advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

Thanks for that, Paul. As it happens, I'm based in Harajuku, just "down the road" from Shibuya...

Popped down Brick Lane yesterday to look at the Rough Trade premises - fook its gonna be big!

Cheers

Rich

Likewise Heinz in Hereford sold hifi records and musical instruments I think - as did Duck Son and Pinker in Swindon until relatively recently. Guy

Well, here's a name that stirs some memories . . .

Duck, Son and Pinker is/was a very long established company, at one time making pianos in Bristol. Their record department in the Swindon shop was run by perhaps the most knowledgeable music/recording person I have ever known.

I was new to the district and looking for an LP (this was long before the advent of CDs). It had been suggested to me that Ken Simmons "knew everything" and I should try D,S and P. I took this as some sort of challenge and so went in one lunch hour and asked him if he had "the Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue played by Edith Pict-Axenfeldt on a Pleyel". I was terribly humbled - not only was he aware of such a recording, he knew of the performer (who made only a couple of recordings just after the war), the recording label and was a mine of other information of which I was ignorant.

He was ascerbic and sometimes quite dismissive of customers against whom he would take an instant dislike; not at all your average salesman but he moved a lot of stock. I came to know him quite well and valued his musical judgment - he introduced me to all sorts of musical genres which otherwise I should not have approached. Together with many people from the Swindon/Marlborough area, I owe him a very great debt of gratitude. Sadly, he died in 1988 and the record department subsequently was moved to the Bath branch.

Peter ran the musical instrument section on the ground floor and it sounds as if that might have gone too. I dropped in about three years ago after an absence of fifteen years and found it all changed and very depressing - the upstairs appeared to have been converted to a drug-taking salon.

Thanks, Guy for an interesting reminder.

Richard.

Some positive news:

After the rash of closures on Berwick Street, today there was a stall (OK not a shop as such) selling new and 2nd hand vinyl Plastic records.com

Also Revival records in the ex-Reckless shop seem to be replenishing the stock .

DS

ITCDP - Meat Beat Manifesto - Archive Things

Was in Porth Madog last year and saw that Cob is still going - didn't venture in though for fear of shattering the memory.

Guy

Cob is also still open in Bangor. A small branch of HMV opened recently (but it's every bit as poor as you would expect). Cob still stock new and s/h vinyl ad not a bad selection considering the size of Bangor, plus a really insane CD range of back catalogue - e.g. you want the complete works of Can? They've got it. It's like a timewarp. It even has 'old record shop smell'. I fear it's an anomaly though.

Well, here's a name that stirs some memories . . .

Duck, Son and Pinker is/was a very long established company, at one time making pianos in Bristol. Their record department in the Swindon shop was run by perhaps the most knowledgeable music/recording person I have ever known.

He was ascerbic and sometimes quite dismissive of customers against whom he would take an instant dislike; not at all your average salesman but he moved a lot of stock. I came to know him quite well and valued his musical judgment - he introduced me to all sorts of musical genres which otherwise I should not have approached. Together with many people from the Swindon/Marlborough area, I owe him a very great debt of gratitude. Sadly, he died in 1988 and the record department subsequently was moved to the Bath branch.

I have a vague recollection of meeting this character when I lived in the Swindon area in the late '60s and early '70s. All I can actually remember was that he was playing some Verdi which I quite liked but then went off in a tirade against unions with a record company rep who was visiting the shop. As I thought unions were, and are, a good idea this rather soured my opinion of him. Must be something about Swindon...

Andy

Here's a great one you'll love this, Sheffields biggest 2nd hand music shop, ""Record Collector""....

Doesn't do vinyl......

As an antidote to this thread....I found a record shop off Brick Lane yesterday that I didn't know about. Nudge Records down Hanbury Street. Has this been there ages? I got a nice Lee Morgan/The Sidewinder and a Cabaret Voltaire/Nag Nag Nag (12" with original and #4 remix). Whilst browsing I had to listen to loads of ball-crunching, wicked dub spun by 2 obviously enthusisatic fellas. Nice. I will return.

Cheers

Rich

PS Never seen this Cabs record before in 2-track form. Normally they have 4 versions of the song. And this one looks like its signed by Richard H Kirk.

Beanos Records in Middle Street Croydon is still going (just about) although just the ground floor now. They had a closing down sale last year but did so well they have decided to continue for the time being

Here's a great one you'll love this, Sheffields biggest 2nd hand music shop, ""Record Collector""....

Doesn't do vinyl......

Hi,

They have two shops next door to each other. One deals with vinyl. I hope it is still open. It was when I last went a month or so ago. Need to check it again.

Dean

Beanos Records in Middle Street Croydon is still going (just about) although just the ground floor now. They had a closing down sale last year but did so well they have decided to continue for the time being

Hate! Beanos is dreadful. They rip you off when they buy from you, they rip you off when they sell. They have too much stock and are not discerning enough when they buy. This means the shop is stocked with shit and it is mostly expensive shit. Unfriendly staff don't add to the less than joyful shopping experience there. Avoid!

Charlie

The last record I saw from Beanos was the £8k God Save the Queen 7"

Expensive? I guess so.

DS

Another one gone....Track Records in York is due to close. Just not getting the people through the door according to this month's Record Collector mag. Very sad.

Cheers

Rich

Smallfish is going - first the actual record shop and cafe, and now the virtual one as well, Only the record label is to survive.

Also, I tried to find Bang Bang in Bristol yesterday - I couldn't see it in Colston Street. Can any Brizzle folk confirm or deny its demise?

DS

Another visit to Bristol yesterday, this time Park Street

All gone!

In the heyday there were FOUR shops in one road, Imperial, Replay. Fopp, and that other one that sold CDs.

Onl a few tatty Bananrana singles in the Oxfam to be found.

Seriously, is there anyway in Bristol (other than the treasures in Gloucester / Cheltenham Road) to buy vinyl anymore?

DS

Oxfam in York ...... near Mickelgate Bar has a very good if a drearily 'expertly priced' range of stuff and Europa Records in Stirling Scotland is one of the chaotic gems we all love

Theres a guy in Kilmarnock too who I think has a web site as well he's a very pleasant and appreciative chap ..alas i cant remember his name.

Mondo a Vegan bar and cafe in Glasgow has lotts of new and obscure vinyl

Christmas saw the demise of Mr CD in Berwick Street. The first shop to challenge the idea that CDs should be sold @ the RRP (they sold '£14.99' CDs @ £8-10)? Appears to have been unable to compete with things being available on itunes for less and shops like Sister Ray selling back cat. stuff for a fiver or less.
Was great while it lasted.

Ian, do you mean Monorail in Glasgow - has it name changed?

I always go there when in Glasgow, as well as Rub-a-dub

DS

advertisement

Back