advertisement

Decent, small portable radio for off-grid hut?

How about one of these...

I've had mine quite a while with no problems, I use it in my caravan when I don't have a phone/wifi signal.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
How about one of these...

I've had mine quite a while with no problems, I use it in my caravan when I don't have a phone/wifi signal.
Love how they cleaned it up for the photos, or is that just to make it look 'vintage' šŸ¤”

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
He might if he knew that it was šŸ¤” šŸ˜
Grundig.
Thank you autocorrect.
Free, collect from Leeds or Cowdenbeath, Fife.
I know the OP is in Scotland. If that means Dumfries or Inverness, no dice. If Edinburgh or thereabouts, happy days.

Probably whats needed then is an old Grundig or Robert's and a stash of PP9 batteries. .. looks like you can still get them! šŸ‘

I miss my tiny Sangean/roberts analogue worldband radio - cost less than Ā£30, could fit in a pocket, batteries lasted for aeons and it sounded great. Finally got battered into submission being used for the garage, gardening and travel.

I'd buy a new FM portable set, rather than an old Hacker, Roberts or old worldband set.

The former eat batteries and the latter have a million surface mounted components that could go bang.

I recently tried to resuscitate a 20 year old analogue roberts worldband set - the tuning string had ceased to grip any of the wheels - and ended up wasting a lot of time to no avail.

DAB radios also chew through batteries compared to a basic FM/AM portable.

Maybe something like this?

I'm looking for a radio to leave in a small, off-grid hut. Probably use it to listen to Radio 3 and the odd foray into Radio 2, Radio Scotland for folk and country music. Budget around Ā£50. Buying used.
I'd started looking at vintage Roberts radios and then read that Hacker radios are better built. Then I paused and wondered if old radios would just be nuisance; deteriorating components, loose bits, poor reception etc. Is Japanese better? I've no idea when the sweet-spot for small transistor radios was?

Hoping that some PFM ers could suggest a couple of radio models worth looking at? Here's my wish list:
- A proper, old-school tuning dial with sliding indicator
- A couple of pre-sets
- Battery powered. (Ideally, if it could run off 12V DC from a leisure battery, it would save buying batteries, but not a deal-breaker)
- Nice to look at and nice to use
- Reliable and with a decent grasp of signal
- Cheap, good VFM
- Fairly small, to fit on a window ledge and not take up too much space.
That's a huge list of musts for offgrid man but
onne of the modern roberts portables run on batteries, are portable, sound fine, have AM and FM and are not too expensive used.

I miss my tiny Sangean/roberts analogue worldband radio - cost less than Ā£30, could fit in a pocket, batteries lasted for aeons and it sounded great. Finally got battered into submission being used for the garage, gardening and travel.

I'd buy a new FM portable set, rather than an old Hacker, Roberts or old worldband set.

The former eat batteries and the latter have a million surface mounted components that could go bang.

I recently tried to resuscitate a 20 year old analogue roberts worldband set - the tuning string had ceased to grip any of the wheels - and ended up wasting a lot of time to no avail.

DAB radios also chew through batteries compared to a basic FM/AM portable.

Maybe something like this?

Someone on eBay has a batch of old, unused, what looks likes B-stock analogue Roberts world radios for a very reasonable Ā£20. I used to have the same model and was decent-ish for the money, as I recall. Though there's not enough to listen to on SW these days to make it worth buying for me.

That's a huge list of musts for offgrid man but
onne of the modern roberts portables run on batteries, are portable, sound fine, have AM and FM and are not too expensive used.
Iā€™m being far too fussy, youā€™re right. This one seems to fit the bill but a bit pricey.

I saw on a radio geek forum someone describe Roberts radios as ā€œthe Dansetteā€ of radios, but Iā€™m sure this will be snobbery. They always sounded decent to me. Maybe he was describing their repairability.

If off grid means no electricity (ie needs to be battery powered) and no wifi for internet radio, then you may as well get any decent make of vintage FM/AM portable radio. My experience of DAB in Scotland has been poor (as in very variable signal and certainly no use in rural areas).
Have you looked for a Roberts - then get some rechargeable batteries? Roberts have a lush non-fatiguing sound and Iā€™ve used them in rural areas for FM
How often do you use the shed? If not that often then there must be lots of portable options

If off grid means no electricity (ie needs to be battery powered) and no wifi for internet radio, then you may as well get any decent make of vintage FM/AM portable radio. My experience of DAB in Scotland has been poor (as in very variable signal and certainly no use in rural areas).
Have you looked for a Roberts - then get some rechargeable batteries? Roberts have a lush non-fatiguing sound and Iā€™ve used them in rural areas for FM
How often do you use the shed? If not that often then there must be lots of portable options
Aye, no mains services. But decent 4G. I hadnā€™t considered 4G as being part of the ā€œgridā€ (of physical infrastructure) but perhaps these days it is.
I like the feel and sound of old radios. Using the phone to get music takes me out of a relaxed mood a little. I guess Iā€™m just a sentimental romantic.
Plus thereā€™s something companionable in knowing that other people are tuned into the same program and music at the same time.
Yes, I think youā€™re right about rural DAB, itā€™s not great. DAB seems to need a strong signal to work well. And digital interference is horrible to listen to, whereas FM hiss is mildly comforting.

ā€¦
Plus thereā€™s something companionable in knowing that other people are tuned into the same program and music at the same time.
ā€¦

Completely agree. There are relatively few things nowadays where you know youā€™re connected to other human beings purely through dint of a shared listening/watching experience.

advertisement

Back