advertisement

Advice on recording a live gig

Uncle Ants

I'm a Shop Keeper
I'm putting a gig on in a couple of weeks time in Nottingham. I'd like to record it but don't really know where to start with it. I know that taking a recording off the sound desk doesn't cut it, especially in a small venue where the backline is contributing a lot on top of the pa.

Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone in the Nottingham area has any experience of this and is willing to show me my arse from my elbow it would be even more appreciated - you'll get in for free and some drinks.

Apologies for cross posting to other forums btw

I record gigs out of the back of a desk all the time and at times they are remarkably good.......

On the desk there should be a seperate out (Mix B or similar) it may be called, make sure its set to pre-fade, and providing the gain on the intruments and vocals is at a fairly balanced level it works ok, can be vocal heavy if its a chugga chugga wahh wah band though.

Note this is not using the RCA tape outs that you find on the desk, its a seperate mix altogether, The RCA outs tend to be straight out, therefore free of any EQ.

Other easy suggestions are a zoom H2\M-audio Microtrack or similar sat somewhere in the room where the mix sounds good, or even a humble video camera that has reasonable sound quality works a treat.

Other suggestion is two mics crossed over in an XY pattern, a bit like a divining rod.

If you want something "proper" to work with you could perhaps hire something like an Alesis HD24 this is a multitrack recorder of up to 24 channels, use the direct outs from the desk to record every channel and then mix it down to 2 channels later.

Basically its live really, and you get what you get, its random, expect nothing and you will be rewarded. However as I said earlier, a well placed zoom h2 can give remarkable results!

Hope this helps.......

Ta

S

On the desk there should be a seperate out (Mix B or similar) it may be called, make sure its set to pre-fade, and providing the gain on the intruments and vocals is at a fairly balanced level it works ok, can be vocal heavy if its a chugga chugga wahh wah band though.

Note this is not using the RCA tape outs that you find on the desk, its a seperate mix altogether, The RCA outs tend to be straight out, therefore free of any EQ.

Thanks for the advice. It's a Fuzzy, jangly, LoFi Indiepop gig. Think Primitives, Talulah Gosh, Popguns etc. C86 type stuff*. The room is fairly small - 50x30x12 or so maybe - with a permanent PA and a sound man who knows his stuff, it's a great sounding room - but I think the room is small enough that the backline makes a significant contribution so far as bass and drums go, hence my worries about taking it from the desk. Some of the recordings I've heard in situations like this sound pretty thin and bass light ... and my guess is that's why, though I could be wrong.

Other easy suggestions are a zoom H2\M-audio Microtrack or similar sat somewhere in the room where the mix sounds good, or even a humble video camera that has reasonable sound quality works a treat.

Other suggestion is two mics crossed over in an XY pattern, a bit like a divining rod.

Are the mikes on those sorts of recorders good ? We could use external mikes ... I don't think we would have a problem hanging them from the ceiling for example. This sounds like a possible way to go though. How big a problem is it picking up random conversations - if some dickhead decides to tell his mate about his corns during quietish moments?

If you want something "proper" to work with you could perhaps hire something like an Alesis HD24 this is a multitrack recorder of up to 24 channels, use the direct outs from the desk to record every channel and then mix it down to 2 channels later.

Hmm. Mebbe ... sounds complicated. Are these things spendy to hire? I could probably justify buying a zoom or similar to myself for various reasons - including doing other gigs, but the whole thing is low budget stuff and I couldn't really justify hiring something expensive ... on the other hand the sound engineer has a mixing studio upstairs and a big Studer multitrack tape machine ... that'd be more hastle than I'd even want to imagine though, it's a bloody big heavy thing - the sound guy is amenable, he's sound :) but he will have enough on his hands I reckon without having to operate a tape machine.

Basically its live really, and you get what you get, its random, expect nothing and you will be rewarded. However as I said earlier, a well placed zoom h2 can give remarkable results!

Hope this helps.......

