advertisement

Headphones for iPhone?

ricdil

Hard of Thinking
Had a look in the search for the usual suspects, Etymotics and Shure, but didn't find much on here recently about the latest models of in-ear phones. I've had a pair of Shures before and really liked the noise isolation that they provided.

But I'm not convinced I want to pay a lot again either unless someone can convince me otherwise as I'll be listening to EAC/Lame at around the 230KBs if I don't re-rip to a higher rate.

All the marketing blurb has left me cold and I can't think of anywhere in the Manchester area where you can listen to them (I'm a little out of the scene at the moment!). I could re-read all the guff but has anyone done a comparison recently?

Had a look in the search for the usual suspects, Etymotics and Shure, but didn't find much on here recently about the latest models of in-ear phones. I've had a pair of Shures before and really liked the noise isolation that they provided.

But I'm not convinced I want to pay a lot again either unless someone can convince me otherwise as I'll be listening to EAC/Lame at around the 230KBs if I don't re-rip to a higher rate.

All the marketing blurb has left me cold and I can't think of anywhere in the Manchester area where you can listen to them (I'm a little out of the scene at the moment!). I could re-read all the guff but has anyone done a comparison recently?
Try the Sennheiser CX300s. They are surprisingly good for the money and so inexpensive you can keep them as a backup pair if you buy them and don't like them.

Try the Sennheiser CX300s. They are surprisingly good for the money and so inexpensive you can keep them as a backup pair if you buy them and don't like them.

CX300s + 1

I have some Shure E2c and I don't use them now, the CX300s are better for iPod use IMHO.

CX300s + 1

I have some Shure E2c and I don't use them now, the CX300s are better for iPod use IMHO.
2 other points about the CX300s: they are efficient and robust, so they are easier on battery life and more suited to portable use.

I have some Etymotic ER6isolator phones which sound slightly better but are much less efficient and have a wonky connection in one side so I no longer user them.

As the sound quality out of the iPod/Phone/Pad is not that good don't spend stupid money on the phones it will not make it any better. However just about anything is better than the ones that come with the unit.

CX300's +1

Great for general use, sound good, the price is right and give you a nice reference for any better phones..

Sam

Another CX300 user here too. Too good for the money not to try them. Cheap enough to lose or break whilst commuting.

The Sennheiser CX300s seem too good to be true, under 30 quid? But I've got that snob thing going on again, wondering what you could get for just a little more money... But this is how I ended up in my current position with a pair of super expensive flagship headphones with a clear cable that has allowed me to watch the corrosion slowly rot the cable inside the sheath. All out of warranty, of course.

So I'm determined to go cheap this time, or not quite as expensive. Has anyone got real experience of some of the integrated iPod/iPhone microphone/volume/controls? Looked at the MM50 iP which look to be similar to the CX300 recommended here but I can't work out from the spec sheet which of the normal headphones the drivers are from.

The Sennheiser CX300s seem too good to be true, under 30 quid? But I've got that snob thing going on again, wondering what you could get for just a little more money... But this is how I ended up in my current position with a pair of super expensive flagship headphones with a clear cable that has allowed me to watch the corrosion slowly rot the cable inside the sheath. All out of warranty, of course.

So I'm determined to go cheap this time, or not quite as expensive. Has anyone got real experience of some of the integrated iPod/iPhone microphone/volume/controls? Looked at the MM50 iP which look to be similar to the CX300 recommended here but I can't work out from the spec sheet which of the normal headphones the drivers are from.
Honestly, they are not far behind the cheapest Etys, and they are definitely much more robust. They are more efficient than most, which is always a good thing because it's less load on your battery. You might find the bass a bit strong, but they are much better than, say, the Sony MDR-EX71, which sound really murky in comparison. £20 or less from Amazon with eco packaging.

Has anyone tried the CX400s?

I've been caught out by the fake cx300s; the packaging is very good and very difficult to tell apart from the genuine article - very slight jpeg artefacts in the image otherwise pretty much identical.

The mini jack plug however on a new pair should be a tiny L shaped plug, my fakes were big cheap standard jobbie.

My fakes broke down pretty quickly (1 month or 2) and taken apart looked pretty cheap. I did get them for free however on challenging the seller when I bought them.

If in doubt stay away I say, as you won't get guarantee which is really required imo...

Have tried CX400's, a few different Shures and a few others at the under £50 bracket, and I prefer my (genuine) CX300-II's. Not prepared to pay over £50 for in ear jobbies, would rather use my Sennheiser 555's..

Sam

I'm 99.9% sure that these Creative EP-630 are identical to the Senns, except the price :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009G6FQI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Edit: I've just compared my Creatives to the photos on the FakeEarPhones.com site and these Creatives are visually (and to my ears aurally) absolutely identical to the genuine CX300s. The only difference being a Creative logo rather than the Senny one.

I've explore expensive ear buds and regretted the decision due to moisture and ear wax, I've found I'm far better off spending £7-10 each on the Creatives (I buy three pairs at a time) and just swap them out as they get knackered.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have Ety 6s and a lot of other headphones (Senn 600, Senn 25, Senn 280, Grado 80s etc). Last year I bought some Klipsch Image X5 in-ears. They are brilliant, accurate and fun. Excellent bass (maybe a touch bolder than neutral) and a much more comfortable fit than the Etys. Well worth a try. For some reason I can't find any cheap ones in the UK at the moment though.

Here's a little review:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2009/01/22/Klipsch-Image-X5-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/p1

And a thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/386667/klipsch-image-x5

The X10s are slightly more refined in the treble (to my ear) but the X5s are fine value IMO.

Andrew

I've been caught out by the fake cx300s; the packaging is very good and very difficult to tell apart from the genuine article - very slight jpeg artefacts in the image otherwise pretty much identical. ..

So are you saying the fakes created jpeg artefacts (how can any headphone do that?) or that they revealed the artefact when the genuine ones could not? In which case the fakes were more accurate?

advertisement

Back