advertisement

Arcam Alpha 5+ replacement advice

I have an AAA5+ (Avondale modified Arcam Alpha 5+) too, and it sounds great. I’ve had the tray loading go wrong twice, sadly. These units are getting on a bit and this seems to be their fate.

The first time, the whole unit was swapped by Avondale Audio (free of charge, I might add, even though it was a second hand unit that I hadn’t even bought directly from them!).

The second time, as like you I don't live close to Chesterfield, I got a replacement Philips CDM 9 tray gear from eBay for a tenner and did it myself. I can email instructions to you if you want to explore this route.

I don't mind having to open the tray manually but, if I decide to get a new player, I might replace the tray gear anyway just so it is a bit more usable for the next owner. (Even if I have to give it away, I don't want it going to the dump!)

This won’t stop the skipping though. May be a stupid question, but have you tried running a CD cleaning disc through it a couple of times? Sometimes this is all that is needed.

It has never been cleaned. Before now, it hasn't been an issue and, to be honest, I wasn't sure whether CD cleaning disks actually work. There are so many things in the AV world that are just a con! Are cleaning disks all much the same or are some brands better then others?

Otherwise, you could see about replacing the whole CDM 9 transport (£35 to £50 on eBay), either yourself or get someone else to do it.

Don't you just love Ebay - and forums like this which give you the part numbers. But I don't think my other half would trust me to replace the transport, especially as she won't want too much musical down time.

When I approach Infidelity to find out their price for a Rega Apollo, I will see if they can get the AA5+ repaired instead and go from there.

Why, which parts do you expect to break if the transport is replaced and the player given a fair service?

(given that the owner is entirely happy with their system)

I can list them:

Laser / transport (as seen might be on its way here)
Draw gear (as seen here)
DAC chip over heating long term, resulting in distortion noise, small heatsink prevents issue.
Capacitor under rated near transformer, should be changed as part of the service anyway, its an electrolytic, as should the others, cheap as chips once the player is open anyway.

I'll lay money these will be around when many players in the decade that followed are gone.

If I were looking for a new player, and perhaps some modern tech there is only one place I'd be keen on http://www.audiolab.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?lang=En&Tab2=8200CDQ

advertisement

Back