advertisement

Internal pics of a Naim DVD player

That mech has been long unavailable. I think it was used by Arcam, Linn and Meridian as well as Naim. From what I heard recently, I think Naim still have replacements though. Which, as a DVD5 owner myself is good news! You should give their service department a call.

That mech has been long unavailable. I think it was used by Arcam, Linn and Meridian as well as Naim. From what I heard recently, I think Naim still have replacements though. Which, as a DVD5 owner myself is good news! You should give their service department a call.

to add, it was also used by Creek in their CD50MK2. however, what's linked in by colasblue does not really look like a(n original) DVS-DSL-710A...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have...... £250 to change a £40 mech........which I reckon would take 10 minutes......

Well, buy the £40 mech then. Just make sure it's a new one, not second-hand or reject "B" stock, and that it's exactly the same type - there are differences, so I'm told. Best of luck.

As with any firmware-based mech–confirm firmware version before purchase; also confirm with the device manufacturer if software updates are required to use a different mech or different firmware on original-type mech.

IIRC the DVD5 only used the DVS-710A, but the n-Vi also used the DRL-200 in later units (as do full-width Naim music servers–which use yet an altogether different firmware on the same mech).

The mech shown in the prior links is the older version, and certainly not the form factor used in the DVD5–colasblue is correct.

looking at the innard photos...it looks like the DVD5 has about 5x as much filter capacitance and 3x the transformer size as most competing products- both of which are part of the power supply. And much of the Naim sound is due to overbuilt power supplies.

I had a DVD5 on home demo many years ago- it soundly trashed both the audio and video qualities of my $1000 Arcam player. No mean feat as the Arcam player was (and I say WAS because the transport failed after 3 years, and no warranty) a very good CD and DVD player.

advertisement

Back