Understood. It certainly does help - it's much appreciated. Basically I want it to sound Live - like you were there, y'know :)

* For anyone that's interested in coming to this, it'll be on Sunday 18th July at The Chameleon in Nottingham, £5 on the door, early start for an early finish (probably starting at 5pm and finishing by 9pm, though there may be dancing afterward). The Parallelograms split up last year when their guitarist emigrated to NZ, but he's back in the UK for a couple of weeks and they agreed to do a couple of gigs. I love them and it was a not to be repeated opportunity, hence putting the gig on.

The Parallelograms have a listen to Papageno
Horowitz have a listen to Pop Kids of The World Unite
The Pete Green Corporate Juggernaut - This one's called I Haven't Got a MySpace Because MySpace ****ing Sucks (as you can imagine, unlike the others this one isn't on a MySpace page :) ) - it may be a bit misleading as it's solo acoustic - when he plays live he usually plays with a full band ... drums, bass and keyboard/backing singer.

I know naff all about the detail but a friend of mine used to record gigs with great results by taking a feed from the desk and also having a mini disc recorder with a decent mic recording the "room". He would then somehow mix them together.

The venue I work in is pretty small..........so the PA is mainly sound re-inforcement, you get a lot of drums, bas a guitar of the stage, the PA just brings em into the room..........

I set all my gain on the desk at much the same level, therefore if its pre fader you get a reasonable signal out.

However Zoom H2 and M-audio Micro-track are both marvellous items, it is suprising how good the bass response is.

I went fot he M-audio, it has the disadvantage of having a precarious top mounted (bu removeable) mic, but it has loads of inputs, balanced, digital and 1\8 for the small electret mic.

H2 has less inputs but more discrete for boot legging gigs......

Whichever you buy you will not be dissapointed.

Both have really good sound quality, well placed and they will do what you want.

If I were you try and go mob handed, get a recording out of the desk, video the event and catch it on a H2|M-audio, one of em will work.

Mics in the rafters might pick up people talking about footy.........

I don't know about the cost of hiring kit, I'm afraid.

Also you mention there is a studio upstairs, the venue I work in venue is linked to one of the studios upstairs, so you can do a multi track live recording, perhaps worth asking the venue if this is possible.

S

PS and what RickyC6 said above............

Thanks Ricky and Snowflake. I actually have a minidisc recorder - haven't used it in a while and it's old, but last time I used it, it worked fine ... or I guess taking it from the desk, I could even use a laptop - that way it wouldn't be atrac compressed.

One thing I'm a bit worried about though if I used something like an M audio is where to put it (or where to put the mikes if I used external ones) so that it won't get knocked about. Maybe actually having the mikes on a stand at the sound desk itself would be a plan so long as it doesn't get in the engineers way.

Also what sort of external mikes should I be looking at?

If one were to take a feed from the desk and a live recording of the room, how easy is it to mix/synch the recordings?

I can ask about the studio upstairs, but to be honest I think it's pretty unlikely and I'm fairly sure it isn't currently set up that way. I know the venue well and the staff, but it's the first gig I've put on there and probably want to use it again and I don't want to make a lot of extra work for them. Might be worth considering for the future. Simon the Sound is a bit of a tech head and might see it as a worthy challenge

I would use the minidisc to capture the desk, and stand your H2 or whatever on top of the effects rack or whatever, somewhere near the desk.......(ask the engineer, its probably not the first time he's been asked, so may have a fave spot around his desk)

A good "swiss army mic" is an AKG C1000s, needs Phantom power, but you can put 9v batteries in them if no phantom is available (M-Audio micro track has Phantom)

But seriously the H2 or Microtrack devices have more than adequate Mic's in.

Cool edit Pro is a useful tool for mixing em together, it would perhaps be best to enlist the aid of a young person here, the youth of today are of limited use, but this is one area they shine :)

Cheers

S

Good stuff. Thanks. The Zoom looks like a thing to have.

Couple of more questions if I may.

1) If I were to use those AKG Mics - how would I configure them for good stereo?
2) Is the stand any good?
3) I see it can actually do 4 tracks - could I actually use two for the live sound and two off the desk - less devices has to be better than more.
4) How long can I get max with one - batteries and memory?

