advertisement

Linn Sara Specifications

Shane2468

pfm Member
Hi,

I have a nice pair of linn isobarik sara speakers which date from 1982.

Can someone give me the specifications of the sara's? I want to know their sensitivity,Watts, frequency response and ohm.

Thanks

I don't think Linn ever published traditional specs for these Shane.

Power handling is more to do with how the amp clips into 4 Ohms on these, although as you've found, the 195WPC approx from your Klout into 4 Ohms is ideal if you're not stupid with it. A small Krell would also be brilliant too I imagine.

Response is roughly 40 - 20KHz but no limits within were ever given (usually +/- 3db)

As you know already, the AVERAGE impedance for these is 4 Ohms - lower in the treble region - as the amp is driving one tweeter (on one crossover) and a resistor (on the second crossover).

hi shane,
i should have kept old Linn paper brochures somewher at home. I'll check and give you an answer
Jean-Christophe

hi shane,
i should have kept old Linn paper brochures somewher at home. I'll check and give you an answer
Jean-Christophe

My sara's never came with paper brochures, as perusal they never come with booklets when you get them second hand. People are so thick in the head sometimes when they get them lost.

shane,
I'm not speaking of a user manual (I never owned Saras), but of a commercial brochure presenting the whole Linn range.
Jean-christophe

Shane, Linn didn't print a user manual as far as I remember, as it was the dealers' job to dem them with suitable equipment and either install them, or at least talk it through with the original owner, supplying the leads ready terminated.

There wasn't a "Nanny Linn/Naim state" back then, although an LP12 folded card leaflet was printed with rudimentary instructions.

I did look in the loft to see if I had anything, but I couldn't find the brochure that Linn did in the early eighties. We've moved house a couple of times and with the last one, I really thought my connection to HiFi was forever severed. I've since discovered the passion for the stuff will never die and it's very frustrating.......

I don't keep any brochure from when I bought my pair from Hamish at The sOUND oRGANIZATION (Then,next to Southark Cathedral) but I recall something like 4Ohms, 87db at 1mt 1v and best used against a wall. They have been in my main system for a long time and now I'm hoping to refurbish them with parts from Wilmslow Audio and use them in my second system.
They were powered at first by Naim 110 (just fair) and then by 250 (better driven)
Cheers

Hi,

I have a nice pair of linn isobarik sara speakers which date from 1982.

Can someone give me the specifications of the sara's? I want to know their sensitivity,Watts, frequency response and ohm.

Thanks

Hi Shane, Noel Keywood measured a pair for Popular HiFi in July 82. He measured sensitivity of 86dB at 2.5m. Frequency response was measured 'in-room' so the graphs are a bit difficult to summarise in a few words and within the context of other models he measured at the same time. However, he noted "...noticeable dip between 2khz - 3khz in the crossover region until the treble unit takes over and provides level output up to 15khz, albeit at lower level than that achieved across the mid-band by the bass/mid driver. This lowering of treble energy, coupled with a flat measured response from 3khz upwards will make the Sara sound softer or more retrained in its treble delivery than a truly flat speaker, but lack of peaking will ensure a smooth sound". There's much more in the review - I'll try and scan it in when I get a moment.

As others have noted, Saras are nominally 4 ohm speakers. They do have a dip at about 4khz to 2.6 ohm.

As for watts, I don't think Linn were into stating a wattage for their speakers at this time. Suffice to say, the more current you can pump into them, the happier they seem to be. I'm currently using a couple of monoblock Hypex UcD700 amplifiers (with 2KVA power supplies!) and I haven't fried them yet - they sound pretty good, too, imho.

There's a generic owner manual here. I've put up the Sara history and some scanned-in repair notes I acquired here.

Hi Shane, Noel Keywood measured a pair for Popular HiFi in July 82. He measured sensitivity of 86dB at 2.5m. Frequency response was measured 'in-room' so the graphs are a bit difficult to summarise in a few words and within the context of other models he measured at the same time. However, he noted "...noticeable dip between 2khz - 3khz in the crossover region until the treble unit takes over and provides level output up to 15khz, albeit at lower level than that achieved across the mid-band by the bass/mid driver. This lowering of treble energy, coupled with a flat measured response from 3khz upwards will make the Sara sound softer or more retrained in its treble delivery than a truly flat speaker, but lack of peaking will ensure a smooth sound". There's much more in the review - I'll try and scan it in when I get a moment.

As others have noted, Saras are nominally 4 ohm speakers. They do have a dip at about 4khz to 2.6 ohm.

As for watts, I don't think Linn were into stating a wattage for their speakers at this time. Suffice to say, the more current you can pump into them, the happier they seem to be. I'm currently using a couple of monoblock Hypex UcD700 amplifiers (with 2KVA power supplies!) and I haven't fried them yet - they sound pretty good, too, imho.

There's a generic owner manual here. I've put up the Sara history and some scanned-in repair notes I acquired here.

Thank you so much,

That really helped me a lot.

Cheers;)

They do sound good though ;)
Yes, in a FE way. They certainly engage musically. But I can't get past their honky coloration. I have half a mind to build a modern Sara along the lines that the E-IX took over the Kans.

James

I will, after I have completed the E-X three-way, wide-baffle system. I have already found the perfect midbass driver, but it won't be an isobarik. Still thinking about the tweeter. I think I'll stay with the MDT37.

What are the physical dimensions of the Sara?

James

advertisement

Back