advertisement

Recommend me some Raw Classic Country

strummer

pfm Member
Right, I’ve just ordered a Hank Williams Best Of.. I’m looking for a few recommendations.

No Garth Crooks / Dixie Chicks / Achy Breaky Heart bollocks!

No over-production.

Just good old Raw, Whiskey addled, my Dog went & left me Country music.

An example of what I like is the track used in the Jackass film, “If You’re Gonna be Dumb, You Gotta be Tough”, but unfortunately, that’s appears to be a one-hit-wonder. Johnnie Knoxsville’s uncle, I think.

1950-60s Johnny Cash is the place to start IMHO.

Tony.

Thanks Tony

Well I have the 2 Prison albums (as you know, having joined me several times in taunting Andy H with them :D).

I know they are late '60s. Does that cover it or are there other albums I need?

These are raw, 100% (alternative) country AND may make you laugh as well..

1. Howling Willy C**t.
2. Ween- 12 Golden Country Greats.
3. Moistboyz- I & II (forget the others: these 2 f*kng rock hard).

These are raw, 100% (alternative) country AND may make you laugh as well..

1. Howling Willy C**t.
2. Ween- 12 Golden Country Greats.
3. Moistboyz- I & II (forget the others: these 2 f*kng rock hard).

Blimey, the write-up of the Moistboyz doesn't sound like what I'm looking for, but at £1.98 +p&p, 1&11 are now on their way :D

I HAVE to check out Howling Willy C**t :eek:

I was looking for proper whiney, peddle-steel, Honky Tonk!

Thanks Tony

Well I have the 2 Prison albums (as you know, having joined me several times in taunting Andy H with them :D).

I know they are late '60s. Does that cover it or are there other albums I need?

You want some 50s Sun label stuff and some 60s Columbia studio stuff to contrast with the live albums. A couple of good comps would probably sort it.

Tony.

You want some 50s Sun label stuff and some 60s Columbia studio stuff to contrast with the live albums. A couple of good comps would probably sort it.

Tony.

Thanks Tony

I will look into these as soon as I can extract myself from the trail of Filth the Captain has put me on :eek:

Seriously tho Strummer, I&II on one cd- so f**king great its in my all time top 10: it riffs like Pistols but funnier, & actually not quite as dumb as it sounds on 1st glance.. but basically its no bollocks white trash country/metal. Oh and a drum machine and an angle-grinder solo. Its musical heaven, to me anyway :D.

853779832_m.jpg

You've already got Hank Williams, and he's the best.

Cash's Sun recordings, and Elvis's too, would be a good bet.

-- Ian

Buck Owens and his Buckaroos will do you up right. A modern outfit called The Derailers is good too, in the Buck mold, but with their own flavor. Dwight Yoakam is another Buck disciple, but I like the Derailers better.

If Hank Sr. trips yer trigger, might try Wayne "The Train" Hancock. He gets the best bits right, with some rockabilly 'tude thrown in.

Just going through my stuff... here's some more old classics nobody should be without:

Webb Pierce
Ferlin Husky
Hank Snow
Faron Young
Ernest Tubb
Marty Robbins

too many to list. Out of the above list (once I got Buck Owens covered) I'd be hard pressed to choose, but Webb Pierce and Ernest Tubb are just too good not to have.

Try this...

Swingin' Doors

"Swingin' Doors is dedicated to a wide range of country sounds and styles, from honky tonk and western swing to alternative country and bluegrass, in sharp contrast to the tight playlists and narrow focus of today's commercial country radio.

As might be expected from a show named Swingin' Doors, there's usually a bit more honky tonk than anything else, though you'll hear everything from old-time fiddle tunes and boppin' country boogie to lush Countrypolitan sounds and hard-charging alternative twang-rock."

Try When I Stop Dreaming: The Best of the Louvin Brothers.

Raw Christian & secular country pop from the 50s/early 60s, with lots of lovely telecaster. Ira Louvin was very religious, and also a raging alcoholic. He died with several outstanding warrants for driving under the influence, in a car crash with a drunk driver.

The CD is mastered by Steve Hoffman and sounds great. Really stark.

Here are some mp3s showcasing the use of fuzztone in country stuff - lots of fun stuff there even if completely add odds with what you are after ;-).

And let us not forget more recent records: it's not all Garth Crooks! Bonnie Prince Billy. Plays Greatest Palace Music is a good place to start wherein he covers his own songs in a Nashville style or More Palace Music which is spare and dark. Cash covered some Will Oldham tunes on his later records and saw him as a kindred spirit. One of his songs is rather delightfully entitled "You've got cum in your hair and your dick's hanging out" which should appeal to the Jackass viewer in you.

Kevin

advertisement

Back