advertisement

Six Nations 2024

Wales v Italy next week will be interesting. The Wooden Spoon for Wales? Italy are certainly a much improved side and Wales seem there for the taking.

We are the rugby equivalent of Amstrad hifi at present. The game is at an all time low in Wales from club to country.
The only positive thing I can say is that there is only one direction for us.
Good luck to Italy. They have played some cracking rugby.

Ha, deserved that. Never seen so many missed penalties.
Very few converted England tries, either. Awful kicking other than right at the end. I'll call it a very lucky England win, it could have (obviously!) gone either way, it was very even handed with the scores reflecting it. 22-20 would have been a fair score with Ireland winning but the gods said otherwise. 23-22 with the winner scored just after 80 minutes doesn't get any closer.

Reactions: gez
Very few converted England tries, either. Awful kicking other than right at the end. I'll call it a very lucky England win, it could have (obviously!) gone either way, it was very even handed with the scores reflecting it. 22-20 would have been a fair score with Ireland winning but the gods said otherwise. 23-22 with the winner scored just after 80 minutes doesn't get any closer.
I don’t really agree, the missed conversions & penalties gave the score a narrower margin. I think England fully deserved to win. Doubt we’ll get much change out of France but you never know.

I don’t really agree, the missed conversions & penalties gave the score a narrower margin. I think England fully deserved to win. Doubt we’ll get much change out of France but you never know.
That was my thought too. England could have easily been a good handful of points ahead by the close, if more of the kicking had gone over. I get the comments about Owen Farrell just upthread (and don't disagree) but Saturday's kicking performance does show why the selectors kept on putting him in the team.

But on the basis of how we played on Saturday, I now fancy our chances against France, where I definitely didn't before the Ireland game.

Well that's the thing, if you miss a conversion or a penalty you don't deserve the points that you could have scored if you'd actually hit the goal. Otherwise England football would have a flawless record in penalty shootouts as opposed to the current scenario where we generally put the ball into Row Z a couple of times and the other side wins.

Well that's the thing, if you miss a conversion or a penalty you don't deserve the points that you could have scored if you'd actually hit the goal. Otherwise England football would have a flawless record in penalty shootouts as opposed to the current scenario where we generally put the ball into Row Z a couple of times and the other side wins.
Fair point it’s just that the kicking was particularly bad by usual standards.

Fair point it’s just that the kicking was particularly bad by usual standards.
The commentators were remarking on an awkward wind, and a few kicks were missed in both Saturday's matches so there may be the germ of an excuse there, but I still think Farrell would have made at least one of those that didn't make it.

The Wooden Spoon for Wales then. I must say that they deserved to lose, they were very poor. Well done Italy.

On a brighter note, Enland won the under 20's 6 nations with a fabulous comeback win against France last night and the mighty Gloucester won the Premiership cup against Leicester, also last night

congrats to ireland. Very good game from the Scots but not quite as clinical. So Ireland win the 6N.
Well done to them
Just one match to watch but I don't much mind who wins that now. I am very glad to see this competition return as a show of strength and depth across Europe.
Rugby has never been in better shape (well, since JPR Williams anyway) :)

I'm Welsh and we used to say "You can't beat Wales at rugby - you can only score more points than them...."

But watching the current team is a sad affair. They're dreadful.

Dreadful game for Wales. Worst performance of the six nations. I feel for George.

So, settled down to watch the France/England match. You ca feel the emotion - this should be a cracking match up.

It was a good game, and it could have gone either way.
unfortunately, with Ramos on the pitch, you need to avoid penalties within the last 55m.

We didn’t.

unfortunately, with Ramos on the pitch, you need to avoid penalties within the last 55m.

We didn’t.

Yes and the careless overthrow that, albeit fortuitously, gifted France a try. Frustrating to see after so much good work.

A good tournament, Italy is no longer a token inclusion but plays with style and commitment and deserved its better placing. Scotland has really raised its game, and England were far better in the last 2 matches. Ireland deserved the victory, but not the slam so it was a fair outcome I thought. But Wales, deservedly lost to Italy, they were woeful. Head coach vacancy soon perhaps?

We didn’t.
Or avoid letting Care anywhere near the ball. With 3 mins to go and one point up, he launches a piss poor box kick in his own 22, which is 50/50 to reclaim at best, and which led to the penalty. Any 9 with half a brain would have put it out or better still, given it to a back with a big boot to send way downfield/out.

advertisement

Back