advertisement

How many Shahinian users on here

I wish there was something in between. I fear Arcs might have too much bass for my room, but occasionally I find my compasses could do with just that bit more clout lower down.

Hi

All these comments regarding Arcs vs. Compasses require caveats...........

For the record, I have Compasses. I really wanted Obelisks but they wouldn't work in my room - not enough space to get either design to "breath".

On that basis you can shoot me down in flames for owners bias but I've always felt the Arc was Dick's weakest model and never really warmed to it (so, yes, I prefer the Compasses and would only swap them for Obs. or Hawks - and a new room!).

What you need is a good home dem. of both models. If you find the Compasses work best then you won't be disappointed - I've never been, despite regular exposure to systems with Obs. & Hawks. They're good enough to show up the differences in the best of source and amplification components and, of course, they're still Shahinians with all the musicality and realism of delivery,etc., etc.

Just enjoy the music.................

Obelisks for about the last 4 years or so, they replaced active sbl's. I have even used DNM amplification with them, with great success. The most natural sound I have ever heard in my lounge!

I'm using Obs with Dynavector amps, I'm having good results running my Linn Akurate DS straight into the HX75 using the new digital volume control on the DS. I fancy trying a Linn Klimax twin sometime but can't really imagine not having the Shahinians.

Previous speakers have been Royd Edens, Linn Keilidh, Linn Ninka, Naim Credo and Shahinian Compasses.

Chris

Hi Chris,
I am using Linn Ninkas with a Creek Destiny integrated. Before that I had Keilidhs. I am considering to go for Compasses but have no opportunity to listen. Did you use the Compasses after the Ninkas? And if yes: Did you consider this move as a worthwhile improvement (comparable to Keilidh -> Ninka)? Thanks!

Hi

If I remember correctly, I did go straight from Ninka's (my second pair, passive) to the Compasses, they are quite different in many ways but overall I would say the Compasses are a big jump compared to Ninka's. More transparent and natural at the same time, they can sound a little laid back in the midrange but that feeling passes once you are used to them. Acoustic music sounds stunning, louder stuff sounds very good! They seemed easy to drive as well.

I hope this helps

Chris

Thanks Chris, it helps somehow. But I am not sure if they are the right speakers for rock music. You describe them as laid back, I am afraid that maybe they are too polite for me.

They aren't laid back at all. they sound good on any music, they just don't fire straight at you.

Pete

I purchased the original Obelisks in the early 80's from a friend. When I joined the audiophile fraternity I explored numerous loudspeakers. In 1999 I went back to the Shahinians, this time with the Diapason/Double Eagle system which I had to sell when I divorced and moved into an apartment. Now I've been living with my recent pair Shahinian Obelisks for 4 years and would never part with them.
The only speaker I feel is worth exploring is the Don Morrison line which share the same principle of sound projection. I've talked to Morrison, not a lot but enough to know he shares the same convictions of Shahinian which explains why these two designers born of the similar pasts have been relegated to just passing conversation. BTW Don Morrison recorded a CD that is worth purchasing if you want to hear what a great recording sounds like.
That's my bit.

Interesting thanks Butcus.

"Describing the sound of a point source omni-directional speaker is a bit like describing the taste of a strawberry."

Don Morrison

Very good :)

Hi Butcus you really ought to listen to the Obelisk 2. A big improvement. I think most if not all who have auditioned them in their system have upgraded.

Cheers,

DV

Hi Butcus you really ought to listen to the Obelisk 2. A big improvement. I think most if not all who have auditioned them in their system have upgraded.

Cheers,

DV

I dont like to hear that...;)
in what way are they actually better then the last model?

cheers

cheers

In every way. Ask someone like Jason (Re-Joyce) who can articulate better than I can.

For one thing they upgraded the sound from my LP12 vinyl front end so I have longer to seek out the upgrade for this which will be expensive

Cheers,

Cheers,

DV

Someone told me that Shahinian was using paper drivers for the woofer and I don't anything more than that, could you enlighten me. I have what was the latest before that. I also have the Double Eagle sub, I guess the drivers would have to be up-graded in that as well.

Thanks

Anyone have heard Chord amp with Shahinian?

I have used the Chord SPM 400 amplifer (100 watt); a hypex circuit digital amplifer (150 watts) and the Red Dragon digital amps (100 watts) with the Obelisks. Nice and polite, all of them but I find that the Shahinians worked best for me with good ole' class A solid state. I'm presently using the Threshold T 200 on the Obelisks and a pair of mono plate amps (1 for each woofer) on the Double Eagle Sub.

Best regards

cheers

I recently did the change from 1 to 2's

The change is not small.. in fact they are almost a different speaker and take some getting used to and adjusting if you are used to obs 1.

To summarise though:

1. a lot more open and transparent, usual cliche of lifting off several blankets applies
2. instruments sound more real (esp. the treble)
3. top end has been vastly improved and is sweeter and more extended, more airy and more real
4. the 2's are a tad brighter and livelier and possibly a bit faster, almost like adding a drop of SBL quality to the Obs 1
5. the slightly boxed in/velvety nature of the lower mids on the obs1 is now gone and the obs2 disappear more

overall, they are just more involving and bring you a lot closer to the music

I cant see me ever replacing mine and if I ever did, it would have to be a fuss free speaker that's on casters and can be wheeled around with the slightest hand gesture .... no, I don't think it'll ever happen.

I recently did the change from 1 to 2's

The change is not small.. in fact they are almost a different speaker and take some getting used to and adjusting if you are used to obs 1.

To summarise though:

1. a lot more open and transparent, usual cliche of lifting off several blankets applies
2. instruments sound more real (esp. the treble)
3. top end has been vastly improved and is sweeter and more extended, more airy and more real
4. the 2's are a tad brighter and livelier and possibly a bit faster, almost like adding a drop of SBL quality to the Obs 1
5. the slightly boxed in/velvety nature of the lower mids on the obs1 is now gone and the obs2 disappear more

overall, they are just more involving and bring you a lot closer to the music

I cant see me ever replacing mine and if I ever did, it would have to be a fuss free speaker that's on casters and can be wheeled around with the slightest hand gesture .... no, I don't think it'll ever happen.

Thanks!
That sounds very interesting. Just got my HX1.2 hooked up so I guess I will have to wait a bit for the next upgrade....
but on the other hand, I saved a lot of money going for the HX1.2 instead of the new HX100 :D:D

Do you know the retail price for the obs2 and how long is the delivery time on them?

cheers!

Thanks!
That sounds very interesting. Just got my HX1.2 hooked up so I guess I will have to wait a bit for the next upgrade....
but on the other hand, I saved a lot of money going for the HX1.2 instead of the new HX100 :D:D

Do you know the retail price for the obs2 and how long is the delivery time on them?

cheers!

Nice one !

You have the same as me. Are you using L300mkii as a pre ?

I paid 5k for mine. They were an order that the guy u turned on so technically secodnhand but he only usde them for a week or so and they were basically as new. I figured that I could be waiting years for a used set of obs2 to show up so i bought them within the first few bars of hearing what they were doing. I think they are 6k retail but no idea on the availability. My advice is not to have a listen unless you are in a position to buy. Its definitely that type of product !

advertisement

Back