prone to sticking metal objects near you power plugs pins whilst in the powerpoint ,grab a stanley knife and cut the plastic that goes half way down the positive and neutral pins off , until several years ago they came that way standard ,and for some strange reason it sounds better that way .

advertisement

Back