advertisement

B&W CM1, a powerful amp modest costing

nico

pfm Member
A short question: owning the B&W CM1 (new model) I want to pair it with a powerful amp, however I can't compare the fallow products I have in mind.

CM1 + Naim nait 5i (later + CD 5i), CM1 + Cambridge Audio 840 A or the cheapest solution: Denons PMA 1500 AE.

I would consider either a s/h 'bigger Naim Amp' or a s/h Meridian 557 (or a Quad 909). All of these amplifiers are good current driving designs and will have no difficlty with the B&W CM1. You'll obviously have to have a pre-amp to partner as well.

I have some Celestion SL6Si and these are driven well (and loud) by my Meridian 557 (pay around £700 s/h) or a pair of Meridian 205 Monoblocks (around £300 s/h). the SL6Si's are a similar efficiency to the CM1s

i auditioned the CM1 along with the Primare I21 a month ago they sound fantastic but my pov is that the cm1 tend to be power thirsty, the bass is plentiful if paired with the right amps however they just don't suit my taste.

A short question: owning the B&W CM1 (new model) I want to pair it with a powerful amp, however I can't compare the fallow products I have in mind.

CM1 + Naim nait 5i (later + CD 5i), CM1 + Cambridge Audio 840 A or the cheapest solution: Denons PMA 1500 AE.

You should go and try rotel!! They always go good with B&W.

Quad 909 is beautiful but with other Quad equipement it becomes quite expensive but I consider this.
Rotel RA-04 is not powerful enough, is the RA 06 a great improvement?
Naim nait 5i suit my wallet other Naim I can't afford.
Could (in my opinion) a rather boring (looks etc..) brand like Denon gives a satisfying solution?
I paired them with a 18 years old Kenwood amp (KA-5020) (80W) it was much better than the Rotel RA-04 (40W).

Secondhand gets you a world of great equipment. Older gear can be fantastic quality and value if you buy wisely and service stuff over 20 years old. Stuff like Meridian, Naim and Quad is serviced by the factory at modest cost or you can DIY/use an independent repairer for a sevice.

I spent a couple of hours listening to CM1's recently and have high prsise for the mid and top, which is clear and very natural - they can reproduce violin and massed strings exceptionally well - , with no "smear." The bass is typical of miniature "miniatures" in that you can easily hear the "corner" where the bass plummets and disappears, so R&R doesn't convince at all well.

For cost reasons, I'd suggest a listen to Rotel and, surprise surprise, Arcam with these. If Signals nr Ipswich can favour Arcam's current products and still regard Naim as their current "bedrock" brand then there must be something worth listening for at around five hundred notes. Rega's amps may well find favour too (Mira 3 for example).

There were Crown K1 and K2s on the Forum here recently going at very reasonable pricings maybe they are still available.Try one you may be surprised what they can offer.

nico

It is unfortunate that you won't consider s/h equipment (there are many advantages), but if you must have new then you need a decent current driving design of amplifier, otherwise the amplifier just won't have the capacity to deliver large transient swings of music. I would expect that on past performance the Denon amplifier won't deliver in this respect.

Therefore perhaps Naim and Densen might be your best bet for an integrated ampifier as both of these designs will deliver.

Better still go for the Quad 909 either partnered with a suitable pre-amp or a Quad CDP with built in volume control. If price is an issue lintone audio have an 8 month old pre-owned one on eBay starting at £550 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Quad-909-Powe...ryZ14973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem but of course thats secoundhand, but would save you around £350.

Personally I would look at a good current driving designs of at least 100wpc. I know from my Celestion SL6Si's (same efficiency or thereabouts) is that they really work until a beefy amplifier is on the driving end, and then the bass really comes alive.

What does the B&W CM1 dealer recommend?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Nico, I used the 840a amp with early B&W 801s (which are a lot harder to drive than your CM1's), the 840a was better (with the 801s) than many other (supposedly) well regarded amps and some of the amps i tried would be 3-4 times new price of the 840a, (you'll have to spend silly money second hand or new to get a better amp).

I think richers do a 30 day money back thing if your not happy and dont like it just get your money back.

My dealer recommended Rotel,(best value for money), I'm using currently a Rotel RA 04, maybe good for the 602S3 successor but the CM1 can do better.
I leave the Denon-idea and save some money, thx for the suggestions.

My dealer recommended Rotel,(best value for money), I'm using currently a Rotel RA 04, maybe good for the 602S3 successor but the CM1 can do better.
I leave the Denon-idea and save some money, thx for the suggestions.

I told you rotel will go good with the B&W.

I wouldnt want to turn the volume controls up to 11 with two k2s connected up what speakers are they incinerating by the way.

advertisement

Back