advertisement

Calling all Harbeth users

I can recommend these to anyone in search for new speakers even if the budget is much higher as the list price for these speakers. They really are that good IMO.

That's the point. One may say that Harbeths are expensive (well, they aren't cheap :) ), but if we consider that to find a better (or equally good) speakers you should pay eg. twice as much, their price is more than adequate.

It really sounds that these speakers are very good, I have a demo next week and will feedback my findings

Thanks for all the comments

Mine arrived today; a quick listen (I'm working, honest!). Listened to a couple of songs from Nick Drake's Pink Moon through the ATC SCM7s and then popped the little Harbeths on he stands.

First impressions are _excellent_. First thing I noticed is that the treble is clearly more controlled: sibilant sounds are less forward and peaky. Secondly was a clearer impression of depth/presence etc.

Much more listening ahead!

Jimbo, what harbethmodel do you have? Looking foward for more listening impressions. Borrowed the p3es2 once and loved it. Especially at low volumes. Qurious about the shl5, hard to get a demo in Stockholm though :(

Mine arrived today; a quick listen (I'm working, honest!). Listened to a couple of songs from Nick Drake's Pink Moon through the ATC SCM7s and then popped the little Harbeths on he stands.
!

Hi,

I supposed you're comparing SCM7 to P3ESR? If yes, this will be interesting, please share more of your experience.

Thanks

Well as the title says, would love hear what people gave to say about them, I am demoing a pair of PS3ER next week and am quite excited but on the other hand could be disapointed in my quest for new speakers.

Kindest regards
I have great affection for Harbeth's speakers, especially the smaller ones. I have always loved Spendors, but having now sold my pair of BC1s that I owned for 33 years (!) I've moved to LS3/5as. Perhaps I should have tried the PS3ER... Martyn .

Looking forward to what Jimbo has to say after he has given them a good listen.

My demo all being well is tomorrow, quite excited. If for ever reason the demo falls through, one of the guys at the Bakeoff at Scalford Hall this weekend has a pair rigged up with some Naim gear, since Im going over there this should give me a taste as to what they are about. FWIW there is also someone with the SHL5 but he does not use Naim gear but still looking forward to hearing them all the same

Well to quote you all, I am no HiFi writer or reviewer, but I listened to the PS3ER and these can play music, maybe in the room in the shop, which was quite big and open, they were possibly undersized for the room, however I did not listen the compact 7's as these are quite big speakers, the picture on the web site does not give this impression. What I did try was the M30, wow, wow, wow, these are stunning and I mean stunning, when we swopped over from the 3R to the M30 the first I noticed is that they sound louder and fuller at the same volume level on the amp, there is no distortion and all the instruments and voices sound incredible, the music is just awesome, which is what it is all about. This is not a massive speaker and sits on a smaller sized stand, it measures 460H x 277W x 285Dmm.

I have just put this to the top of my list, its more than I wanted to pay, but in the long run it would be worth it.

The only reservation I have is that my room is alot smaller than the shop (10.5ft x 10.5ft), I am pretty sure they will perform in there, its just if they will look right in there, if you get my gist !

All in all though the Harbeths are a wonderful speaker, you can see why people say things like they disappear, and more so you dont see many pairs for sale secondhand

Cheers

LH

Every speaker in the Harbeth range appears to work well in smaller rooms. Alan Shaw carries out his listening and final 'tweaking' in his own small room.

I use compact 7es2 in a room your size and they are wonderful. I use to have them well in the room but found that they were better closer to the wall (12-16 inches). YMMV.

This is the first bit of kit I found myself never wanting to change. The avondale stuff did the same when it came along... ;-)

The link to a review I posted in another thread is listed here in case anyone is interested, seems to give a good impression of what they are all about and may have answered my own question about the M30 in a smaller room. The room in the shop was quite big to be honest, and Im pretty sure the 3R would do for me, but I am tempted with the M30 !

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0302/harbeth30.htm

This is a wise quote from that review:
"Small loudspeakers succeed, when they do, by lowering our expectations and then exceeding them."

Not all small speakers do that. I know plenty which lower your expectations and do nothing to raise them !!!

Not all small speakers do that. I know plenty which lower your expectations and do nothing to raise them !!!

Which reminds me of Ambrose Bierce's definition of 'piano' in The Devil's Dictionary:

'A parlor utensil for subduing the impenitent visitor. It is operated by depressing the keys of the machine and the spirits of the audience.'

Hearing the P3s at Scalford hall should give you the info you need to make the decision. One thing to bear in mind is, you may not have a small room forever but speakers that are honest, accurate, *and* connect with your emotions will be a long-term cure for upgraditis.

That is, until you find a nice little radiogram".

However from what you've written, it looks like you'll end up with the M30s.

The only downside to Harbeth ownership that I can see is lots of late, and I mean very late nights. Once again, I was up until way past 4am playing "just one more"

:)

advertisement

Back