advertisement

The next 007

I might read the books again, in order. I have a full set plus some spares of the paperbacks (already given another full set to my eldest son) and a few Cape hardback first editions, although not all with the dust-jackets.
They are non-taxing and relatively short books which suit me as since my brain injury I struggle to read anything that requires concentration.

The paperbacks that I have are very much like these illustrated - I got them from charity shops in the 1980’s/90’s when they were relatively easy to find. I never see them in charity shops nowadays.

Fleming%27s_paperback_Bonds.jpg
I have a handful of these Pan paperbacks of Bond novels. Worth owning just for the cover art.

I was such a Bond prat as a kid, that I actually had a toy of the 2cv. With bullet holes along the side! The shame.

Yup, it was the Dianna Rigg character & plot around her, which elevated OHMSService to a cut above the others. The music/ score was a knockout too. As was Telly's lair perched on a swiss mountaintop. And the brutish Aston. My favourite Bond film of all.
That lair is a real place: the Piz Gloria on Shilthorn, near Mürren in Switzerland. It's a revolving restaurant, although a lot of the interiors are soundstages designed by the inimitable Ken Adam.

And I completely agree that it's Diana Rigg's Tracy who raises this film above the rest. As in the book, and unlike the "girls" before or after, she is a properly realised character, and the relationship she chooses with Bond is one of equals.

And there's that theme... it's a piece of music that's quite ahead of its time: there's a kind of "techno"- ish rework of the theme from the 1990s by The Propellerheads that crops up in other things a lot (it was used in the trailer to Pixar's The Incredibles). It sounds very "1990s", but when you listen to it and the original together, it's actually a really close interpretation of John Barry's original. It, and others, are on an album of Bond covers called "Shaken Not Stirred" (I think) produced by David Arnold... who eventually scored some of the newer Bond films.

@The Captain George Lazenby bluffed his way into that role. He had done modelling, but had no previous acting experience at all - the audition came via a friend of a friend of Barbra Broccoli who'd seen him at a party. The story goes that after he was offered the job, he rang an actor friend in a panic, saying "But I can't act!". The friend replied along the lines of: "You stood in a room with Salzman and Broccoli, two of the biggest sharks in Hollywood, told them you were an experienced actor.. and they believed you. And you're telling ME now you can't act??"

Lazenby was right, though. His difficulty with screen acting was a major factor in delaying the shoot (it didn't help that Connery was a consummate professional: unusually efficient, and always well prepared). But he was a quick study, and you can almost figure out the shooting order by seeing his performance get less wooden as filming progressed.

Unfortunately, Lazenby's frustration at being out of his depth came out as a difficult, argumentative relationship with the crew, and that, combined with how much he cost in retakes, meant he was never going to get another film.

But yes, it is still the best Bond film, not least because of the ending. Best score definitely, and one of the best songs. I think No Time To Die foreshadowed the tone of it's own ending by quoting the music of OHMSS in several places...

As for who's next, I'm not fussed, but I would like them to reset the series, back to the 1950s of the books, at the height of the Cold War paranoia. Bond got silly when the character became a relic of a bygone age; put him back in his home era, and they could do something really good with it.
Best Bond film, worst acting.

Transparency - that is an internet image, but is representative of some of my Bond book collection.
- mine are stacked in the spare room, but they should have a shelf in the hi-fi room.
I do have a few copies of the Bond soundtracks on vinyl, O.H.M.S.S. is a cool gatefold sleeve with a graphic of George in ski gear in the centrefold

John Barry - On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Original Soundtrack Recording) album cover's Secret Service (Original Soundtrack Recording) album cover
More images
Label:United Artists Records – UAS 29020
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Gatefold
Released:1969

Ah yes I jumped the Golden gun there didn't I. But look you've gotta get a pic of your collection. Go into the cupboard, put a lamp up close illuminating them & take a snap. Then you get proper 3 stars.

I must say you've prompted me to search for some originals on eBay now.

Capt

A relative was a senior member of the production crew for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Sadly I don't recall ever meeting him and he passed away a few years ago. But it's great seeing his name on the opening credits.

Sean Connery touched my Wife’s bottom.
The Wife is still annoyed at the liberty that he took, but I find it difficult not to take some small pleasure from the fact.

I might read the books again, in order. I have a full set plus some spares of the paperbacks (already given another full set to my eldest son) and a few Cape hardback first editions, although not all with the dust-jackets.
They are non-taxing and relatively short books which suit me as since my brain injury I struggle to read anything that requires concentration.

The paperbacks that I have are very much like these illustrated - I got them from charity shops in the 1980’s/90’s when they were relatively easy to find. I never see them in charity shops nowadays.

Fleming%27s_paperback_Bonds.jpg
Bought mine in the early 80s from a stall on Bury market. 10p apiece!

Best Bond film, worst acting.
No matter how many try to re-appraise Lazenby’s performance, he is as wooden as the woodiest tree! Craig is eons ahead and even outdoes Connery. Craig made Bond three dimensional and interesting. The back story addition was genius.Mendes adds style and heart. American beauty anyone?

Bought mine in the early 80s from a stall on Bury market. 10p apiece!

I bought mine over several years as I came across them. I got a spare in Haverfordwest - South-West Wales about a decade ago, that was the last time I saw one.

There was talk of Mathew Chambers being considered for the roll at one point though having watched the documentary it would appear Daniel Craig was very much the favourite of Barbara Broccoli from day one.

Sean Connery touched my Wife’s bottom.
The Wife is still annoyed at the liberty that he took, but I find it difficult not to take some small pleasure from the fact.

Haha! Tell your wife then she's officially a Bond girl. Or Bond babe, that should wind her up. And she should count herself lucky too- that'll defo do the trick.

Capt

A relative was a senior member of the production crew for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Sadly I don't recall ever meeting him and he passed away a few years ago. But it's great seeing his name on the opening credits.
Strikes me that the death of the Queen would excuse ending it. A modern bond on His Majesty's Secret Service doesn’t work for all sorts of reasons.

advertisement

Back