advertisement

Arcam Alpha 5+ replacement advice

advb69

Hi,

This is my first post so I hope it is appropriate for this forum!

Basically, our CD player (an Arcam Alpha 5 plus) is on its last legs. The tray transport packed up a year ago - so we have been manually opening and closing it using a makeshift tab on the front - and now it has started to jump with some CDs.

Given its age, we are now looking for a suitable replacement CD player that will fit in with the rest of the system, which is:

Naim Nait 3 integrated amplifier
Rega ELA speakers

We did some listening tests when we bought the system but, short of replacing everything (which we don't want to do), this really isn't an option so we may have to buy blind on this.

Our musical tastes remain similar to whan we bought the system (primarily rock) but my wife also listens to a lot of beat heavy world and ethic music. All our CDs are just standard CDs, not SACD, plus a very small number of CD-RWs.

We will probably go back to where we bought the original system (Infidelity in Kingston) but I would be grateful for all and any advice on what is likely to be suitable. Because the system has worked so well for the last 16 years, I am now totally out of touch!

Many thanks!

From memory, Avondale Audio hold spares for the Alpha 5 and can transform this CD player into something really special.

You still have a lovely basic system, I like Ela's

I'd find another Arcam 5, it is well suited to your little system (and mine ;)). You wont get anything close for the money you will spend.

Alternatively you could pick up one of the many Philips or Marantz players.

Yes the Nait and Elas still cut it, what is your budget?

I know them in Infidelity, great place, if new the Rega Apollo would be a nice fit.

I had one a while back and liked it. If second hand I now run a Linn Karik III which is considerably better.

Yes the Nait and Elas still cut it, what is your budget?

I don't have a budget as such - just the best (value) player that will fit with the Nait and ELAs. Given that the Alpha 5+ plus cost (I think) about £500 when I got it all those years ago, that would seem a reasonable upper limit. I did wonder, with the advancement of technology, whether equivalent players would now cost less. But then, with the rise of DVD and home cinema, I can see that CD players are now less mainstream and so may cost more!

I know them in Infidelity, great place, if new the Rega Apollo would be a nice fit.

Thanks - it looks like this gets goods reviews. The top loading would mean that we would have to rearrange the various components (and Freeview boxes) but I do like the idea of a simpler mechanism.

I had one a while back and liked it. If second hand I now run a Linn Karik III which is considerably better.

I think I would prefer new. As well as the Alpha 5 going wrong, our backup Denon system in the bedroom is also starting to play up! I wouldn't want to buy a second hand player in case history repeats itself again...

Thanks for your comments

You still have a lovely basic system, I like Ela's

I'd find another Arcam 5, it is well suited to your little system (and mine ;)). You wont get anything close for the money you will spend.

Gaius suggested the Rega Apollo as an alternative. From the reviews at least, I thought it should be on a par. But I'd be very interested in any areas where you think the Alpha 5 might have the edge still.

Alternatively you could pick up one of the many Philips or Marantz players.

Ironically, I still have the Marantz CD873 which I had before the Arcam Alpha. If the Alpha 5 packs up completely - or if I send it off for repair - at least I have something to use.

I can vouch for the Avondale modified Arcam Alpha 5+ (Known as an AAA5+). The Avondale mods really transform this player into something special, as many on here will testify. They are prone to failure of the mechanism that operates the drawer, but Avondale fix this when they do the mod. I paid around £350 for the mods but it may well be more now and it's no longer listed on their website. AFAIK it's a collection from Chesterfield job as Les had trouble with lots of players getting damaged in transit.

Top guy to deal with.

Great amp and loudspeakers, get a better source, I would not rely on one man's mood, I strongly aggree looking at Rega electronics, full backed up service, great sound and not that expensive, get a Saturn if fund permit otherwise Apollo maybe DAC

I mentioned the Alpha again simply because I get on with the D/A chip better, I have tried a lot of CD Players, in fact I have a Naim CD3 sitting next to it right now which of course uses the same chip and transport as the Alpha - this is what makes the Arcam 5 special.

Incidentally your Marantz has got a TDA1541 chip inside too, whereas the Arcam has the A version TDA1541A.

I'm in full agreement with mozza, and echo his statements. I've had an AAA5+ for a couple of years now, and fortunately was able to get to Chesterfield. Perhaps Zener might be able to help? But by all means have a chat with Les.

I can vouch for the Avondale modified Arcam Alpha 5+ (Known as an AAA5+). The Avondale mods really transform this player into something special, as many on here will testify. They are prone to failure of the mechanism that operates the drawer, but Avondale fix this when they do the mod. I paid around £350 for the mods but it may well be more now and it's no longer listed on their website. AFAIK it's a collection from Chesterfield job as Les had trouble with lots of players getting damaged in transit.

Top guy to deal with.

Ah, Chesterfield is a 3 hour drive from where I live. Once you add petrol costs to the price of the mods, it would be a lot closer to the price of a new Rega Apollo.

Given my normal level of inertia and laziness, I will probably end up getting a Rega Apollo locally!

Arcam cd192. If you like the Arcam 5, this is the same with a bit more bite and detail for rock music.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like this has been discontinued which means it might be discounted down to the sort of price I am considering (<=£500).

Why not consider the Arcam FMJ CD 17 ?

In a word - price! I have set a (fairly arbitary) figure of £500 as my budget.

When I went in to Infidelity all those years ago, it was just to replace my blown speakers. Came out with a completely new - an hugely better - system. I have never regretted it for a moment but I want to avoid getting sucked into the process again just yet!

I have an AAA5+ (Avondale modified Arcam Alpha 5+) too, and it sounds great. I’ve had the tray loading go wrong twice, sadly. These units are getting on a bit and this seems to be their fate.

The first time, the whole unit was swapped by Avondale Audio (free of charge, I might add, even though it was a second hand unit that I hadn’t even bought directly from them!).

The second time, as like you I don't live close to Chesterfield, I got a replacement Philips CDM 9 tray gear from eBay for a tenner and did it myself. I can email instructions to you if you want to explore this route.

This won’t stop the skipping though. May be a stupid question, but have you tried running a CD cleaning disc through it a couple of times? Sometimes this is all that is needed.

Otherwise, you could see about replacing the whole CDM 9 transport (£35 to £50 on eBay), either yourself or get someone else to do it.

If you would rather just replace with a brand new CD player, that’s understandable. I haven’t explored that area enough to be helpful, I’m afraid, but the suggestions others have made all seem reasonable.

advertisement

Back