advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

No, It wasn't yet a shop the last time I went. I have used thier mail order too.

I will put them on the travels list for next time, but don't they have odd opening hours, or only open on request or somesuch?

DS

Re Mondo in Glasgow

SO its 'Mono' not mondo, as I say its a Vegan eatery and bar and live scene beside a big carpark which is handy.

The same owner owns '78' and 'Stereo' ....... which I havent been too but I guess it tells one something about de old black plastic circles.

Another one of my That London haunts gone:

Eukatech in Endell Street, Covent Garden. Used to be one the best stocked techno shops in the country.

But, on a more positive note, Fopp in Seven Dials is open again, and amongst the CDs and DVD and books, even has a few feet of vinyl.

DS

Road Records
www.roadrecs.com

No connection with the shop except as a customer, thoroughly recommend a visit if anyone is ever visiting Dublin. 3 mins from Temple Bar.

John

Another vote for Road Records. They don't mind me checking the surface of the vinyl when I'm at checkout, unlike a certain record shop in Temple Bar. SpinDizzy Records in George's Arcade also have some interesting stuff.

Nick

From an inspection today,I can confirm my earlier query the Bang Bang records in Bristol has gone.

But the 4 shops in the Cheltenham mile seem to be doing OK, all had customers in and brimming with stock.

DS

Was that the one with the vinyl upstairs?

Or the one with the vinyl in the little annex in the corner?

Or the rather shambolic hippy one just out of the town?

A shame, I was thinking about a trip round those when I was in Gillingham last month, but left it too late.

DS

The one with the vinyl upstairs. With the others closing down he knew he could make a bit of money up to Christmas, but that he'd get out before he started losing it again. I believe he's is/going to trade online with the vinyl.

A report from Northampton:

The Pied Piper is closing down and having a sale with most albums for £1. They have a lot of awful tat to wade through, almost literally, with piles of 7" all over the floor.

(Mike L, there were at least a dozen copies of Paul Young - No Parlez, so I bought them all to stock up on, in cse there is a nationwide shortage after the interest has perked up)

The Spiral Archive is shutting up moving to the Fish Market, with a much reduced space, but he has some good stocks of punk, new wave and goth / electronic / kraut and other stuff. I was very please to come away with a selection including a super rare Heldon LP which I have never seen before.

DS

Had a few hours to kill in Manchestawe today as eldest was at an interview at MMU. So went to Sifters - and it's closed on Weds afternoons! Been a long time since I've heard of half day closing. Had to make do with a rather useful Oxfam in Didsbury. They are rather keen with their prices but got, amongst other things, Win's Unamerican Broadcasting 12" on Alan Horne's Swamplands label. Result.

Cheers

Rich

Nice one - will add it to list as looks like could be a regular trip.

I'll have to try that again now it's changed hands, I found it pretty hopeless previously, i.e. huge selection of scratched records that were pretty much the same each time I visited. I usually ended up checking about 35-40 LPs and buying none as every one was not even close to the grade I require to sell here. Another place to check out is King Bee in Chorlton, now that is a good record shop. The best jazz section, by far, in the area plus a very good selection of everything else. He knows what he's doing but is very fair at pricing. He often flings some great stuff in the £1 floor bins too.

Tony.

advertisement

Back