advertisement

The Rega Elicit Mk5

Tim Jones

pfm Member
Reverse disclaimer - no one has paid me or given me anything for this post.

As some will have noticed, I've recently had a bit of an amp clearout - the Aleph and the Sugden A21SE have gone to new homes.

Ever since we moved to Winchester over a year ago, I've had trouble settling down with an amp. The Naim 82/HCDR/250DR we moved with just sounded a bit boring and flat in the new and much smaller room they needed to live in (oddly not the first time I've had that experience with biggish Naim amps). And so my Class A adventures began. I don't think the ProAc DB1s I've been running since we moved in have really been an issue for any of the amps I've been running.

In amongst all this, I bought a s/h Brio-R from eBay for a neighbour who had asked me to put together a little system for him. I liked it so much, I bought one for myself. Intrigued by the new(ish) generation of Rega amps, I borrowed an Aethos from my local dealer and was a little underwhelmed. It sounded too muscle-bound for my 2.5m x 4.5m room, although I liked its signature sound.

A couple of weeks ago I thought I'd investigate again, and, suspecting that it might be the right point in the range for me, had an Elicit 5 in on home dem. I've just bought one, new; the first new amp I've bought in ten years, because this is the best amp I've had in this room by a significant margin. Yes it has lots of features - the DAC (untried as yet), the headphone socket (which is very, very good with my HD650s), and the sweet MM stage (which means I can run both my MM equipped Sony and my MC equipped P10 simultaneouly).

But the chief characteristic is the sound - it has both the spatial and timbral virtues of the Class A amps I've had recently (ok, not the sheer holography of the Aleph, but not far away) and some of the things about Naim that I've missed - the grunt and drive, and the capacity to sound completely unflustered at relatively high levels. I have also, for the first time in what feels like quite a while, not had to worry about the gain structure of what I'm putting into it.

I know that some Aethos owners have been unimpressed by the egonomics of the remote volume. Either Rega have fixed this across the range, or the Elicit 5 has escaped it - both the Solaris remote that came with the amp, or the little Brio control that I also have work very well; baby steps on first press, and more serious movement if held. it's just as good as a Naim remote.

I had been aiming towards a Pass INT25, but I think my Class A adventures are coming to an end; and at £8K that seems a hell of a lot relative to the sheer enjoyment I'm getting from the Elicit. So I'm stopping here for a while and spending my cash on more music.

Of course I'm in danger of becoming an even bigger Rega fanboi than I am already, but there is no escaping just how impressive and enjoyable a product this is.

Reverse disclaimer - no one has paid me or given me anything for this post.

As some will have noticed, I've recently had a bit of an amp clearout - the Aleph and the Sugden A21SE have gone to new homes.

Ever since we moved to Winchester over a year ago, I've had trouble settling down with an amp. The Naim 82/HCDR/250DR we moved with just sounded a bit boring and flat in the new and much smaller room they needed to live in (oddly not the first time I've had that experience with biggish Naim amps). And so my Class A adventures began. I don't think the ProAc DB1s I've been running since we moved in have really been an issue for any of the amps I've been running.

In amongst all this, I bought a s/h Brio-R from eBay for a neighbour who had asked me to put together a little system for him. I liked it so much, I bought one for myself. Intrigued by the new(ish) generation of Rega amps, I borrowed an Aethos from my local dealer and was a little underwhelmed. It sounded too muscle-bound for my 2.5m x 4.5m room, although I liked its signature sound.

A couple of weeks ago I thought I'd investigate again, and, suspecting that it might be the right point in the range for me, had an Elicit 5 in on home dem. I've just bought one, new; the first new amp I've bought in ten years, because this is the best amp I've had in this room by a significant margin. Yes it has lots of features - the DAC (untried as yet), the headphone socket (which is very, very good with my HD650s), and the sweet MM stage (which means I can run both my MM equipped Sony and my MC equipped P10 simultaneouly).

