advertisement

Input sensitivity question

sukalite

Hi Guys, I wonder whether someone can clear something up for me. My CD player has an output of 2V and my current pre-amp has an input sensitivity of 175mV for 0.5V output (max 7.76V). My power amps have input sensitivity of 0.5V or 2V (user selectable). As such is the pre-amp incompatible with the rest of the system? I ask because the character of the mids and highs is a bit mushy and listening to driving rock is an agonising experience. Could it be that the input of the pre or power amps are being overloaded? Any help would be much apreciated. Shamsur

It's likely that at high levels the preamp is being overloaded,which will at least give you a harsh and compressed,if not frankly distorted sound.

Attenuating the CD input to your preamp would be the easiest and cheapest way to isolate that as a cause,and you may find the following useful....

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

There are more expensive products around,and some cable companies will produce a custom made cable with an attenuator built in(such as Chord) if you are willing to pay!

Attenuated leads are available from Dave at Flashback Sales. They are cheaper than Rothwell, they are the friendliest people around and all leads are sent with the promise of a refund if not impressed. Last week they sent me 2 leads with different attenuation levels; they charged me for neither until I decided which one to keep!

Simon F

Speak to Flashback! I really don't understand the jargon. They sent me a -5dB and a -10dB I think. The -10dB gave the closest sound level to the record deck so I bought it.

Simon F

advertisement

Back