advertisement

Do Supports Matter with SS pre-amps?

What is the good set up kit? I can't really tell any difference, however I just rooted the track down on Spotify which I listen to 95% of the time now and the sound was noticeably inferior on Spotify. I know its lossy but there was a big difference. A good analogue setup is it or were I imaging the crackles at the beginning?
All played and compared directly through ear buds on PC laptop with no Dac etc. I usually listen via Dac and speakers though.

The kit is the same on both recordings. A minor change was made to the phono and line stage pre amp setup in the rack on the "bad setup" recording. No cables were unplugged or amps powered down during the change.

Kit is an LP12/GS sub-chassis/Lingo/Ekos2/Klyde; Exposure 13 phono, 19 line pre-amp on a Mana amp rack.

John,

I listened intently but couldn't hear any difference between the two set-ups -- good and bad -- which definitely wasn't the case when you did the turntable support poll.

A lot of my ideas about audio have been turned upside down lately, and no doubt they will continue to evolve, but my thinking right now is that vibrations are an issue with turntables (obviously), some tube kit and some MC phono stages.

I'm still unsure if CD players, transports and DACs are affected by vibrations to any significant extent. Maybe that's the next thing to try. (pfm to Rob, pfm to Rob,...)

Joe

John,

Joe, maybe you don't want to hear a difference.;).
Actually, I'd feel better if stands and isolation widgets did make a significant difference, as I've spent hundreds over the years on supports and extortionately priced cones, spikes, rubber, neoprene and sorbothane widgets.

I still think the quality of a source is paramount, and if it's a turntable it undoubtedly benefits from meticulous set-up and a good support, but I'm done spending a hundred clams on some carbon-fibre cones for my preamp's power supply (back when I had a preamp with a separate power supply).

Joe

I'm not too sure cones provide isolation more than the just couple. Something like Barry Diament's idea of isolation makes more sense if isolation is the goal. Cheap to try if you're motivated, your Stingray would be a good candidate to experiment with, might cost you $6.00.

If I were to try a different rack, the Symposium Isis would interest me. I'm pretty happy with how the angle iron has worked out so have no plans to change.

I'm with Colasblue here with the "good" file making the band and tune sound more confident.

I streamed them from my server and a new SB Touch just installed today and will try again tomorrow where gear warmup might show even more differences.

I'm with Colasblue here with the "good" file making the band and tune sound more confident.

I streamed them from my server and a new SB Touch just installed today and will try again tomorrow where gear warmup might show even more differences.

Thanks for listening Dave, that description jives with what I'm hearing as well.

Wow, downloads now at 54/24, Alpha/Omega, enjoy!

I've spent hundreds over the years on supports and extortionately priced cones, spikes, rubber, neoprene and sorbothane widgets.

You must have heard differences then, surely?

I'm curious as this is one area I haven't even begun to explore, other than putting my TT on a slab of cut paving stone.

RHCD,

You must have heard differences then, surely?
I'm finding with these blind tests that what I previously believed to be big differences are smaller than I thought and that the small differences are mostly not big enough to worry about.

Joe

advertisement

Back