advertisement

Tannoy Crossover Upgrade

Pound0sound

pfm Member
Hi have a set of Tannoy S8's and was upgrading the cross over with Wilmslow Audio parts.

As I understand you should use direct replacements.

My parts have a arrived and I'm just doing soldering now and I realised the 30UF 100v cap has been replaced by Wilmslow for a 50v 30uf cap.

What will this lowering of 50v do? Should I solder this part in, might it damage the drivers?

Any info would be great!

Rob

Found this: normal home amplifier don't hit 600w in to 4ohms do they? If not, looks like Im all good but would like to make sure.

Capacitor Voltage Ratings
All capacitors have a maximum voltage rating. Capacitors used for crossovers are no different. Capacitors rated for use at 100 volts are OK to use with virtually all car audio amplifiers. For amplifiers rated to produce more than 2500 watts into 4 ohms, you will need higher voltage capacitors. 50 volt caps are good for amplifier rated up to 600 watts into 4 ohms. There is a calculator on the 'damping factor' page of this site which will calculate the voltage needed to produce a given power into a given load. Use capacitors rated higher than the voltage given by the calculator.

A 50V part will be fine, unless you have a very high powered amp. What sort of amplifier will you use?

Subjectively, some people say that higher rated capacitors sound slightly better, but I don't believe it myself.

A 50v will be OK, its well within the operating voltage of any system
But not so with replacing a 30uF with a 50uF; looking at the schematic it will change the integration between LLF & LF woofers, albeit not that dramatically.

Unless Wilmslow have done this deliberately for whatever reason, I advise not to go ahead until you call them & ask the question - its not as though they don't sell 30uF caps

Thanks for all the responses, Mike, the UF values are the same except for voltage, in my post I swapped the order round, that was a bit mis-leading, sorry!

Im using an Avonadale 250. I think its rated at 90-120 wpc - will probably bi amp one day when I find the right bit, not sure how that will affect the voltage.

I have my eyes on a Marantz Pearl integrated - 150wpc but that might be some time.....beautiful machines, no idea why the Hifi press have been so unemotional about them.

Avondale 250 has, if I remember correctly, a supply of about +/- 40V, so you can't send more than that to the speaker. So 50V rated is fine; 100V gives a larger safety factor.

advertisement

Back