But the chief characteristic is the sound - it has both the spatial and timbral virtues of the Class A amps I've had recently (ok, not the sheer holography of the Aleph, but not far away) and some of the things about Naim that I've missed - the grunt and drive, and the capacity to sound completely unflustered at relatively high levels. I have also, for the first time in what feels like quite a while, not had to worry about the gain structure of what I'm putting into it.

I know that some Aethos owners have been unimpressed by the egonomics of the remote volume. Either Rega have fixed this across the range, or the Elicit 5 has escaped it - both the Solaris remote that came with the amp, or the little Brio control that I also have work very well; baby steps on first press, and more serious movement if held. it's just as good as a Naim remote.

I had been aiming towards a Pass INT25, but I think my Class A adventures are coming to an end; and at £8K that seems a hell of a lot relative to the sheer enjoyment I'm getting from the Elicit. So I'm stopping here for a while and spending my cash on more music.

Of course I'm in danger of becoming an even bigger Rega fanboi than I am already, but there is no escaping just how impressive and enjoyable a product this is.
Very interesting:)

did you compared the elicit to the elex mk4 in your research ? (i have an elex mk4 that I love ;) )
Wich dac are you using if not the one included ? Rega old external DAC?

What is clear for me is that Rega was already very good with amp, but since the io, they set a new bar. The io,elex,and elicit new versions are just amazing, and they’re priced in a totally pragmatic way (got my elex mk4 new for 1200€).

The engineer team rega have at the moment is crazy good I think: Terry Bateman, Ashton Wagner, etc…

Very interesting:)

did you compared the elicit to the elex mk4 in your research ? (i have an elex mk4 that I love ;) )
Wich dac are you using if not the one included ? Rega old external DAC?

What is clear for me is that Rega was already very good with amp, but since the io, they set a new bar. The io,elex,and elicit new versions are just amazing, and they’re priced in a totally pragmatic way (got my elex mk4 new for 1200€).

The engineer team rega have at the moment is crazy good I think: Terry Bateman, Ashton Wagner, etc…

I'm using a Chord Qutest for muscle and detail, or a 90s DPA for smoothness.

I didn't compare to an Elex. Perhaps I could have saved myself even more money, but wanted the extra heft of the Elicit; added to which the Mk5 has the Aethos preamp.

The Naim 82/HCDR/250DR we moved with just sounded a bit boring and flat in the new and much smaller room they needed to live in (oddly not the first time I've had that experience with biggish Naim amps). .....for my 2.5m x 4.5m room

I had the same experience with my 282/HCDR/250DR in smaller rooms. It's either the amps or speakers, or a combination of both. Smaller good amps (low to moderate powered integrateds) often sound better in smaller rooms with low power requirements.

FWIW more than a decade ago I compared my Rega Elicit mk2 to a Nait XS in my system and both sounded almost the same with very minor differences. Now it's Elicit mk5 already, and the Nait XS is mk3 now.

I suppose Rega now makes better integrated amps than Naim as they have the modest but high-performing Elicit mk5 and also the costlier Aethos and Osiris which I believe offer much more than the Supernait 3. If I were to pick an integrated today, it would be a Rega and not Naim. If separates then it would be a Naim but these days I'm into high quality integrateds as they offer comparable or better performance in a neat one-box solution. The only downside is the price, and weight (Class A and AB).

Great intel!

At 105W per channel into 8 Ω - or 162 in 4 Ω - the Elicit 5 is still quite a powerful amp for a small room, although most small monitors - like your PROACs - definitely need a bit of power to come to life.

Congratulations on getting the formula right! 🥳👍

Nice post for someone not getting a 'back hander' 😁

Pleased you're enjoying the Elicit, and looking at the price, not out of the expensive for many.

Nice right up Tim, I didn’t realise the Elicit had a DAC, makes it a contender for me now. When I bought my DB1s the dealer hinted that the Supernait 3 was a better match for them than the Aethos, which he described as having a ‘muscular sound’. The way things are going the MK6 will be out before I’m in position to buy!

