advertisement

NJ321/729 Loaner Programme...

I think that because the gain is set by the value of the feedback components (r9 c5 iirc) there is an optimum circuit design that just happens to be the original NAIM value. At lower gains IMHO the sound becomes polite. Some perceive this as improved detail but I don't subscribe to that. 12x gain has detail and slam.

You can have bass slam in a small room, it's just not easy to achieve.

how, the room modes just don't allow it.

You can have bass slam in a small room, it's just not easy to achieve.

Here here, just been comparing my old 110 to my recently acquired 250. The 250 is overall better with my 72 it has an occasion to bloom on the occasional track whereas the 110 didn't. The 110 does sound a bit thin when switching back though. Will keep with the 250. I hope the soon to arrive 52/Supercap will sort this out.
Too many hard surfaces probably in my room.

Ok here's my experience...

Running my '72 through a NAP150 into ATC SCM40's with a Rotel RCD855 and Beresford Caiman DAC I have to say that on balance I preferred Avondales 821 cards. While I did have some good suprises with the NJ cards, in particular the width of stereo separation and the inky blackness of silences in the end I found the Avondale cards gave notes greater attack and thus the music more excitement. I found the NJ cards to be a bit too laid back for me. Interesting as this appears to be the opposite for most other people but there you go.

When I have saved enough for a Teddycap I can see myself coming back onto the loaner list for another listen as no one was as suprised by the results I got as me.

Thanks Neil!

Hi Robert, that's exaclty why is essential to audition stuff and not be herded into decisions...you are welocome to take a second lsiten in the near future.

Currently the boards have arrived safely in Italy before heading to Germany and then back to the UK...
  • bizxo (current holder)
  • ramskinder (Germany)
  • Paul3

njc, my thoughts:
Every musician, every instrument has his own space, even the smallest tonal details are excerted.
Some motion of the violin arch, a small push from the accordion, and you’re in. But never analytic. But the best thing is how everything gets unified with a controlled matter of course to amazing music full of dynamic. Or dramatic art, or just simple beauty.
The clear voice of Magda Kozena or the sound of Willy deVille. You won’t miss anything, even when you love the 62. Its timing is perfect, its rhythm is unimaginable in any other way, its arrangement is stunning, its bass not too present, fine.
Great art, great work! Respect, Neil! Those cards are an adventure, absolutely.
Regards, Fred

my music:
Tanita Tikaram: The sweet keeper (it all come back today, little sister, consider the rain)
Esther Ofarim: I’ll see you in my dreams, live 2009 (my lagan love)
Magdalena Kozena: Vivaldi (sonno, se pur sei sonno, und gelido in ogni vena)
Manfred Leuchter: zina (beata solitudo, >La Brume de L’Hivernage)<

sometimes:
Andy McKee, Art of motion: drifting.
Peter Doherty, Grece/Wastelands: Arcady, english roses.
KTU: Quiver and 8armed monkeys. Tara Bouman and Alex Buchholz: Contemporary. Manfred Leuchter & Ian Melrose: vis-a-vis, reel d‘Alphonse.

It's a very short list right now - like no one waiting - an ideal time to add your name if you were thinking about it.

Hi, have really enjoyed these cards since I've had them. Wonder if anyone can tell me what version they're on now and any major differences to the ones I have around gain etc:

Neil's Modified 729 July 2008 v1.1
Neil's Modified 321 April 2008 v1.0

Cheers

M

Currently in possession of these boards, and on first audition they take the 72 to a different level

Hi, have really enjoyed these cards since I've had them. Wonder if anyone can tell me what version they're on now and any major differences to the ones I have around gain etc:

Neil's Modified 729 July 2008 v1.1
Neil's Modified 321 April 2008 v1.0

Cheers

M

Hi M,

There's no sonic difference between the circuits just an few attempts to make it a bit neater and fit the components in better. The dates & numbers are really just batch numbers.

Just to add that gain is reduced by increasing R9...1K0 is standard Naim issue so unless they were built with a different value they will match the Naim volume levels.

Hi Neil

I would like to loan the original cards that I had at home as a reference, as you suggested via p.m.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi Neil
Could I please audition your cards again. I have just had my LP12/Ekos/Troika serviced and brought back into use, and I am not happy with what I hear. I wonder if the cards I am using are influencing this, 821s.

Regards
Paul

Just thought, I am building a B4, so maybe I should wait, or maybe it will be a long time before I complete my first build. LOL

advertisement

Back