advertisement

Artists and records you just can't listen to anymore

Of course the king of kings in all this is Emerson Lake and Palmer, what utter crap! I had the first three albums until I came to my senses. Lucky man ... don't get me started!!! I've always hated that, and could never figure why it got any airplay (it used to get played a lot on "Classic Rock" stations in the US, don't know if it still does).

I loved The Clash at the time, but now I think they're basically Bruce Springsteen with better clothes.

I never believed in The Clash. because of :

a) Didn't think they were very original
b) Joe Strummer was a public school bully
c) Coupling 'I'm so bored with the USA' and then wearing a cowboy hat in a Cadillac.

Although I did go and see them a few times, well I was young is it.

DS

Of course the king of kings in all this is Emerson Lake and Palmer, what utter crap! I had the first three albums until I came to my senses. Lucky man ... don't get me started!!! I've always hated that, and could never figure why it got any airplay (it used to get played a lot on "Classic Rock" stations in the US, don't know if it still does).

I have a bit of a soft spot for "From the beginning" but other than that ... X-(

If they made music videos they would probably be all close up of their fingers and feet playing their instruments with dazzling speed intercut with pepsodent-smile face shots.

I need a shower now.

I really struggled thinking about this. Lots of stuff I've never liked. Lots of stuff I liked but rarely listen to (but wouldn't go so far as to say I couldn't) and then I remembered Clapton. I thought he was great as a teen, but these days ... I honestly can't.

And then I remembered post Exile Stones (except maybe Some Girls) - a lot of that's a struggle - I think mainly because over time I realised what a total cockmunch Jagger is and he gets on my nerves. Exile and before I can forgive him being a cockmunch because they are good records.

anything by gary glitter, david cassidy, most michael jackson, elton john, err the bay city rollers. ( i can still cope with some T Rex) ......as has been said before i'll get my outer garment...Please forgive me I was only 14 or 15.

I didn't like that lot at the time and still don't, aside from T Rex and John's Tumbleweed Connection.

I've met ex-Roller Les McKeown a few times. He is an amusing bloke who has been through some rough drug and alcohol problems.

Jack

Stella Street wouldn't have been the same without Jagger. 'This is retail'. Oh yes.

Comedy impersonations of cockmunch rockstars is probably OT :) I'd definitely much rather watch old episodes of Stella Street than have to listen to Undercover ... ever again. In fact I think I'd rather have a jab in the eye.

I really struggled thinking about this. Lots of stuff I've never liked. Lots of stuff I liked but rarely listen to (but wouldn't go so far as to say I couldn't) and then I remembered Clapton. I thought he was great as a teen, but these days ... I honestly can't.

Cream, Blind Faith, and D & the Ds are all still listenable, but once he became a JJ Cale Tribute Act, it was over.

All Pink Floyd stuff - this was too much a symbol of a certain era. Sometimes I happen to take out Piper when I come home drunk. Or the Madcap cam be fun too.

I find it's Eurythmics. Not that there's anything actually wrong with them, - the reverse, in fact - but they are just not for me any more.

I think it may have something to do with Annie Lennox's way of singing. She has an amazing voice but the delivery is always the same and I think she's just worn me out with it.

The fact that their stuff is not much played makes me think I'm not alone.

palp

I think it may have something to do with Annie Lennox's way of singing. She has an amazing voice but the delivery is always the same and I think she's just worn me out with it.

If she wasn't so stiff, controlled, and mannered, she could have been the "white Aretha".

On the other hand, the effortless control and the stiff brittle sheen, - say the way she raises the volume of her voice with no intake of breath and the operatic command of pitch has to be what makes her voice so astonishing.

Do you think it's the lack of engagement? She expresses emotion, but you never feel it, you just watch it being expressed and are impressed with what you are observing (unlike Aretha, say - or even Amy bloody Winehouse).

It's interesting how her solo albums do not succeed at all. Did Dave Stewart have the magic?

Oh God, I'm going to have to put some on, aren't I?

palp

advertisement

Back