Cheers

Tony

I've a feeling Cool Edit Pro may be no more - or has been bought by Adobe and repackaged. Audacity is open source and more than up to mixing two tracks.

I've tinkered with this in the past very briefly and found a reasonable room recording (from minidisc and compact mics) can be used very effectively to add ambient room sound to a flat sounding board recording.

Probably obvious but if you're recording on something like a minidisc be sure to set the recording level manually (and give yourself a bit of headroom to avoid clipping). Most default to an auto-level and will sound horrible as a result.

Answers, such as they are below.......(I use an M-audio, ergo I have only flirted with an H2 to record a friends gig) - I know RichardH form this forum has one, so may be able to anser in a little more detail, he's a top man so I don't think he would be averse to a PM.

1) see this http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/XY-coincident-stereo.shtml or do a google for X-Y recording.

2) I think the H2 might have a threaded hole in the bottom so it can sit on a mic stand, can't quite remeber though

3) I assume you cannot use 4 tracks concurrently, you can probably only use two at a time maximum

4) Not sure on battery, but heres a table for recording times http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/sd.html

As a tip I would recommend sticking to 16bit / 44.1kHz, although there is a tempation to go hi-res, you may find nero then won't burn the files and your editing software takes a year to load the files.

S

Cheers Paul, I'm fairly comfortable with Audacity. NOt sure how exactly I'd do it, but sure I'd work it out.

And thanks snowflake for all the info. I see that there is a Zoom H4n - about £100 more but that allows simultaneous 4 track, 11 hours of 16/44.1 battery time, 6 hours on a 4Gb SD card and a whole bunch of other stuff. I may look into that. Not that the minidisc idea is duff, but that will only do 80 minutes. I want to set this thing up for levels during the soundcheck, start it off 5 minutes before the first band and then just leave it until the end of the gig. Long term it might be a better buy.

PS. 16/44.1 is likely to be plenty adequate I think.

I would say don't skimp with SD cards and record in 16/44. If your recorder goes to 24/48, or 24/96, go for it, you can safely dither down to 16/44 later for cd burning (R8Brain is freeware and works great for this). Better to work at a higher rate in post processing. Unless cost or battery recording time is an issue, of course.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

I have had an H2 for a few years now. It's great.

It does have a threaded hole in the base (same thread as a camera tripod).

Yes, it can record 4 channels, but only via the 4 mics - only really intended for recording "in the round". Ignore.

However, the two mic pairs are set up differently - front pair at 90 degree angle, rear pair at 120 degrees. So pick the pair that gives the coverage you want - for gigs I would go 90. I use the 120 mics for recording band practices.

However, positioning is crucial. They are good at picking up ambient sound - crowd chat etc. I have popped it into my top pocket and taken it along to gigs, but unless you're willing to stand there like an automaton, gag your companions and tie their arms by their sides, you'll get chat/clapping etc. I recorded Neil Young's gig at Hammersmith a couple of years ago, and painstakingly went through and notched out my individual handclaps, as right up close to the mic they sounded like the sea lion of doom.

SQ is great, but the bigger the room/further away from the source the H2 is the less bass response it will end up getting (in my experience) - however, a bit of fiddling in Audacity afterwards can reap rewards.

H2 is wonderfully simple. 3 position slider for level (use low sensitivity for gigs), on off slider, plus record button on the front. Can be done blindfold. Runs on AA batteries. Decent eneloop style batteries work well (4-5 hours at least), but for a special one off gig like that, I'd bang in some Duracell Super Dupers.

I would recommend you do some trial runs of recordings at the same venue if at all possible. I would be willing to loan you my H2 if it would be of help? Just pay me for postage there and back.

P.S. A lot of people seemed to prefer the H2 over the H2 when the H2 came out (the H4 had been out for a while before) - despite the extras on the H4. Just think what you want it for, and go for the simplest device possible, IMO. Our guitarist has a Boss MicroBR, which is a similar mini recorder, but with processing/multitrack options as well. He's always leaving some effect switched on by accident when recording, or hasn't scrolled through the menus to set the levels right or something. Sod that.

advertisement

Back