advertisement

Spotify gaps

RickyC6

Infuriate the frog-men
A thread to moan about stuff that should be on Spotify but ain't. So aside from the two biggies - The Beatles and Led Zeppelin; there is no early period Pere Ubu...

sadly, some artists are pretty stuck up .... thats why there is no beatles etc on spotify (yet) ... you will also see on some cd's that are compilations, some of the tracks may be in red, and there is a message stating that the artist has refused the track to be allowed on spotify

cuts their noses to spite their faces .... I have bought many more cd's than I normally used to, ever since I joined spotify

Hi
There is some Graham Parker, but compilation stuff, no complete albums which is a bit of a pain, but remember you can always play music from your PC as well via Spotify.
Regards
Jim

I think it's a case of is our glass half empty or half full? There are huge gaps but then again it does encourage listening to a broader sphere of music and like a previous poster and many others have said it really does encourage you to actually purchase more music in hard copy.
After all it's only a tenner a month [3 or 4 pints] and can easily be stopped or suspended.

There are however about 30 versions of Dark Star by The Grateful Dead. I may have a 'Dark Star day' sometime.

Tony.

PS talking about gaps is there a way of getting it to play seamlessly on gapless albums?

I think it's a case of is our glass half empty or half full?

Pete I'm not really moaning - it's just a little odd some of the omissions, but then there is some amazing stuff on there that I never expected to find e.g. a load of Sarah Records albums and compilations. Am enjoying it immensely - its a an excellent extra "source" to add to my vinyl, CDs, sundry downloads and cassettes.

bear in mind that Spotify is still a very new site and they are uploading thousands of new tracks daily ...

they only recently added the function where you can download a track for a few pence to iphone etc, so many of the artists who have opted out of having their music played on spotify, may change their minds in time to come

as for playing the album seamlessly, I don't fully understand the question? .... If you have spotify premium (a tenner a month), there are no adverts and the tracks/playlists should play seamlessly... you also get 320kpb instead of 196 (think that is the figures?) ... if it is not, perhaps clean your computer/cache?

there also used to be an option where you upgrade the free version for a day pass if you are on spotify free ... costs a pound or so, and you get 24hrs of uninterupted music (without adverts at the 196kpb bandwidth), and was marketed for when you have a party etc .... I never used this but am sure it is still available

I think that spotify will do extremely well ... they only function in a few countries at the moment, and are expanding daily ... when the hit the USA, I think there will be zillions of new tracks added

I have been using spotify for several months now, and think its the best thing since sliced bread ... I have heard so much new music/artists and have spent a lot of money buying new cd's

For those who cannot get spotify yet, there is another site called grooveshark http://listen.grooveshark.com/

similar to spotify .... it's free (I have not really used this site extensively, but have had a quick look and it seems ok)

there is also a free program that runs in conjuction with spotify .... it allows you to find music similar to a specific artist/band and when you click on a result, it automatically plays the track in spotify .... works ok, ... program is called spotibot and here is the link:
http://spotibot.com/playlist/

Big Names:AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Lots of others I shouldn't wonder

Small Names: Huge numbers of people on minor labels. You're better served by Last.FM in that respect.

I'm not moaning though. I think it's good. Way better in many respects than all this hard disc malarchy.

Tony means playing albums where on the CD or vinyl version there is no gap between tracks. i.e. they may segue into each other or whatever. In Spotify there is always a definite pause between such tracks - whcih seriously ****s up the listening experience.

haha, quick edit :) I'm sure there must be examples that are on there though.

I know! They were the first 2 that sprang to mind which is weird as I haven't played DSOTM in decades in any format!

Before editing I gave 2 examples of albums that had tracks joining together and they were by the Beatles and Floyd - just in case you wonder what Uncle Ants is on about!
Diamind Dogs by Bowie - now there's one that's on Spotify!

Tony means playing albums where on the CD or vinyl version there is no gap between tracks. i.e. they may segue into each other or whatever. In Spotify there is always a definite pause between such tracks - whcih seriously ****s up the listening experience.

thanks ... that makes sense now ...

a typical example is: Neutral Milk Hotel ... Aeroplane over the Sea

tracks 1 and 2 (The King Of Carrot flowers parts 1, 2 and 3) should run continuously, but there is a split second gap ... so suppose they perhaps upload track by track and not the whole album in 1 shot?

Indeed...just played Diamond Dogs. The Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (reprise) section is awful. Original RCA vinyl it is then.

I blame these people with playlists.

advertisement

Back