advertisement

Oh dear!!

orangeart

KJF Audio Ltd.
My wife has just rang me to say that my speakers started making a loud (she says deafeningly) buzzing/screeching and that she can smell burning :(

Guess I'll need the HackerNap boards and components more urgently than i was hoping for!!

Bummer. Only hope the speakers are ok, I've got no speaker protection units installed at all :eek:

Stefan.

I feel for you bud...hope the're ok!

Fingers crossed :O XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

My wife has just rang me to say that my speakers started making a loud (she says deafeningly) buzzing/screeching and that she can smell burning :(

Hey ,long ago I was running a philips valve system with separate matching speaking - 12" bass and tweeter. While I was off the premises my sister mistakenly plugged the speaker into the MAINS.

Of course when I used it was completely dead and I only discovered what had happened by seeing the burned cable connected from the amp.

These were very sensitive speakers and I did wonder how the sounded with applied 247 volts .:eek:

however did she manage to get it plugged in??

I once went to a car show to see a 'soundoff' one guy there had 4x 18inch 'bins' plugged into 50hz 240v. Not for long, but the party piece was the windows blowing out of the vehicle when he powered up!!!!!

........Just painted my windows at the weekend so i hope she's not followed suit :p

Stefan,

I've got a couple of replacement NAP clones of yours all set up and ready to go here if needed asap! Fingers crossed the speakers are OK.

John

Just got in, to gutted to take a look, my 5 year old said one of the speakers wad smoking and it was so loud he went to stand outside....... In the rain....... Oh dear...... I guess the new traffo that was a bit over the 50v my psu caps are rated for messed it all up :(

What should I look at first then?

Cheers john,

Although if the speakers are gone they'll be of little use!

Need to ignore it for a day or two and purge the emotional response first before attempting a fix.

As a thought....Wilmslow audio maybe able to provide some superb replacement drivers and crossover for you to fit in the cabinets?

Its quite a good excuse for an upgrade.....

Hey ,long ago I was running a philips valve system with separate matching speaking - 12" bass and tweeter. While I was off the premises my sister mistakenly plugged the speaker into the MAINS.

How did she actually manage to do that? :confused::confused:

Wooho, nothing really wrong. The signal earth wire had somehow come adrift in the dac :( The smoke must have been a figment if my boys imagination. All good now, thank goodness.

Stefan

It was probably dust from the grills being puffed up by the speaker going a bit mad. Nice end to a bad story.

Glad it was a simple fix :)

Just before christmas I had a scare, I was listening to some classical at low volume when I heard a big bang followed by a loud shreak from my speakers and one of my power amps going into protection shortly followed by the whole system shutting off and smoke coming from behind the rack !!!

It was a monster mains block that had blown up big time, I now have a simple high quality merlin block in place (I already had it but wasn't using it as the monster was a gift), HUGE improvement :D

advertisement

Back