advertisement

Have I blown my blind brother's m6 500i amp?

Hi,
First post on here for me. I am visiting my blind brother and he was saying his hifi wasn't working.

I put in a CD and checked all the connections to make sure power was going to all devices.

I found that the Chord pre amp wasn't switched on.

I switched everything on and played the CD. It played but it was quiet, so I increased the volume - without any change - still quiet. So I gave it quite a turn and at first no change and then there was a very loud and brief noise, like it had blown. The lights aren't on and I have swapped out the fuse in the plug, still no power.

What should I do next?

As Eoin says it has (4) internal fuses but there would have been a reason they blew in the first place. So probably no major damage but you do need to find out what happened.

There’s a mention of a cut in the manual. It says unplug it and check all the connections particularly the speaker ones

Thanks everyone as you have seen, I am a complete novice but have a power lead that the fuse had blown so I have fixed that.

I now find myself back to the position I can hear the cd very faintly - really faintly, but turning the AMP doesn't change the volume?

Hi Cronullalad, before anything else is the Chord muted? Have you selected the correct input on the amp?
I would hesitate to say open the amp up and check the fuses as this could be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
Lastly has anything been changed since the system was working normally?

Surely a connection problem.

Can you just check the obvious-

Unplug everything

Check the speakers are correctly wired up
Check the DAC is connected to the CD input.
Check the DAC volume control is set up or high or not turned down.
Set the amp to CD and give it a go.

Report back.

There’s a couple more options how to wire this up on the AUX/HT input (as the Chord has a volume control) but I suspect the DAC volume control has been turned down.

On this amp you can plug the DAC into the AUX/HT input and set the little AUX/HT switch to HT, in this fashion it’s the DAC volume control that’s doing the level NOT the amps.

Try the CD input first and get that working. Ask your brother if he uses the amp for volume control or the DAC remote.

advertisement

Back