Cheers BB

This is very interesting! I've been on an amp merry-go-round for a while now, maybe I need to investigate Rega.

Very interesting, I’ve not heard the Rega Elicit MK5 but wonder how the sound compares to the MK4 and previous versions of the Elicit.

Good write up. I've currently got an exposure 3010s2d with MM card on the end of some harbeth SHL5 Plus (for sale) and the combo is very good and smooth, deep bass etc. But maybe not as fun as my old Rega, Neat setup. So once I sell the speakers, might go back to Neat and get the new Elicit, then again, I might go for some B&W 703 s3 and keep the exposure which I think would work well and help to tame the higher frequencies, which can be a little bright on b&ws with some amps.

Used to have the Brio 2017 and then the elex-r, both of which were excellent but the exposure suited my speakers better when I changed. Still have a P6 and dac-r both of which are great.

Nice one. Really interested how you find the internal DAC compared to the Qutest.
I compared the Qutest to the integrated on the elex mk4 (same dac )
My opinion : Not bad but I wouldn’t put 1000€ for that. In some area, the dac of the rega was better.
I do believe tho that using the analog input is better as the integrated dac. I might search a used rega dac-R in the future .

Good write up. I've currently got an exposure 3010s2d with MM card on the end of some harbeth SHL5 Plus (for sale) and the combo is very good and smooth, deep bass etc. But maybe not as fun as my old Rega, Neat setup. So once I sell the speakers, might go back to Neat and get the new Elicit, then again, I might go for some B&W 703 s3 and keep the exposure which I think would work well and help to tame the higher frequencies, which can be a little bright on b&ws with some amps.

Used to have the Brio 2017 and then the elex-r, both of which were excellent but the exposure suited my speakers better when I changed. Still have a P6 and dac-r both of which are great.
How do you compare the dac-r with the p6 with fono mm/ rega exact for example ?

How do you compare the dac-r with the p6 with fono mm/ rega exact for example ?
Dac-r is maybe a bit fuller sounding than the P6 but depends on what you are playing. For example there is a old Bob Marley record I have on vinyl which sounds way better than the Tidal version, so it generally comes down to the source as to which is better. So I would say P6 exact and Dac R are on a similar level overall but slightly different sounding.

Dac-r is maybe a bit fuller sounding than the P6 but depends on what you are playing. For example there is an old Bob Marley record I have on vinyl which sounds way better than the Tidal version, so it generally comes down to the source as to which is better. So I would say P6 exact and Dac R are on a similar level overall but slightly different sounding.
I definitely need to find a dac r at some point ;)

I've mentioned it before but Fyne Audio use Rega amps, as well as some valve amps, when designing their speakers.

Another good thing about Rega amps is that their styling has reached the point where it looks neither cheap nor ridiculous. They're still a bit too keen on plastic but it looks better now.

I suppose Rega now makes better integrated amps than Naim
Interesting, as I have been running my Aethos since it replaced SN2/Hcdr and a few 4-boxes Naim seperates.
Aethos certainly match my current room and setup very well.

While I do have my Nait 50 still in sealed box, awaiting retirement, and access to both Rega IO and Brio, I hardly do direct compares any longer.

Have yet to hear the new Elicit, the older /R didn't impress me that much.

Interesting, as I have been running my Aethos since it replaced SN2/Hcdr and a few 4-boxes Naim seperates.
Aethos certainly match my current room and setup very well.

While I do have my Nait 50 still in sealed box, awaiting retirement, and access to both Rega IO and Brio, I hardly do direct compares any longer.

Have yet to hear the new Elicit, the older /R didn't impress me that much.
I compared the elex-r and elicit-r back to back at a dealer, years ago, and much preferred the elex-r. I understand the aethos and new elicit are similar to the elex-r presentation but improved.

advertisement

Back