advertisement

£500,000 for a Lennon album!

Hmmm. Well £500k for any record is a bit mad ... But £500k for a relic maybe not so if relics are your bag.

It's got history, provenance and a connection to one of the most famous events in the rock and roll era. It is unique and whoever buys it will be buying a bargain IMO. The price will soar over time and it will be worth millions in 10 - 20 years time. I wish I had a spare £500K, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I know someone who has inherited boxes and boxes full of white label test pressings and acetates from recordings made at Abbey Road with many Beatles recordings in there. Of course he knows they are worth "something" but I suspect he doesn't quite know just how much.

I did offer him a tenner for them.. funny.. he didn't take me up on that. ;-)

I did find this on eBay which states no proper test pressings exist for The Beatles LP's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beatles-DEMO-FACTORY-SAMPLE-Sgt-Pepper-Mono-LP-1-1-/180586261733

These white labels etc apparently came from one of the engineers who used to work there who archived copies of original test pressings before they were officially released as demo pressings.. One for EMI.. one for me.. I think must of been his ethos. ;-)

I'll find out more when I next see him.. see if I can "borrow" a few as I'm sure he doesn't have a decent turntable to check them out on.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I know a guy who worked for Granada TV as a sound engineer, he has several acetates of The Beatles which he recorded when they visited the studios, he is saving them for a rainy day, or his children to find in the loft.

There's something about 'Chapman's forensically enhanced fingerprints' on the sleeve that makes me feel a little uneasy tbh.

I agree.
I could see it in a museum of the macabre, but it's almost a murder weapon. Not a particularly tasteful collectable and it must carry some pretty heavy bad karma.
I wouldn't want it in my house, or anything to do with it.

Yoko being on it would be the clincher though.

It's a fossil aint it? Like a skeleton of a King with a spear through the ribs.

Creepy investment IMO

Sorry Barry I've only just seen your posting- Rasher, lexi and Sid sum it up for me....Macabre is the correct word and morally dubious springs to mind as well.
I thought you might have doubts as to its authenticity, that is all.
Not everyones cup of tea, I'm sure but value-wise it is a bargain. Have you any idea how much Damien Hirst's pickled sheep are worth now?

I thought you might have doubts as to its authenticity, that is all.
Not everyones cup of tea, I'm sure but value-wise it is a bargain. Have you any idea how much Damien Hirst's pickled sheep are worth now?

Re: DH....probably worth a mint (sauce).....grabs coat.....

I collected all the newspapers at the time (Dec 1980) and have been wondering what to do with them!

John went to Art school next door to my school....met a few times.

advertisement

Back