advertisement

A&R A60

bob atherton

pfm Member
I just snagged an A60 tonight on ebay .It's in very good nick (I think/hope) is in teak and will go with my Rega ELA 1.5's at work. For now I will use a Cambridge DVD player for CD's .

It didn't cost too much and I'm stupidy excited about it as I always wanted one back in the late 70's. It's only taken me 30 years...:)

If it works as intended you may wonder why anyone would want anything else. Easily as good as most of the much lauded valve amps at big money.

It can drive too!

Arcam (A&R) should never have stopped production so early. The stuff which came after was nowhere near as good. IMO

Thanks guys. At £57 I thought it had to be worth it. Fingers crossed it will be working 100% OK. Will let you know when it has been fired up.

I bought an A60 / T21 a couple of months ago and I'm just about to collect (long story) so I'll join the 'first impressions' chat when I pick it up.

Beckypumps - one A&R 60 seller I came across had a spare (ie unused) wood case for sale separately. He described it as 'walnut' but maybe it's what you're after. pm me and I'll put you in touch if you're interested.

If it works as intended you may wonder why anyone would want anything else. Easily as good as most of the much lauded valve amps at big money.

It can drive too!

I like my old (stock, unmodded) A60, but my valve amp is much better. A60s are lovely, especially compared to the money they go for, so why the giant killer rhetoric?

I like my old (stock, unmodded) A60, but my valve amp is much better. A60s are lovely, especially compared to the money they go for, so why the giant killer rhetoric?

Giant Killer Rhetoric?.........Sounds like something from an REM number:D

Well, you know the sort - my Rega P2 will bury your LP12/Dais/401. More acid trip prog rock I would have thought.

Indeed! The usual remark is that "It will blow that thing into the weeds"............always has me in stitches that one..........like summat from a Spagetti Western :D

Watch all your amps guys..........Nigels brought his flamethrower to the Bakeoff again!!

The A60 deserves to be a classic, but at the end of its life, amps like the Creek 4040 were getting really good and cost no more than 2/3rds the price..

As to successors, it depends if you were a rhythm king or not... I didn't care much for the Delta 60 which replaced it, but was shown the error of my ways by a friend who was a Grahams employee. if rhythm is your thang, the Delta 60 was superb, but if you were a tune-bod like me, the A60 was the better bet (perhaps the earlier the better?).

Servicing A60's can be a nightmare, as loads of dismantling has to be done to extract the mother-board, but they were reliable, apart from line fuses blowing at random. Might it be a good idea to fit uprated output trannies (MJ1500's or similar?) as can be done with Quad 303's?

As the new cheap Arcam integrateds start at around £400 or so, an A60 for under a ton is a bargain, albeit a vintage bargain...

I now have the A60 and I am totally blown away with it! It is in mint condition and is now installed at work with my old Cambridge DVD player spinning CDs and my Rega ELA 1.5’s at the rear. I had some Naim NACA5 kicking around that I am using.

About 18 months ago in the same room I had a Nait2 with Kan mk1’s. I actually prefer the ‘system’ that I have now. It cost a fraction the price and makes me smile just as much.

I had no idea just how good the old A60 was.

advertisement

Back