advertisement

LINN 'Lemon' anti-CD ad ...

Chumpy

pfm Member
Hello. Have just scanned all my old magazine Linn ads - shared a.m. UK on SoulSeek most mornings ...

I gave plenty of hard-copy away a few years ago, and am missing the 'Is it a Lemon?' anti-CD ad.

Please might someone post it, or supply details of where I can get a scan etc - can't find one anywhere on web.

Thanks.

Wow - first reply. That's got to be a record, surely - Linn threads don't normally degenerate into folk making such comments until a dozen or so replies have been posted.

Well he's (Ivor) been proven to have been completely wrong about CD, so I thought it a fair comment...

A snippet from wikipedia:

The ads suggested the CD format was doomed to fail alongside other formats like 8 track stereo. Linn was to launch its own CD player a decade later.

Perhaps you are unaware that downloads now exceed CD sales (and you can still buy records - ordered the new Laura Marling today in fact).

CD was a lemon -now it's more of a lime.

(the adds didn't suggest that CD was 'doomed to fail' - they implied that it wasn't as good as it claimed to be)

Perhaps you are unaware that downloads now exceed CD sales (and you can still buy records - ordered the new Laura Marling today in fact).

CD was a lemon -now it's more of a lime.

(the adds didn't suggest that CD was 'doomed to fail' - they implied that it wasn't as good as it claimed to be)

And yet when Ivor accepted the challenge to put his assertions about digital to the test, he failed, miserably.

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/abx_testing2.htm

Blind leading the naked really–after all, what is streamed audio? Digital–as in "Digital Streamer".

The inability to reliably manufacture disc-based sources is not an excuse to bash digital audio.

In reality, good hi-fi could well be sold silently and efficaciously by Trappist monks, quite.

My sympathies are with Chumpy.

If you remember, all he wanted was a reprint of an ad and what has he got? (Lots of debate about Linn digital and nothing to do with his missing advertisement).

Yes indeed, thanks for interesting comments ...

I am biased, but have often found that the old Linn ads (up to about 1990 anyway) were jolly good, bit like most of their audio back then.

Quite liked that Pioneer PL12D t'table one with Pink F. DSOTM vinyl thereupon

I am still hopefully seeking scan etc/whatever of Linn 'lemon' ad ...

Seriously?
It was a test involving putting an ADC/DAC in line with an LP source; there wasn't a CD in sight.

AFAIK, nobody said all digital was bad, but merely that the implementation onto CD was deficient.

What Ivor missed was the convenience and "hi-tec" benefits of CD.

It was a test involving putting an ADC/DAC in line with an LP source; there wasn't a CD in sight.

AFAIK, nobody said all digital was bad, but merely that the implementation onto CD was deficient.
What Ivor missed was the convenience and "hi-tec" benefits of CD.

And yet he missed the 16/44.1 ADC/DAC combination in line with his LP12.

There's nothing wrong with 16/44.1 as a distribution format as has been repeatedly shown by doing the ADC/DAC back to back test.

S.

Even though it was being used at an effective 13 bit resolution... Courageous of him to try though, very sporting.

I bump for the OP's request to be fulifilled by someone if anyone can do so, which I can't. :)

There's nothing wrong with 16/44.1 as a distribution format as has been repeatedly shown by doing the ADC/DAC back to back test.

S.
I don't know about the particular test - I wasn't there.

I know I could damn well tell the difference between CD and LP at the time, and I know that I embraced CD and then became dissatisfied and eventually replaced my CD player with an LP12.

And is this about CD, or digital in general.

I don't know about the particular test - I wasn't there.

I know I could damn well tell the difference between CD and LP at the time, and I know that I embraced CD and then became dissatisfied and eventually replaced my CD player with an LP12.

And is this about CD, or digital in general.

We're straying off the subject a bit, but never mind! Of course there's a difference between CD and LP. Completely different formats with different performance envelopes. Which one prefers is a personal judgement, like preferring Burgundy to Bordeaux. Which one is technically better, however, isn't a personal judgement, the measurements are very clear.

S.

oh god, not this again.

I get SO sick of people comparing CD to LP, and they are typically using a recent digital ''re-master'' compressed, remastered with a poor dynamic range vs an old vinyl LP with higher quality mastering.

I've said this before, and people's eyes seem to glaze over, and then a few posts later its....but but but I tried them both and XXX is better !!

It's like primary school.

advertisement

Back