advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

Advertising is designed to work on different levels - from the direct "look, five quid off shirts, get em now" approach to shifting any old crap, to the simple "look, we exist" allusive nature of corporate advertising which is generally aimed more at investors and competitors than directly at consumers. Sports sponsorship fall more at this ends of the spectrum simply because you can't hope to convey a complex message or call to action. It works especially well for brand recall and companies with little to say (or whose ability to say anything for legislative reasons is limited) who want to lure or remind consumers that they are there. F1 Cars, football players and anything else that shows up on TV in the right context is basically a canvas for this kind of advertising. Redbull in particular have achieved massive brand recall through brutal ubiquity of advertising.

As it happens, I saw a subliminal advertising executive the other day - but just for a second.

Anybody else think the RB’ kerfuffle’ is a smoke screen to distract from the real possibility of MV getting every pole, win and fastest lap this season??

Anybody else think the RB’ kerfuffle’ is a smoke screen to distract from the real possibility of MV getting every pole, win and fastest lap this season??

No, I think it's a overboiling pot that has been simmering for decades, merely representational of the power imbalance in F1, headed up by a misogynist who once wrote "women who think they are smarter than men" on his website, occasionally the lid is going to fall off and we get a little more direct look into the contents.

Smokescreen it is not, but boy it sure does look like they trying to make it like it is one to detract folk from what really goes on within the sport.

Well if Max tells the press that Red Bull is going to suspend Marko and that his stay at Red Bull ends when Marko is no longer at Red Bull...

Painfull, Mercedes still struggle with understanding their ground effect car, for the 3rd season ...

I understand him perfectly, my mk1 Opel Corsa 1.2 had the exact same problem at high speed turns over 140km/h...

Advertising is designed to work on different levels - from the direct "look, five quid off shirts, get em now" approach to shifting any old crap, to the simple "look, we exist" allusive nature of corporate advertising which is generally aimed more at investors and competitors than directly at consumers. Sports sponsorship fall more at this ends of the spectrum simply because you can't hope to convey a complex message or call to action. It works especially well for brand recall and companies with little to say (or whose ability to say anything for legislative reasons is limited) who want to lure or remind consumers that they are there. F1 Cars, football players and anything else that shows up on TV in the right context is basically a canvas for this kind of advertising. Redbull in particular have achieved massive brand recall through brutal ubiquity of advertising.

As it happens, I saw a subliminal advertising executive the other day - but just for a second.

Ok.

Sponsoring can also work the other way. When Schumi won all the races in the early 2000's I carefully avoided all companies that put stickers on his car. I didn't fill the car at Shell and I didn't use Vodaphone's network. I didn't even buy a Ferrari ;) I bet you guys that doesn't like Max Bull aren't going to drink a bottle of that sugared water any time soon?

Ok.

Sponsoring can also work the other way. When Schumi won all the races in the early 2000's I carefully avoided all companies that put stickers on his car. I didn't fill the car at Shell and I didn't use Vodaphone's network. I didn't even buy a Ferrari ;) I bet you guys that doesn't like Max Bull aren't going to drink a bottle of that sugared water any time soon?

Boys will be boys, eh?

Bearman qualifies 11th, inbetween completing his homework and prepping for A-levels (!), and missed out on Q3 by a whisker.

At one point, he was running 4th, having barely completed an hour or so in the car. I'm looking forward to seeing his race, as long as he doesn't get taken out by a first or second corner melee ...

Shows how easy it is to drive an F1 car if you’re a young racer, says the cynic.

He’ll impress, then disappear into the midfield, says experience.

Last edited:
Others. Mexico and Abu Dhabi. Both last year.
So ... he jumped in a car with only one hour of practice in that car at this track, and beat eight drivers who had actually raced there before in similar cars. All the drivers below him actually competed there last year, right?

So ... he jumped in a car with only one hour of practice in that car at this track, and beat eight drivers who had actually raced there before in similar cars. All the drivers below him actually competed there last year, right?

All but Ricciardo?

Advertising is designed to work on different levels ....

.. b/cos that's the size the effing paper he was drawn on, is..?

;)

[sorry everyone else - private joke..]

Very nice job by BEA today, he has marked his card and his future for sure. Would have been very easy to get into trouble in the first few laps but he did not and could lift his pace at the end to ensure he kept ahead of NOR.

Otherwise, it was good coverage I thought. They kept on the action and the race outside the top 3/4 was fun to watch. What MAG did was impressive but I struggled to enjoy watching it.

I know many find the sport boring right now, but I think what Verstappen is doing is to be genuinely marvelled at. Yes the sport has seen periods before when one driver has dominated, but since I started watching in 1976 I have never seen anything quite like this. Yes the car is very very good, but Verstappen just seems to be in a different race to everyone else including his teammate. He's won these first two races almost at a canter, I hardly get the impression he is pushing yet he is streets ahead of anyone else. Yes the likes of Hamilton and Schumacher had their dominant periods, but they weren't as relentless as Verstappen... it's extraordinary frankly.

advertisement

Back