advertisement

How many Shahinian users on here

I have had a pair of Arcs now for around 4 years. I must admit i payed over the odds for my pair on ebay, but i have enjoyed their natural and life like presentation ever since.
I drive them using an avondale 260Z power amp, and this combination seems to work very well. The fact that they are relatively un-fussy about placement, and they can be easily moved is a big bonus. Together with their wide sweet spot makes it a very easy speaker to live with.

Two questions:-
1. Does anyone actually make boxes to cover the tops as mentioned by someone earlier? I dont have cats but i do have a 20 month old boy who likes to bang the tops of the speakers when i am not looking.
2. Has anyone tried standing them on speaker cones? If so did it improve the sound?

GN.

1: Not that I've heard of, but it would be simple job for a good joiner.
2: You will probably be aware according to Shahinian there's no point, due to the design. I haven't tried, but a friend did with Obs & couldn't hear any difference.

I moved from SBLs too, and i do enjoy the more natural sound they give. I also love the way they are easy to move around and they have a wide sweet spot.

SBLs have their strengths, but they take a lot of careful placement and setup.

Arcs - and looking for Obelisks :)
Tried to drive my Arcs with Naim 150X/Nac122 - not successfull..
Yesterday I got an Exposure IV DR, late version, and a Croft Epoch Pre.
Air, power and Transparency. My Arcs finally woke up from the dead :)

I am that rare person who sold his pair of Arcs - SWMBO complained because she couldn't rest her tea cups on them! Replaced with a pair of active ATC 50s, which are different from the Arcs and better really in any rational analysis. But I still missed the Arcs and bought another pair less than a year later, which now make up my AV system, coping well with being in a circular room (an oast house). I am not selling them again. They are great casual speakers, go amazing low for small boxes, are easy to site, wonderful on vocals and guitars, pretty convincing on orchestral stuff. Just very good and different and enjoyable speakers.

Andrew

I have gone from Linn Kan - Sbl's to Obelisks and in the same time the amount of Naim gear has gone from 100% to 0%. I am now pretty happy with my setup;
WTA/Weiss Dac2 - DV L300/P300 - Avondale S100 - Obelisks.....but I can imagine that a bigger amp would take it to a even higher level....Bring on the HX100 :)

I have gone from Linn Kan - Sbl's to Obelisks and in the same time the amount of Naim gear has gone from 100% to 0%. I am now pretty happy with my setup;
WTA/Weiss Dac2 - DV L300/P300 - Avondale S100 - Obelisks.....but I can imagine that a bigger amp would take it to a even higher level....Bring on the HX100 :)

Nice system just get a decent power amp and you've cracked it.

HELLO.. yes I am a shahinian user

Obelisks

But I might be changing them for OBELISK2 very very soon. People tell me its a massive upgrade.

As for the HX100 ... it's damm hard keeping up in this game !!!

Good lad.

Have to say, the Isis is amazing through L300/1.2/Obelisk. Just sounds incredible the more I listen to it.

But I might be changing them for OBELISK2 very very soon. People tell me its a massive upgrade.

Ooh no, I do not want to hear that....
Well I could'nt be happier about my Obelisks so I think they will stay put for some time... but it would be interesting to hear what a DV power amp can do with them compared to my S100.

advertisement

Back