advertisement

Goldring Lenco

the-mains-man

Trade: MCRU
Just received 5 of these, all need a lot of work doing to them, does anyone know of a company that specializes in parts fro them?

thanks

If you have 5 you should be able to build a couple of nice ones! They are very easy to work on, built like a Soviet tractor and can be disassembled completely with a spanner, a circlip remover and flat blade screwdriver. Really nice decks! There is a good user forum here: www.lencoheaven.net

Tony.

(who has two 1963 L70s)

What models are they? There's a ready market for the bearings, idler wheels and motors once you've made your dream decks. Do keep us posted with what you do!

Cheers,

Nic.

G75's I think, 3 in good nick, 2 no lids and knackered, can you put a different arm on these?

Yes but it's not a giveaway. The snag is you have a cutout in a very heavy steel top plate. This hole isn't in the right place for most aftermarket arms (I think a Decca International is a drop in fit though) so you have to do some cutting about. If you have a 12" arm these problems are solved, but the price may make you cough.

As do Pro-Ject and I think some Jelco arms, or theoretically any arm with a mounting distance in the 210 to 212mm region, maybe a bit longer depending on the way the arm mounts, though even arms which fit physically may present some issues regarding VTA. None of them are insurmountable but you need to be prepared to think about issues as they arise. I fitted a Pro-ject 9c to mine it works very well ... but I had to remove it's lift lower mech and use the built in Lenco Lift lower (which actually looks better and works fine), I had to get an insert made for the arm collar (the Lenco pillar/collar was a few mm wider), I had to drill a hole in the top plate to take the anti skate hoop and I am using an extra mat to raise the record surface (or I could have used a cartridge spacer).

With the right tools, extending the arm hole isn't too bad a job ... but you may still have VTA issues. A lot of people get round it by cutting the corner right off and mounting to the plinth. Personally though I think it spoils the look (and possibly compromises the stiffness of the top plate). It does depend to some extent how good a job is done on it though. I have seen people convert their L75s into GL88/99 alikes - but that does require some good metal working skills.

Alternatively ............

If your considering re plinthing , the top plate can be turned clockwise through 90 degrees which will allow you to fit any arm you want without any cutting of the top plate .

Yes it is Fraser. I cut the edge off about 10 mm wide and then cut a further 30 or 40 mm off and welded the edge back on. Some lead loading and painting finished it off. I really must get the plinth finished :(

I've seen a couple of Lenco L76 decks with Jelco made tonearms that looked really good, but i don't know if any came over here to the UK..

That IS a really nice job Chops. What are doing about engaging the idler?

I use the 16 rpm position to disengage the idler. A bolt positioned near the idler rod just before the bend in it contacts the rod when 16 rpm is selected and pushes the idler away.

You should be able to work it out from this pic

advertisement

Back