advertisement

This is going to divide opinion!

mikechadwick

pfm Member
Currently residing on my desk - an iFi iCan Phantom Headphone amp. A bit like the iCan Pro meets the Pro iESL energiser but better. Just been using it so far with Stax SR007's but will also be using my ZMF Verite's. Fits very nicely on the desk but still looks like something dreamed up by a deranged design department! Sounds pretty good though and could replace 2 other amps I own.

Last edited:
Currently residing on my desk - an iFi iCan Phantom Headphone amp. A bit like the iCan Pro meets the Pro iESL energiser but better. Just been using it so far with Stax SR007's but will also be using my ZMF Verite's. Fits very nicely on the desk but still looks like something dreamed up by a deranged design department! Sounds bloody good though and could replace 2 other amps I own.
Hot plate on the top as well, could be useful for coffee pot during late night listening sessions which stretch into the wee small hours.

They missed a trick if that platform isn't a wireless phone charger.

I'm sure it sounds very good though.

What amp/energiser did you use before and how is this different in sound?
I've got a Ferrum OOR & Mjolnir KGST. Too early to really tell any big differences - only had it here for a few hours. Initial impressions for the SR007mk2 are that it sounds a bit smoother (in tube mode) and better integrated than the KGST, but as I say, very early days.

Wow! KGST is top stuff. I have one too. Must be really good if better than that.
What's the variable bias voltage stuff all about?

Initially I thought that was two components , one sat on top of the other, then I realised by looking at the little pic they actually designed it like that!
The d’Agostino (spelling?) amp used in one room at Audio Show Deluxe had the same, er, aesthetic: looked like 2 completely different designers had worked on the control stuff and on the power supply. I don’t get it!

At first glance I thought 'I don't like the look of that'. But after careful consideration of the design cues and stylistic choices I realized that I really don't like it.

On the plus side the styling is quite helpful as it lets you know that the people who designed this are absolute w@nkers!

Wow! KGST is top stuff. I have one too. Must be really good if better than that.
What's the variable bias voltage stuff all about?
6 data cards for different voltage biases (500v - 640v) so you can match your electrostatic ‘phones to the correct bias. For the SR007 it’s 580v.
Re KGST, yes it’s really good but if i can get 90% of the sound from the Phantom and run my Verite’s at 90% of the Ferrum OOR then I might just decide it’s worth buying it. I’d be worried about being able to sell it on though :(

Can't same I'm a fan of the looks, I suppose you would get used to it over time, the plus is reducing the amps you already own.

advertisement

Back